Lifelong Journey on the Road with Spirit

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby amazincc » March 23rd, 2010, 1:19 pm

Wow... :shock:

Glad it turned out alright... hugs (to you) and butt scratches (to Sprit) coming from NC...
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby beemerchef » March 26th, 2010, 10:37 am

Far away destination, short trip! TX

Sometimes it just does not work out and it all happens for the best. As Spirit is healing, even still finding new bruises and skid marks on him, I probably, likely, surely thought wrong planning to go near and around Amarillo for some roadside attractions. We spend the night in Alpine, we left in the morning and turned around within a few miles as the road was just feeling to wobbly. Long story short it is now antibiotics for ten days due to bronchitis. It happens to the best of us, it was in the cards to just stay here and now we can both heal together. Things have changed quite a bit since Spirit's incident. He has changed. He did not run off purposely, he did it from fear as who knows what had happened to him his first year while being abused, but the fact remains that he was out there for hours and he did not like it. He is not a changed Dog, he just is so much closer to me with a look that says a lot only me can understand it's silent words. A good Friend of mine wrote in his own words how it is and what it is to travel with such a Buddy, it hit home so much that I took the liberty to post it in our Journal.
Till next time, you be well... we are trying!
Ara & Spirit
beemerchef
Confident Young Bully

Postby beemerchef » March 28th, 2010, 8:42 pm

On the road to healing. TX

Amazing how one can get sick in one day, bronchitis in this case of mine, and yet takes forever to even start feeling half human. Spirit however is back up and running, incredible healing power. We are a week away from departure to first Northern Arizona, where we will be joining an off road Expedition called “The Carbon Neutral Expedition”, it will be then on to Overland Expo in Amado. It will be time to turn on the SPOT soon which I have intentionally lately turned off due to, I would not say unpleasant surprises but... how would you like to be 100% public about your whereabouts 24/7/365? That share web page brought in some unforeseen phenomenons to say the least. In the meantime it is a couple leisurelyy rides to Terlingua, bumping into the owners of “MotoQuest”, a Motorcycle Tour Company, some search for healthy food and here a visit from some of the riders from San Antonio. The energy just has not been there, but down or not, there is never a dull moment, dull is not something I care for these days as I am internally really excited about new horizons, roads and scenery laid out ahead of us. We are only a tire and oil change away from it all, another final visit to the the Dentist, and that will be it when we can say our good byes to our Dear Friends surrounding us.
Till next time...
Be well, Ara & Spirit
beemerchef
Confident Young Bully

Postby beemerchef » March 31st, 2010, 11:17 pm

From my “hideaway” on River Rd, Big Bend. TX

I keep watching this video we made (yes... we!) riding some back roads around here and I cannot help thinking how crazy this Dog named Spirit is! I sure would never sit in that car as it goes. He loves it and actually it is interesting to see what he really is doing while I am chauffeuring him around. So it hit 100 today and now I am wondering what to do! I forgot what heat was. If it goes up to 104 it will be a “100 degree” difference from just a few weeks ago. Shade and water are again our main ingredients throughout these times. Such was the case yesterday as taking our last ride to River Road while still here. Many ride it, I personally like to find my little hideaways, hike to the bank and with a bit of shade, some water with us, just be listening to the Rio Grande travel by on his own Journey. It is and has been quiet, one could at times hear a car go by, but mainly all is undisturbed, the flowers are up, I thought I was going to miss them, just a beautiful setting when one takes that time to be within. Besides it all just getting ready to take off, taking care of the little “fixings”, better to do it here than there!
Some thoughts about my Friend Bill, some Photos and a video of Spirit riding...
Be well, always.
Ara & Spirit
beemerchef
Confident Young Bully

Postby beemerchef » April 4th, 2010, 10:45 am

Departure. Reminiscing on photos and words. Tx [video]

