Corn on the cob incident...

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby pitsnok » May 21st, 2010, 3:09 pm

I am in a mild panic right now because last night Degan managed to eat half of a corn on the cob... we grilled over at a friends and the drunk boyfriend brought the last one in the car with us. He was in the back seat with the dogs and I guess didn't notice Degan had taken it. I realized and got it from him whenever it was half way gone. (I was driving so that was the best I could do!) I know googling is a terrible idea but I googled and have seen tons of horror stories about dogs getting obstructions from corn cobs. Am I overreacting or do you guys think I should be worried? UGH! I am so mad at drunk boyfriend!


PS he ate fine this morning. Not sure if he has pooped or anything yet. Right now he is just being lazy as usual. Seems like he is feeling fine.
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom


"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
User avatar
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully
 
Posts: 365
Location: Edmond, OK

Postby mnp13 » May 21st, 2010, 3:25 pm

Watch him VERY closely, and monitor his poop until it passes. Corn cobs do NOT break down in their systems and end up literally like corks. They also do not show up on x-rays.

Honestly, there's a chance it could still be in his stomach if he swallowed a big chunk, so in my opinion it wouldn't be a horrible idea to give him a nice big dinner and then a big dose of hydrogen peroxide to bring everything back up. He'll give you dirty looks for the rest of the night, but it's better than the alternative.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
User avatar
mnp13
Evil Overlord
 
Posts: 17234
Location: Rochester, NY

Postby amazincc » May 21st, 2010, 3:58 pm

Ugh... how big was the piece? I tend to agree w/Michelle, but on the other hand you don't want to induce vomiting IF it's a fairly big chunk that could choke him... :neutral:
Have you called your vet and asked them for advise?

:bitchSlap: *smacks drunk boyfriend for good measure*
User avatar
amazincc
Jessica & Mick
 
Posts: 9814
Location: Holding them both in my heart.

Postby pitsnok » May 21st, 2010, 5:47 pm

It was half of a whole corn cob... I don't know if he chewed it, but I imagine he would have had to in order to get it completely broken in half the way he did.

I think I will probably go ahead and induce vomiting. I thought about doing it earlier, but I assumed it was too long ago to count.
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom


"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
User avatar
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully
 
Posts: 365
Location: Edmond, OK

Postby pitsnok » May 21st, 2010, 6:06 pm

Christine, Tanner says significant other abuse is bad and we shouldn't do that... :giggle:

Anyway, I gave him a helping of kibble, and soaked a piece of bread with hydrogen peroxide...(I guess he has learned that wet bread=throw up) so I had to give him some cheese with it to get him to eat it! But about five minutes later he threw up a few times. CORN COB included! He had chewed it so I guess it wasn't necessary but it's peace of mind!
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom


"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
User avatar
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully
 
Posts: 365
Location: Edmond, OK

Postby pitbullmamaliz » May 21st, 2010, 7:07 pm

:confetti:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
User avatar
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing
 
Posts: 15437
Location: Cleveland, OH

Postby amazincc » May 21st, 2010, 7:43 pm

:clap: :D
User avatar
amazincc
Jessica & Mick
 
Posts: 9814
Location: Holding them both in my heart.

Postby BullyLady » May 21st, 2010, 8:26 pm

Yaaaay corn on the cob vomit! :giggle:
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
User avatar
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd
 
Posts: 1060
Location: E Washington State

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » May 21st, 2010, 9:37 pm

Whew!

I caught Shades eating a corn cob in the backyard one morning. We gave him peroxide and he never puked. I was a wreck until it all passed like normal. Damn squirrels feeding my dogs garbage!
User avatar
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully
 
Posts: 845
Location: Grand Rapids, MI

Postby Malli » May 21st, 2010, 9:39 pm

If it sat in there that long, its good he vomited it up. It could have eventually worked it's way down or caused other problems. You are lucky though that it wasn't whole...
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
_______________________________________
"You didn't know of the magical powers of the break stick? It's up there with genies and Harry Potter as far as magic levels go." SisMorphine 01/07/07
User avatar
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!
 
Posts: 6341
Location: CANADA EH?

Postby mnp13 » May 21st, 2010, 11:07 pm

My parent's dog Emma had a piece of corn cob caught between between her stomach and her small intestine - it was only about an inch long.

It plugged the opening like a cork.

I'm glad you decided to get it out! YAY!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
User avatar
mnp13
Evil Overlord
 
Posts: 17234
Location: Rochester, NY

Postby pitsnok » May 21st, 2010, 11:31 pm

Hopefully none of it passed and gets stuck. I know that's a long shot, but I don't feel completely out of the woods yet! He did eat dinner normally, though.
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom


"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
User avatar
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully
 
Posts: 365
Location: Edmond, OK

Postby HappyChick » May 22nd, 2010, 6:36 pm

How is everything today?
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully
 
Posts: 701

Postby pitsnok » May 22nd, 2010, 7:28 pm

Oh just normal.

I hate that they scare us like this and then just go about their everyday business like nothing is up, ornery little turds!
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom


"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
User avatar
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully
 
Posts: 365
Location: Edmond, OK


Return to Nutrition & Health

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot]