Just have to brag

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby pitsnok » May 17th, 2010, 11:43 pm

I am so proud of my dogs as of late. I often feel guilty because they aren't as well trained as so many of the other dogs on the forum. I think I have always lacked confidence in myself--never really knowing where to start with the advanced stuff. Don't get my wrong, Degan and Harlow are very well behaved, love everyone, and listen well. Walking on a leash has always really sucked because the dogs treat it like a race, and each one wants to be in front. And passing houses with dogs in the backyard used to be a practical wrestling match...it was just discouraging.
Lately, though, we have been taking them more places with us. We take them to our friend's house, and to the parking lot the guys ride motorcycles in. Yesterday we took them to petsmart because Tanner's mom wanted to get Degan a birthday present. We usually don't take the dogs because we have had incidents with stranger dogs. (You guys know all the DA stuff I have been trying to figure out with Degan). But we sort of threw caution to the wind and decided we could take them and see how it went. Apparently I have just been completely underestimating my dogs because of that one trip over Christmas. They dogs were great with every other dog in the store, (except this one cocker spaniel who decided to bark at them...but we just went to a new aisle and they forgot). Granted, we didn't stop to play or smell any of them (I would certainly not attempt that just yet), but I was so pleased that they did acknowledge the dogs, and weren't growling, barking, pulling, or anything rude.
Today we took them on a walk, and ended up running about a mile with them. They hardly pulled on their leashes, and a simple "leave it" would keep them from fence fighting any dogs we ran across.

I know these are really small feats for most of your dogs with their titles and everything, but this is really huge for us. I'm starting to feel a lot more confident in both of the dogs, and really see the potential for us to go further with real training, and going into public.

Sorry for such a long post... and to ramble about something so minor...but I just couldn't help it!
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby amazincc » May 18th, 2010, 12:01 am

pitsnok wrote:I am so proud of my dogs as of late. I often feel guilty because they aren't as well trained as so many of the other dogs on the forum.

Welcome to the guilt-stricken and untrained members of the forum. :oops: :wink:
I know how you feel, and that's why I can appreciate the *small* accomplishments as much as you do. I tend to sweat the small stuff w/my boys much, much more than I ever did - or do - with Daisy, but it's usually my own apprehension that's holding us back... if I was a casual observer, I'd probably have a completely different impression. lol

Nothing beats real-life experiences and training in not-so-easy situations, like a pet store, or sometimes just being out in public, period. So, KUDOS to you and your two for getting out there and doing it!!!

I am very happy to hear that things are going so well! :clap: :D
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby hugapitbull » May 18th, 2010, 4:04 am

amazincc wrote:
pitsnok wrote:I am so proud of my dogs as of late. I often feel guilty because they aren't as well trained as so many of the other dogs on the forum.

Welcome to the guilt-stricken and untrained members of the forum. :oops: :wink:
I know how you feel, and that's why I can appreciate the *small* accomplishments as much as you do. I tend to sweat the small stuff w/my boys much, much more than I ever did - or do - with Daisy, but it's usually my own apprehension that's holding us back... if I was a casual observer, I'd probably have a completely different impression. lol

Nothing beats real-life experiences and training in not-so-easy situations, like a pet store, or sometimes just being out in public, period. So, KUDOS to you and your two for getting out there and doing it!!!

I am very happy to hear that things are going so well! :clap: :D

If I didn't know better, I'd think Christine was living at my house with my dogs. I can so relate to both of you! Kudos to you, Pitsnok - for the small accomplishments in life. :dance:
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby PetieMarie22 » May 18th, 2010, 10:01 am

That's awesome news! No better feeling than being proud of your dog. That is often accomplished through lots of hard work, so good job to you!!
Kathleen (and George)
Petie Marie - spoiled rotten Pit Bull Terrier
Sunshine Honeysuckle Smith - DSH cat that lives under the couch
Sasha Marie - Bombay Mix = DIVA
PetieMarie22
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » May 18th, 2010, 10:48 am

[quote][/I know these are really small feats for most of your dogs with their titles and everything, but this is really huge for us. I'm starting to feel a lot more confident in both of the dogs, and really see the potential for us to go further with real training, and going into public.
quote]

Trust me, those of us with titled dogs still have the some of the same issues...;)

Congrats on the good behavior all-around! :) :clap: :confetti: WTG!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby amalie79 » May 18th, 2010, 10:55 am

Ditto on all of the above!

We take every small victory any place we can get it. For every shoe that Robin destroys :mad2: , she improves on something else-- like "didn't bark/growl at the pet store lady yesterday!"-- and I am overwhelmed with pride. :oops:

So congratulations on your ENORMOUS little victories!! We know exactly where you're coming from. :wink:
"In these bodies, we will live; in these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life." --Marcus Mumford

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby ArtGypsy » May 18th, 2010, 11:03 am

I couldn't HELP but laugh out loud at the beginning of your post....
I too, am a card carrying member of the "poorly trained' dog owner, among the Poochie-Masters...(bows in honor) :+)

As Soon as Erin Gets Out here for a week or two, *we have her room all ready*, Dar, TOO, Will be a well trained pit bull!!!
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby TheRedQueen » May 18th, 2010, 11:09 am

ArtGypsy wrote:I couldn't HELP but laugh out loud at the beginning of your post....
I too, am a card carrying member of the "poorly trained' dog owner, among the Poochie-Masters...(bows in honor) :+)

As Soon as Erin Gets Out here for a week or two, *we have her room all ready*, Dar, TOO, Will be a well trained pit bull!!!

Just you wait...I'll get out there someday! 8)
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby ArtGypsy » May 18th, 2010, 11:19 am

TheRedQueen wrote:
Just you wait...I'll get out there someday! 8)

With Bated Breath, Darling..... :D :dance:
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby airwalk » May 18th, 2010, 12:30 pm

I am so proud of my dogs as of late. I often feel guilty because they aren't as well trained as so many of the other dogs on the forum. I think I have always lacked confidence in myself--never really knowing where to start with the advanced stuff. Don't get my wrong, Degan and Harlow are very well behaved, love everyone, and listen well. Walking on a leash has always really sucked because the dogs treat it like a race, and each one wants to be in front. And passing houses with dogs in the backyard used to be a practical wrestling match...it was just discouraging.

I couldn't help but chuckle...I too am a card carrying member of the untrained owner club. You just need to read my ongoing saga of Doogie, the carpet shark, table leg and chair leg gnawer...haven't figured out stay yet...and Magic...the Pinhead!

Welcome...sounds like you are doing better than I.
airwalk
I live here

Postby pitsnok » May 18th, 2010, 1:55 pm

Well, I am glad to know I'm not alone! :giggle:
And thanks for all the kind words, guys. I'm glad you all can appreciate the small things as much as I do!
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Return to Training & Behavior