I think we are leaving at the proper time with the temperature up scaling all the way up to 107 a couple days ago and turning into a normal 100 every afternoon. The time has come, I don't know if Spirit is excited or not, I know I am, even if still in the midst of packing up, making sure we will not be stranded from any inattention only a few miles from here. Strange winter? Short... long... Who knows at this point, what I know is that we made it here another season and the road calls as strong as ever as if we had not gone anywhere lately. Big Bend sure has become a destination, we have met more Friends here than ever on the road, we think it is at the “end of the world” but it is not stopping many from incoming and having a good time within this space. There are still more to come that have e mailed me, we will not be here, I hope they can find some good shade.
Strange enough I know where we are going! Bisbee first through El Paso. Then on to the north shore of Lake Powell to meet the “Carbon Neutral Expedition” and drop back down to Amado for a few days of “Overland Expo”. As usual the last days of April in Valley of the Gods where the balloons fly the last weekend, Muley Point, push on north for more destinations. New ones, old one, seen and unseen.
Till next time, you be well...
Maybe we will see you on the road.
Ara & Spirit
beemerchef
Confident Young Bully

Postby beemerchef » April 7th, 2010, 10:26 am

Up to El Paso. TX

We left a bit early from the heat getting to us. I think spring is bypassing Big Bend and decided to get right into the summer 100's on a daily basis. We have by now also gone through El Paso and sitting for a couple days at the “Silverado Ranch” in between Douglas and Bisbee. Spend one more night in Alpine, last minute errands and on for the ride that should last months. Besides a fearful head wind which seemed to turn around with us every which way we went, the road was magnificent, specially once off highway 10, taking 80 southbound toward Douglas. Old stumping grounds... For some reason the traffic and the noise and the races on going where not a shock this time to my system. I had no vision for anything else but that. The masses are traveling east and west on this southerly a bit warmer route, Freeways are never my choice, but I think we are off of them for a long time now. Trying to find a good route to Lake Powell as I know that will also be difficult specially if we want to avoid the paved roads. Will try.
One last look at Alpine... it already seems a distant memory.
Be well...
Ara & Spirit
beemerchef
Confident Young Bully

Postby beemerchef » April 10th, 2010, 12:55 am

On to Bisbee on a “yellow” Highway. AZ

I cannot recommend enough to get on Highway 80 from Lordsburg to Douglas via Rodeo off of 10 in New Mexico, even with a detour to Portal. I know the “other side” of the Mountain with names such as Benson and Tombstone is a decision clincher, but... there will never be a regret on 80. Parking was a bit rough as the shoulders are very narrow and the adjacent dirt road is used by the Border Patrol, and yet we managed as we always do to stop here and there. I would have preferred to walk it honestly. A new space to hang our helmets for a couple of days, “Silverado Ranch” with enough animals running around for me to qualify it as a Zoo! Because of the Overland Expo commitment, for the first time I feel a bit under a schedule, also meeting the “Carbon Neutral Expedition” in a couple of days on the North Shores of Lake Powell, we can then go on to Valley of the Gods and resume our snail speed like travels. All I can add is that it feels good, busy or not, it is a different pace then what winter was as I am just realizing that fact, the huge difference between camping at “The Oasis” and on “The Road”. Enjoy 80... we did.
Be well, always.
Ara & Spirit
beemerchef
Confident Young Bully

Postby beemerchef » April 20th, 2010, 9:50 pm

Overland Expo days. AZ

There has been no shortage of excitement for the past week, there has been a shortage of time. I was even stumbling when opening up my laptop last night for the first time in days, it seemed foreign to me, a concept left behind but quickly re-emerging throughout our time resting in Phoenix in, I feel, a well deserved Motel room. It was first joining the Carbon Neutral Expedition toward an incredible off road destination: the South Rim of the Grand Canyon through Navajo Reservation. The next day on to some BLM land that felt and looked as we were in the heart of the African Serengeti, and finally arriving at Overland Expo in Amado, Arizona. There, it was busy busy! Classes, off road vehicles and trailers, camping gear, gadgets and the main ingredient: people. Surprised as to many have known about our own Journey most of the time was spend chatting and Spirit posing for photos... (not me!). Sunday night ended with the icing on the cake in a form of an incredible buffet dinner where my diet totally and well worth it went out of the window. Overall, I am looking forward to the next year's event and quickly realized that the compromise of changing our traveling ways for a few days was so much worth meeting the so many incredible others present. A few photos made their way on our Journal...
Be well, always.
Ara & Spirit
beemerchef
Confident Young Bully

