Help... *sigh*

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby dlynne1123 » May 23rd, 2010, 8:32 pm

dlynne1123 wrote:Is Faust your pup? Histiocytomas are common in dogs under 3 and literally pop up over night. If you keep them clean and dry, in most cases they go away on their own in a few monthes. We onle elect to remove if they are getting messy or the dog won't leave them alone. Your vet should be able to check it out with an aspirate of the cells. So, no worries until you see the vet! Let us know too....

And by aspirate I mean, just a needle prick, not a biopsy.....good luck!
Ryder - Rescue APBT
Panser on a Roll - APBT (American Bully?)
Gretchen - the red headed cat that thinks shes a dog
Prudence - the new cat on the block to put the dogs in their place!
Punchlines Better Than Lojac - APBT (RIP)
dlynne1123
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby BigDogBuford » May 23rd, 2010, 10:40 pm

Yeah, Joxer gets those too. They come and go and I've never had a problem with any of them. Good luck!
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby LMM » May 24th, 2010, 8:56 am

Lots of good thoughts for Fausts big owie!
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby amazincc » May 24th, 2010, 12:18 pm

Our regular vet isn't in today... gah.
She has a substitute, but the couple of times I've met her (the substitute vet) I got the impression that she's not very... comfortable (???)... around big dogs in general, and Pit Bulls specifically... so, I'm bringing Faust in tomorrow afternoon instead.
I've been doing the soaks a few times a day over the weekend, but haven't seen any changes... I also found another small bump on top of his head last night. Which *could* be a bug bite... but who knows?
Anyway - Faust is eating, playing, pooping okay, no temperature. He isn't bothered at all, while I'm on pins and needles... :rolleyes2:

Lisa, the vet tech, whom I spoke to this morning informed me that "we were just talking about you last week"... so,I asked her why, of course, and she told me that they had a "situation" w/a very small puppy (female Pit x) who might need a new (foster)home if the "present ownership doesn't work out"... :shock: :swoon:
She'll go into details tomorrow when I bring Faust... and while I'm kind of tempted to help out if need be... I also got my hands full w/Sepp (and Faust IF this thing turns out to be a tumor)... :neutral:
On the other hand - we do not live in a Pit-friendly county, and this little girl wouldn't stand a chance if she was surrendered to a shelter.
FML. lol
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Malli » May 24th, 2010, 1:00 pm

If it's a tumor? Shudup. :bitchSlap:

It could be a bunch of other stuff, so calm down!

And I hope you rescue the little girl :) If you do, you should ask the Clinic if they have a vet who'd like to help with her cause and maybe donate some services (free exams or low cost spay for her ;))
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby amazincc » May 24th, 2010, 1:51 pm

Malli wrote:If it's a tumor? Shudup. :bitchSlap:

It could be a bunch of other stuff, so calm down!

And I hope you rescue the little girl :) If you do, you should ask the Clinic if they have a vet who'd like to help with her cause and maybe donate some services (free exams or low cost spay for her ;))

I'm calm... considering... lol

And I don't WANT another puppy right now, because we all know that I make a lousy *foster* parent... I'm hoping her situation works out where she is right now, or that someone else will want to foster/adopt her.
I'm pretty sure that my vet would donate her services... when they talked me into taking Clyde, his shots and neuter were free.
I was going to take a puppy from Jens (LMM) rescue a few months back, but when Sepp got sick I decided against it, so... :|
I hope they don't actually have her at the office tomorrow. I hate my vet. :nono: :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Malli » May 25th, 2010, 2:27 am

;)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby amazincc » May 25th, 2010, 6:36 pm

So, yup... hystiocytoma. :D :D :D

The vet took a smear from the one on Fausts toe and looked at it under the microscope, and then she dragged out her vet bible and showed me what the cells look like... lol
I have to keep an eye on it, and if they get bigger in the next 7 - 10 days we'll have to have them removed.
Phew... I am SOOO relieved! :confetti: :bounce:
Faust got tons of cookies and compliments on his "soft" mouth when taking treats - he used to be a snappy/grabby little beast, and we have been working on this a lot - I was very proud of him.
He was very well-mannered, even around all the other strange dogs... and I realized how much I've learned here about dog body language... wow. There was a poodle who definitely wasn't interested in any interaction - and I NOTICED! :shock: :dance:

Today was also the first time I've ever heard Faust growl at a person, which wasn't so great... but, in his defense, the woman he growled at was just about close enough to us to stand on my heels, literally. :rolleyes2:
She responded, not by MOVING an inch or two away (which would've been the PC thing to do, right???), but by saying very sternly:" THAT'S not very nice!!!" and giving me and Faust the stink eye. Lisa, the vet tech, chimed in immediately and said:" Awwww, Faust baby... I'd be growling, too, if some strange woman almost stepped on MY Mom or MY tail!" And tossed him a treat. :giggle:

We also met the puppy, but I'll start another thread about her in the rescue section.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby HappyChick » May 25th, 2010, 7:07 pm

:confetti: :confetti: :confetti:

Horray for wonderful news!

Interesting that the puppy just happened to be there too....but you did predict that!
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby madremissy » May 25th, 2010, 7:32 pm

I am glad he is ok.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby HappyPuppy » May 25th, 2010, 7:48 pm

Yay for hystiocytoma - Ruby's went away in 3 months or less..
Ruby Underfoot, CGC
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby hugapitbull » May 25th, 2010, 7:50 pm

Relief dripping from me...I just can't take any more bad doggie Karma :nono:
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby pitsnok » May 25th, 2010, 8:44 pm

Yay! Harlow's was gone I would also say within three months. She messed with it quite a bit and opened it up and it got infected, but antibiotics took care of it before we needed to remove it. She has a tiny little scar on her leg but hair is slowly growing back on/around it.
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby plebayo » May 25th, 2010, 9:58 pm

YAY! I'm so glad that's all it is!!!!!!!!!
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » May 25th, 2010, 10:44 pm

Thank goodness!
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby BullyLady » May 26th, 2010, 12:26 am

I think I've never been so excited about a histiocytoma! Soooo glad it's nothing more!
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby Malli » May 26th, 2010, 2:38 am

See???? :|

all that stress for nothing!

I'm so happy everything went well, minus the growl incident :rolleyes2:

Sounds like he has a little fan club at the vets :)
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby airwalk » May 26th, 2010, 11:30 am

Whew...I can breathe again. As for growling...well hey lady back the hell up!
airwalk
I live here

Postby hugapitbull » May 26th, 2010, 5:37 pm

airwalk wrote:Whew...I can breathe again. As for growling...well hey lady back the hell up!

I need a 'like' button....Michelle.....
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Previous

Return to Nutrition & Health