BUTT SEEPAGE....

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby ArtGypsy » May 15th, 2010, 9:54 am

:puke: :puke:

Okay, I know this is gross....
But lately Dar has been having more of these 'moments' when he 'leaks'. :| :|
Maybe all dogs have this gross-ness occur, but he's on the bed/couch with us pretty much anytime he's in the house, so obviously, this is a problem.

Sometimes 'it' seems relatively 'light' in color; and once or twice the leakage was brownish.
But THAT SMELL is always the same.
HORRIFIC. :confused: :doh: :confused: :doh:

Is this an anal gland thing?
A _pre-poop_ thing? **even if I let him out right away, he doesn't poop**

But it's YUCKY, you guys...............
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby pitbullmamaliz » May 15th, 2010, 10:13 am

Anal glands. He may need them expressed.

And could you possibly have chosen a grosser title for this thread??? lol
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby ArtGypsy » May 15th, 2010, 10:18 am

pitbullmamaliz wrote:Anal glands. He may need them expressed.

And could you possibly have chosen a grosser title for this thread??? lol

:oops: :rolleyes2: :oops: :rolleyes2: :oops: :rolleyes2:

I wanted to make sure people noticed the thread. :dance:
ArtGypsy

Postby plebayo » May 15th, 2010, 10:19 am

Anal Glands.

This is why Seth doesn't have his. He used to let loose in the car and it wasn't as big of a deal then but one night at 2am he leaked onto my bed. No thanks.

Also even when we expressed them they would fill right away and honestly I think if your dog has to have them expressed regularly it becomes a bigger problem because then they really stop expressing them themselves. However maybe you could get lucky and only have to bring him in once a month or something to have them expressed?

Something to try would be to add more fiber to his diet - making his poop hard - thus he might express them when he goes potty like he's supposed to.

I have to say removing Seth's anal glands was the best elective surgery I've ever gone for next to neutering.

I should add that my vet does them a lot so he has good experience with it. The risks are that your dog could become incontinent, have some nerve damage etc. We've done several of these surgeries and never had an issue. Seth healed up no problems.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby Ino » May 15th, 2010, 10:21 am

Ino has the same thing sometimes...yuck!!! I told the vet that he "leaks" and then he tries to clean it up (that is usually how I know it happened :puke: ) so she expressed them and was shocked at how thin it was- she said usually it is thicker so she understood what I meant when I called it a leak. It reaked the whole vets office but after that- it was a few months before he leaked again. My guess is it does have to do with the glands because it did stop for a while after he had them done. He does not have a problem with his glands, but I think in his case- a lot of the time it has to do with me adding something too rich for him to his evening kibble...I think it makes his stool a little less hard so they don't express when he poops after so they express later when he is relaxing. Ino is pretty sensitive to rich foods (even wellness kibble caused him problems because it was too rich). It is pretty gross though...he has a few layers of covers on his bed just in case!!!!
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby amazincc » May 15th, 2010, 10:23 am

Yes, it's the dreaded "anal gland" thing... consider yourself lucky that a.) Dar is the only child, and b.) that he seems to go through the whole process without the need for human intervention.

Nothing will awaken me as swiftly and as completely at 3 AM in the morning as the stench of dead fish next to my face... x 2.
And "Butt Seepage" is SUCH a NICE word for it... I have sworn in several different languages, and I think once I even made up my own - that's how FOUL it is. :puke: :puke: :puke:

lol
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby amazincc » May 15th, 2010, 10:45 am

Does Dar have loose stools?

Because mine don't - and it still happens once in a while. Maybe twice or three times a year, but still... it's not something you can easily forget. :|

I think it's its actually some sort of "revenge gland mechanism" that can be activated at any time the dog feels slighted in some way... like when, for instance, you refuse to share your turkey sandwich at lunch... or you only threw the Wubba 99 times instead of the mandatory 105... :rolleyes2: :bs:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby madremissy » May 15th, 2010, 10:48 am

You can never mistake that dreaded anal gland smell. :puke:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby ArtGypsy » May 15th, 2010, 11:03 am

amazincc wrote:Does Dar have loose stools? Not Usually. Soft, but Not Loose.

Because mine don't - and it still happens once in a while. Maybe twice or three times a year, but still... it's not something you can easily forget. :| *my Gag Reflex gets activated and I start yanking off whaever piece of clothing I have on, that his but has leaked upon.