Postby beemerchef » April 23rd, 2010, 10:33 pm

More of Overland Expo. From Page. AZ

An overload of good memories is an understatement and yet even "good" has taken us a few days to balance out again our nights and days on the road. Sifting through the cards received, the photos taken, putting faces again behind names, one more look at all the vehicles, the vendors booths and thinking deeply about the ones met themselves never slowing down from a forward motion supporting more than worthwhile causes. Overland Expo is indeed not to be missed. It is all about the people, their knowledge shared through the many classes, it is about the vehicles, but the emphasis remains on the souls present, the ones for us that extended their hands and conversations as them being old Friends of our Journal meeting us for the first time, as ourselves for the first time going through such an experience. Some mild hiking around Lake Powell with Spirit off his leash brought us back to our partnership throughout this Journey, his tail was wagging all day loosing this look he has had these past days in consternation of a crowd surrounding him. It's all good and more. Getting ready to head out tomorrow morning for a short ride and sit for a while at Valley of the Gods. More photos on the Journal I hope you will enjoy.
Be well... always.
Ara & Spirit
beemerchef
Confident Young Bully

Postby beemerchef » April 28th, 2010, 10:28 am

From Lake Powell to Valley of the Gods. Utah

The real Utah is our stage again. I told myself that we will skip this State on our upcoming adventures for a couple years, it is now for that reason holding a special space in my heart. From a rough winter we have fallen into such complete perfect weather. The winds howling often are keeping the 80's nearing 90's tolerable, the red so familiar dust is again in our faces and being dragged around with each step taken. We spend a couple days around Lake Powell upon returning from Overland Expo. The forecast gave way for some nice shots of the Lake under different cloud formations, always more attractive than a clear blue sky. Just living out here in the Desert. Riding, cooking and also realizing that I never took care of my phone situation. Tomorrow we will ride to Farmington, and visit a Verizon store to get back on track as I should have never joined AT&T who has kicked me out from total roaming, meaning no cell service for the past few days. Some photos, my thoughts on our sense of freedom and a link of an interview video from Overland Expo.
You be well... always.
Ara & Spirit
beemerchef
Confident Young Bully

Postby beemerchef » April 30th, 2010, 8:38 pm

Crazy weather! Valley of the Gods. UT

The day they flew the balloons, Sunday, was the last nice day I can remember. It has been winds with 70mph bursts, this morning snow and tonight down to the 20's. We have moved to Bluff to take shelter and let it all pass, that is if it ever does! I am not loosing hope, just feeling as being in this strange tunnel where Mother Nature reigns and upset for the time being, real upset. It was however great to see the familiar faces surrounding the Balloons, exchanging our Life thoughts from the past year that has gone by. It was like a marker, a small circle of time that had closed and opening up another one. The visits were brief. Many live far and I don't think they were very happy to be there for three days and only able to fly at the most a couple hours once. Maybe we left Texas too early I was thinking looking up at the forecast. A dash west maybe, but that is too far far now as we need to be back in Moab around mid May. Next week looks promising, Spirit and I will just rest up for the time being and enjoy this Life on the road we have embraced as we always have, dark or blue skies, either way. There is no schedule. I added another “one pan” cooking recipe to the Journal with a bit better explanation of the logistics of the scenario.
Enjoy and be well...
Ara & Spirit
beemerchef
Confident Young Bully

Postby amazincc » April 30th, 2010, 9:23 pm

beemerchef wrote:I added another “one pan” cooking recipe to the Journal with a bit better explanation of the logistics of the scenario.

