acl surgery? help!

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby call2arms » May 7th, 2010, 11:39 pm

Especially with young, active dogs, it's hard, but if the dog has to be crated, it HAS to be crated, not left running around the backyard even for "just tinkle time"... I don't believe that the dog in this situation was even that high energy, it was simply allowed to exercise too much with freslhy cut, unhealed bone...
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby katiek0417 » May 7th, 2010, 11:48 pm

call2arms wrote:Especially with young, active dogs, it's hard, but if the dog has to be crated, it HAS to be crated, not left running around the backyard even for "just tinkle time"... I don't believe that the dog in this situation was even that high energy, it was simply allowed to exercise too much with freslhy cut, unhealed bone...

It'll be worse if Nemo is crated...he gets excited...I'm resigned to the fact that I will basically be sitting on him for the first 2 weeks...

My dogs are working dogs...so they are crated, anyway...but Nemo doesn't have an "off" switch...at all...

He doesn't go in the yard now (and hasn't since he's gotten injured)...he goes out on leash...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby maberi » May 7th, 2010, 11:50 pm

Yep and I respect that and acknowledge it, but am not comfortable living life with what ifs (that is me, everyone makes their own calls)

Life is way too short. I ruptured a disc in my back last year and am now dead lifting as much as I always have. Doctors said no no and I respected their opinion but I do believe you can be safe after an injury and still live life to its fullest

Earl had a tplo at the age of 2. He is 7 and has competed is just about anything you can name and runs 5 miles a day and is happier than ever. This means nothing other than the fact that you can do whatever makes you comfortable

call2arms wrote:Well... There was a dog who underwent a TPLO a while long ago, the owners did not respect the restrictions for resting, the plate and screws literally busted and he had to go under again. And died of anesthetic complications on the table. First surgery went fine.

Obviously as with any surgery, the risk is there but being on the table for 1.5 - 3 hours makes it a bit worse, even with all the super-close monitoring. My point is that, had he not had complications from the TPLO, he would still be alive.

Again, it's one in how may surgeries - they do orthopedic surgeries day in day out, and I'd never heard of such a case, but it happens.

Oh and from another clinic we saw a modified FLO that failed - different technique implying implants and other hardware - the knee was just dangling. Still done by a certified surgeon. Complications happen.
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby pitbullmamaliz » May 8th, 2010, 10:24 am

The whole point of this discussion is that you and your vet need to decide what you are PERSONALLY comfortable with. None of us know your dog like you and your vet do.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby call2arms » May 8th, 2010, 12:07 pm

Matt, and that is exactly the end point of those surgeries, give back a quality of life to the dogs. Kudos to those who regain full capacities and live life to the fullest, that's the ultimate goal of it.
My 2 cents was just another point of view, perhaps overcautious but hey... Seeing the saw and drill go in makes me cringe a little bit every time, :oops:
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby Malli » May 8th, 2010, 12:39 pm

Matt, my only point was not to comment on what you do with your own dogs, your situation you have with them is ideal in an ideal world(most are not fully prepared to condition their dogs or to pay for a further surgery should complications or injuries arrive); my point was to let people know that this is not the typical situation and not without risk, both physical and monetary.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby tariqhu9 » May 8th, 2010, 7:00 pm

found out that my doc didn't xray the knee. He's an ol' school vet, but came highly recommended. he's been good in the past, but I may end up changing my regular vet .

In any event, I'm getting x-rays done next Tuesday at a place the will be able to perform surgery if needed.

As for my dog, Kobe, he's doesn't seem to be in very much pain. We've pretty much stopped all exercise activities for now. Trying to limit risk of further damage. I hate to crate him while we're home, but sometimes he gets so excited and it worries me.

He's not even 2 years old, which is one of reasons I'm considering surgery. I'll what the vet says and go from there. It would be great if its something that can be managed without surgery. I might try to find insurance in case something else happens.

I've had acl repair on my knee so I know how big a deal it is.

Thanks for all the great feedback. More than I expected. I'll keep you posted on how this goes.
tariqhu9
Just Whelped

Postby tariqhu9 » May 14th, 2010, 1:00 am

Good news!

The last vet visit went pretty well. The doc look at Kobe's gate and said that his limp wasn't nearly as bad as they had expected. So surgery was not suggested. Basically they said to keep doing what we've bee doing and that's keep him pretty immobile, only leash walking, and no rough housing.

They think its either a strain or very small tear. Both of which would heal without surgery. He's got some pain pills too.

Anyway, thanks again for all the feedback. I just hope he continues to improve and we can get back to running and jumping before the summer is gone.
tariqhu9
Just Whelped

Postby iluvk9 » May 14th, 2010, 5:37 am

That's very good news!
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » May 14th, 2010, 7:07 am

That's great!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Previous

Return to Nutrition & Health