Nipping

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby mrs1two » May 24th, 2010, 4:22 pm

How to I stop the 10 week old pup from nipping at everything. I work in healthcare and open wounds on my hands do not a safe situation make.
mrs1two
Just Whelped

Postby TheRedQueen » May 24th, 2010, 6:16 pm

Gotta post n' run...but here's a great article from Dr. Ian Dunbar on teaching bite inhibition!

http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/te ... inhibition
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby EtherealJane » May 24th, 2010, 9:35 pm

Hopefully it's ok to piggy back on this post, since I have a very similar question. I've read that article, but my dog is a rescue, and he's 9 months old (approximately). He was at the shelter from about 6 months to 9 months when we picked him up. Wesley still play bites, and he doesn't seem to understand when I say "ouch" or "no" that I'm not playing. His tail is wagging the whole time, and when I take my hand away, he works harder to get at it :| He's a friendly dog, and he loooooves kids, and my worse fear is that he will get excited and start play biting with a child.

Any ideas on how to curb the behavior? He's a terrier/poodle mix, if that makes a difference.
EtherealJane
Just Whelped

Postby TheRedQueen » May 24th, 2010, 11:01 pm

Here's a link with lots of insight from big-name trainers on how to approach this problem! :)

http://www.crickethollowfarm.com/biteinhib.htm

Also...here's a previous thread on puppy nipping

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=29803&hilit=puppy+mouthing

:)
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Return to Training & Behavior