That looks SOOO good!!! :shock: :drool: :yum:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby mnp13 » May 2nd, 2010, 11:09 pm

Such beautiful pictures!

I think the weather is quite nice in the north east in the spring and summer, and it's a very rare day that even goes into the mid 90's before August and even then there are only a few of those.

So if you ever decide to cruise on out here, you just let us know! :)
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby beemerchef » May 4th, 2010, 7:00 pm

I think will come East in the fall of next year... we are due!

“Hovenweep”. Utah

Amazing how much the “weather” can uplift the moral or send someone spiraling down after days of inactivity due to freezing cold and winds unable to confront. Reading some painful words written by my Friend Bill accentuated the spirits into a not so cheerful frame of mind these past couple days. Maybe this was the last page of it for a while as we are now back to more than perfect conditions, so doable to go riding again and explore the so many back roads I keep discovering in Utah even if we have been previously here numerous times. Such was the case onto “Hovenweep” where actually as a pleasant surprise for a National Park, Dogs are allowed on the 2 mile trail on a leash. The skies were so perfect with bursts of cotton like clouds, a nice cool breeze and the sight of the ancient ruins build right on the cliffs of the canyon, well, that was pretty unbelievable. Spirit is happy again to find his way around the bushes and be my shadow while hiking, stopping patiently for every picture taken when the camera rises, he is just so perfect of a companion, a nice person always. The locals are giving me some tips of more roads than we will probably have time to ride before heading up to Moab, they keep telling me they are “secrets”, probably tomorrow will get onto some of them to discover more what I call “inland” spaces.
Enjoy “Hovenweep”...
Be well...
Ara & Spirit
beemerchef
Confident Young Bully

Postby beemerchef » May 7th, 2010, 8:27 pm

Muley Point, Moky Dugway... Utah

The escapes, mental and physical, are here, right in this region where one does not even need to think or choose right or left, they only need to go where their Spirits take them. We do it just about every day discovering new roads, paved ones, unpaved ones of all shapes, sizes and conditions. It is a smorgasbord of avenues, an endless one as only needing to let Mother Time behind and acquire a pace to allow the senses to take it all in. I know again since we are moving on to Moab on Monday that we will leave behind some unridden roads. As usual, nothing new with that concept as it really does not matter. What matters are the moments spend on the ones we have experienced as some day, one day, I know we will come back and all again will be brand new as a never ending circle on this Journey we are on. Muley Point, Moky Dugway and all surrounding areas are like magic to me. The green and lush Mesa as suddenly as with a giant scoop all drops down into a real Desert. That is when looking at the big picture, an incredible one.
Hoping you can relate and visit these spaces if you have not yet.
Be well, always.
Ara & Spirit
beemerchef
Confident Young Bully

Postby beemerchef » May 11th, 2010, 9:32 am

The “Goodness” of People. Utah

Sorry, no photos of cheeseburgers or beer flowing or gas stations today. :-). In reality my thoughts did not have any photos. Only this unseen but oh! so much felt feeling emanating from others we have met I call “goodness”. The Journey, the Adventure, they have never only provided a physical enjoyment as truly believing in “mind over matter”, as the moments, without a rest have been, by choice I must say, a never ending uphill climb as I seem to see and discern a bit more with each step of it's summit standing clear and free ahead of me. The spaces we have landed on, they all have had their rewards in more ways than one and so often I am always reminded of the positive exchanges I have with others when only being true with respect and understanding as maybe they themselves do not have as myself this freedom of thought and time I have chosen. It has been day after day while a bit at a stand still having to take care of some logistics, some good moments with others, strangers truly we will probably never see again but remember because of their kindness. This all have reminded me of sometimes hearing stories from others returning from their own Journey with enormous amounts of “complains”, specially when coming back from a Foreign Country. I listen, or read, often with a smile as I know invariably the problem “is” the traveler's lack of respect or the belief that they are still in their own Hometown and all should go according to the daily life they are so used to. It just does not work that way. A couple stories...
Be well... Always.
Ara & Spirit
beemerchef
Confident Young Bully

