Need some input

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby luvmypitbull » May 21st, 2010, 5:32 pm

Hi! This is Gambit's mom aka Trouble's other mudder OR the queen of lurking !! :oops:

Anyway, as some of you might be aware, I lost my bestest-buddy, fur-friend in January. Well, I am about to get a new pup (as in 4 days old!). I have to select between a white with brown spots, white with black spots, or blue with white markings.

Now, this is where I need your input. My Gambit was black with white markings and allergies !! I am wondering, what things do I need to consider or know in trying to choose between a white pup or a blue pup. By the way, to my knowledge, neither parent has any skin issues but will check that out a little further.

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated !!!
luvmypitbull
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » May 21st, 2010, 10:43 pm

Wow, a 4 day old puppy? You have your work cut out for you! :o

I think white and blue dogs both have their own sets of skin issues unfortunately, so I have no idea which one would be the best "odds." If all of the parents, grand parents and aunts and uncles are allergy free then you are golden... if not, well, close your eyes and grab one! :)
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby iluvk9 » May 22nd, 2010, 7:55 am

What happened to the mom that you need to take the puppy at 4 days old? :( Or did you mean they were just born and you will be getting one after the typical 8-10 week wait?

At our shelter, if we had puppies that young, without a mom, we would find a nursing mom who would adopt them.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby luvmypitbull » May 22nd, 2010, 8:42 am

Sorry about the misunderstanding! I meant the pups were only 4 days old now. I should not be taking one for several weeks. However, the mom had 12 pups. She got snake bit on one of her teats the other day and 8 have died !! The owner is bottle feeding every 2 hours for now with the hope of being able to put them back on their mom soon or at least that is the way I understand it! I did tell her that I would help if I could. BUT, I feel if there is any hope the pups can go back on the mom that would be better. Boy, if I had to take it now - you talk about bonding !!!!! I'd have to carry it around in my pocket ! :mindblowing:

Another thing, I have not had to train a pup in a looooong time ! (My Gambit had me spoiled.) I have been lurking around soaking up all of the training posts I can find. Thanks to all of you for being so kind to share with a novice like me !!!

Sharon
luvmypitbull
Just Whelped

Postby TheRedQueen » May 22nd, 2010, 9:12 am

I'd pick based on temperament and socialiability...and generally how they interact with you and the other pups, and cross fingers for no allergies.

Congrats!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby hugapitbull » May 22nd, 2010, 10:18 am

LOL! You had Bob believing you were getting a 4 day old pup also. When I got up, he was ready to wake me up to find out why I hadn't told him about it! Fingers and paws crossed for the little guys to go back to mom!
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Return to Pit Bull Talk