I think it's its actually some sort of "revenge gland mechanism" that can be activated at any time the dog feels slighted in some way... like when, for instance, you refuse to share your turkey sandwich at lunch... or you only threw the Wubba 99 times instead of the mandatory 105... :rolleyes2: :bs:

For Dar, Seems to be When he's Relaxed and Sleepy...thus while doozing on my lap in the recliner :nono: :nono: :nono: or laying on the freshly washed sheets........OR as recently, on the 'dry clean only' bed comforter.
:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:
ArtGypsy

Postby amazincc » May 15th, 2010, 11:12 am

ArtGypsy wrote:
For Dar, Seems to be When he's Relaxed and Sleepy...thus while doozing on my lap in the recliner :nono: :nono: :nono: or laying on the freshly washed sheets........OR as recently, on the 'dry clean only' bed comforter.

Uh-huh... that's exactly what he WANTS you to think, the little darling... :smileUp: :lol3:

Is he still on the low-allergen kibble?
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby ArtGypsy » May 15th, 2010, 11:30 am

amazincc wrote:
ArtGypsy wrote:

Uh-huh... that's exactly what he WANTS you to think, the little darling... :smileUp: :lol3:[color=#FF0000]BWAHHHAHHAHHAAHAAA[/color]

Is he still on the low-allergen kibble?
:dance: YEP, Potato and Duck! Just Like You Recommended!! :D
ArtGypsy

Postby amazincc » May 15th, 2010, 11:36 am

You can add some canned pumpkin for additional fiber, in case he has a grain allergy... have plenty of water available for him at all times. I would probably start off with a tablespoon full, and start checking poop-consistency afterwards until he is "solid", but not in danger of constipation. :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby ArtGypsy » May 15th, 2010, 12:15 pm

I'll start adding some pumpkin back into this diet....

When I made his dog food *half of his daily intake..the other half Innova*
I used brown rice, chicken, pumpkin and some ground flax seed.....but then we started worrying about the allergies.
I cut out the peanut butter too.....

Maybe a hiney-tampon?? Oh GAWD.....................I CAN JUST SEE him........ :nono:
a little white string dangling from beneath his tail........ :neener:
ArtGypsy

Postby amazincc » May 15th, 2010, 12:31 pm

More like a sanitary pad clamped across his butt to "cover both sides and all possible angles" ... and shame on us for making fun of him... :nono: :sad2:

LMAO :giggle: :oops:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby plebayo » May 15th, 2010, 12:39 pm

ArtGypsy wrote:Maybe a hiney-tampon?? Oh GAWD.....................I CAN JUST SEE him........ :nono:

I'm sorry you deserve the stench for even thinking such things! Poor Dar!!!!!!!!!!!

:p
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby airwalk » May 15th, 2010, 1:00 pm

ArtGypsy wrote:I'll start adding some pumpkin back into this diet....

I used brown rice, chicken, pumpkin and some ground flax seed.....but then we started worrying about the allergies.

Maybe a hiney-tampon?? Oh GAWD.....................I CAN JUST SEE him........ :nono:

Next Seapage...on whatever you are going to wear for the whole next month....making fun of him like that :neener:
airwalk
I live here

Postby ArtGypsy » May 15th, 2010, 4:22 pm

airwalk wrote:
ArtGypsy wrote:I'll start adding some pumpkin back into this diet....

Next Seapage...on whatever you are going to wear for the whole next month....making fun of him like that :neener:

Hey--Now....I'm trying to LOOK OUT FOR HIM.....help him maintain his DIGNITY.....so that he does not suffer the embarrassment of soiling his loved ones or his snoozing space!!
ArtGypsy

Postby TheRedQueen » May 15th, 2010, 4:36 pm

We don't know ANYTHING about butt seepage at our house... :nono:

A certain BROWN PUPPY who shall not be named...would NEVER release his anal glands on the backseat of someone's car. A *someone* that had JUST met this Brown Puppy's mother and himself...a someone that was NICE enough to let us carpool with her to an event. That BROWN PUPPY would NOT have released his anal glands on her nice leather seats in her RANGE ROVER. No sir...we don't know any dogs that would do that sort of thing.

Nor is his mother the type that would keep her eyes averted to the front of the car and pretend that she didn't know what was going on behind her...no, of course not. :wave2:

:shock: :shock: :shock:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby ArtGypsy » May 15th, 2010, 6:23 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:We don't know ANYTHING about butt seepage at our house... :nono:

Nor is his mother the type that would keep her eyes averted to the front of the car and pretend that she didn't know what was going on behind her...no, of course not. :wave2:

:shock: :shock: :shock:

:hearNoEvil:

Of Course NOT......... :dance:
ArtGypsy

Postby call2arms » May 16th, 2010, 12:40 am

Ugh, anal glands.
I've heard a story of someone at work who was talking while expressing anal glands. SHE GOT SOME OF IT IN HER MOUTH. YES. Let's say I always do with my head to the side in complete silence since I've heard that.

Just disgusting, yet so funny when it doesn't happen to you (or maybe I'm just mean to think this is hilarious, although it makes me gag a little bit).
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health