Postby beemerchef » May 15th, 2010, 9:52 pm

Road trip... Moab. Ut

Whirlwind... that is the only word that right now comes to mind. The weather? Well... we might have seen a few minutes of sunshine, heavy rains right now, photos are with an “all gray” and “dull” feeling. So we have “hang out” as in the old days. Hang out in town and had the best Pizza within I would like to say a couple thousands of miles from a street vendor. We have met travelers riding the country, riding the world. We had dinner with Friends I had not seen in too many years back from my days in the Georgia Mountains. Spirit had a nice visit for his last yearly shot, we are all set now for Canada and Mexico when they present themselves. In other words we have been busy doing seemingly nothing! I forget the chatting part, the socializing which is never ending as in waves new faces appear and all ends up being a good time. Tau, Adam, Rodolfo, Irene and I forget already a few. We have been able however to get up to the land where the Desert Rocks Music Festival will take place in about 10 days. It is at the clearing stage. Will be camping permanently there for a couple of weeks starting Monday most likely, weather permitting. It can only get better from here...

Be well, always.

Ara & Spirit
beemerchef
Confident Young Bully

Postby beemerchef » May 19th, 2010, 9:16 am

The Arches, again, and a video from Bisbee. UT

We are now camping out about 10 miles south of Moab, mid way up the Mountains and I myself have to look at the photos of the past couple of days to be reassured that once again this deluge of rain and winds will eventually stop as it has before. Maybe I should be a spotter for the Weather site as I sure have my share of keeping up with it. The two beautiful days past were however glorious and energizing. I could not help going back into the Arches National Park, well filled this time with traffic, trying to dodge the four wheelers on their way seemingly to the finish line of the day's NASCAR race. Honestly.
The masterpieces stood there as they have been for centuries, their hues in constant change from a sky garnished with cotton ball clouds, all and all a setting so magical it never cease to amaze me, as often as we have been present. All is quiet here for now, the stages for the Festival are being set up, everyone is part of a Friendly Community we have been accepted in, specially Spirit who has some new cousins with whom he just does not stop to play with. Sometimes I so much wish we were three instead of two, but then the logistics totally change and the need of a bigger sidecar!!!
Enjoy the Arches...
Be well, always.
Ara & Spirit
beemerchef
Confident Young Bully

Postby beemerchef » May 23rd, 2010, 12:29 pm

The Music is landing in Moab, Utah

So busy lately as already camped out at the site of The Desert Rocks Music Festival. Devoting my time taking photographs of the set up as it is quite an undertaking from this group of welcoming volunteers. There is going to be some incredible Live Music for four nights, many here are Artists in many genres with their display of lights, musical montages all powered by roughly 8000 watts of solar panels. In the meantime we have not stopped hanging out in Moab (eating Pizza...) and taking advantage also of the good weather for some local rides. Even trying to render a video of us climbing Shaffer trail, this year not such a good road as all the dirt has washed away leaving rocks protruding and scraping “Old Faithful”. The next leg of the Journey has already made it's mark in my mind. California Lost Coast with the Sierras in between, Oregon, Washington and who knows, might push ourselves into Canada. Will try for the obscure roads, the ones less traveled were pitching a tent is free and hidden...
Suggestions are very welcome...
Not much else is going on, we are almost considered locals now!
Enjoy...
Be well, always.
Ara & Spirit
beemerchef
Confident Young Bully

Postby amazincc » May 26th, 2010, 2:00 am

beemerchef wrote: Will try for the obscure roads, the ones less traveled were pitching a tent is free and hidden...
Suggestions are very welcome...

Ara & Spirit

Uhm... I know of a VERY nice big yard close to an obscure road that is hardly ever traveled, in Concord, NC. Pitching a tent is free and hidden, but Spirit is more than welcome to sleep in the extra bedroom. :dance: :D
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

PreviousNext

Return to Pit Bull Talk