SOS pad help!!

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Gatsu » May 7th, 2006, 8:25 pm

Okay any of you guys know the toxication level of an sos pad? my pup just ate part if not a whoel one i called the emergency vet they said give her 2-3 tsp of vaseline for the next 2-3 days to help it along the intestines, and to find out the toxication level of it...

any help greatly appreciated!

Jonathan
------------------

www.jh-training.ca

Jon
Gatsu
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Marinepits » May 7th, 2006, 8:29 pm

As far as I know, if there is just soap on the SOS pad, it shouldn't be toxic, but it doesn't hurt to call poison control just to be safe.

Exactly when did she eat the pad?
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Gatsu » May 7th, 2006, 8:29 pm

maybe 30min ago
------------------

www.jh-training.ca

Jon
Gatsu
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Marinepits » May 7th, 2006, 8:31 pm

When you called the emergency vet, did you actually speak to a vet?

I'm a bit hesitant to think an SOS pad can safely pass through her intestine, even with Vaseline. They are awfully sharp.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Gatsu » May 7th, 2006, 8:33 pm

he said there may be some bleeding and diahrrea
and to give her vaseline 2-3 days to help it pass through... i onno he was dr.pascal or something, i was more waiting to ask the question then listening to his full name, but he did say Dr.
------------------

www.jh-training.ca

Jon
Gatsu
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Marinepits » May 7th, 2006, 8:39 pm

I just called my vet to see what she had to say, but no one's home.

Let me try an emergency vet around here and see what they have to say.....
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Gatsu » May 7th, 2006, 8:43 pm

thank you!!
------------------

www.jh-training.ca

Jon
Gatsu
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Marinepits » May 7th, 2006, 8:56 pm

Okay, my vet just called me back and here is what she said:

DO NOT make her vomit -- the soap on the SOS pad is very corrosive and in combination with the vomit, can damage her esophagus.

DO NOT feed her anything else today, except for four or five slices of plain bread -- this will help ease the SOS pad through her system by adding some cushioning around the pad.

Go ahead and give her 2 to 3 TABLESPOONS of Vaseline tonight and for the next two days. This may cause diarrhea but will help cushion the SOS pad while passing through her intestine.

DO NOT feed her regular dog food for the next five days -- she is to get ONLY cooked white rice and plain cooked chicken. This will help with the stomach upset. No treats, no bones at all.

Check her gums now and remember what color pink they are. SOS pads can cause blockages and perforations of the intestines. If this happens, she will get a massive infection very very quickly and her gums will turn a flaming red color -- if this happens, get her to a vet IMMEDIATELY. DO NOT WAIT. SHE CAN DIE FROM SEPSIS.

Also watch for any signs of vomiting, discomfort, lethargy, and/or lack of bowel movements. Watch her carefully to make sure she passes the SOS pad -- if she is straining very hard with no bowel movement at all and seems in pain, quickly get her to the vet because she may be blocked up.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby mnp13 » May 7th, 2006, 9:04 pm

I know for sharp things that often vets suggest feeding cotton balls soaked in milk to bind up the sharp edges. would this help you think?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Purple » May 7th, 2006, 9:04 pm

Kudos, Marinepits for your quick response to this post!! :bowDown:
Purple
I live here

Postby Marinepits » May 7th, 2006, 9:06 pm

That's why she suggested the bread -- most people have that on hand and the dogs will snarf it up.

Also, if using cotton balls soaked in milk, make sure they are 100% cotton. Most "cosmetic puffs" are made from synthetic materials and don't "break down" like cotton does.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Marinepits » May 7th, 2006, 9:07 pm

Thanks, Purple! :D

Having survived a nasty blockage with Mac, I know it's a scary thing! :o
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Marinepits » May 7th, 2006, 9:09 pm

Oh, and if you don't have bread on hand, plain mashed potatoes works really well, too, especially those boxed flakes -- Potato Buds.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Gatsu » May 7th, 2006, 9:21 pm

she devouring bread as we speak. so far shes the same old shiva...

okay i think i forgot to mention shes on antibiotics for influenza.... does it change anything?

sorry it slipped my mind at the time i was going nuts...
------------------

www.jh-training.ca

Jon
Gatsu
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Gatsu » May 7th, 2006, 9:56 pm

ALSO THANKS SOO MUCH FOR THE QUICK RESPONSE IT'S GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!
------------------

www.jh-training.ca

Jon
Gatsu
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby a-bull » May 7th, 2006, 9:59 pm

My girl is an SOS pad freak! She's always trying to get at them, but fortunately she usually only rips them up. ANYHOW, here's some info. regarding the pads that I found when she first did it:

http://hpd.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/househol ... id=3007002

Kudos to Marinepits for above & beyond assistance!!

:bowDown:
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby Marinepits » May 7th, 2006, 10:07 pm

Gatsu wrote:she devouring bread as we speak. so far shes the same old shiva...

okay i think i forgot to mention shes on antibiotics for influenza.... does it change anything?

sorry it slipped my mind at the time i was going nuts...

It's okay to keep her on the antibioitcs.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Jesseca » May 7th, 2006, 10:07 pm

I hope she's doing ok. That must be scary. Thank goodness people were able to help
Jesseca
Devoutly Bully

Postby Marinepits » May 7th, 2006, 10:08 pm

Gatsu wrote:ALSO THANKS SOO MUCH FOR THE QUICK RESPONSE IT'S GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!

You are most welcome! :wink:

I hope everything works out with Shiva! Fingers crossed.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Marinepits » May 7th, 2006, 10:09 pm

Thanks, a-bull! :wink:
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health