I met Officer Ignoramus today...

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby amazincc » May 5th, 2010, 10:25 pm

and I know there's at least one in every police department, but jeebus... did he have to come and visit ME??? :rolleyes2: :shock: :doh:

The boys were hanging out on the (gated) porch this morning while I was doing dishes, and when they both started barking I went out to see what was up... found a cop car in my drive-way, and a PO standing at my gate by the fence. The boys were MAJORLY excited, all butt wiggles and wagging tails - yay, we have a visitor!!! lol
They stopped barking when I came out on the porch, but Faust hopped around like a goat on crack... pure happiness... Seppel sat and just watched.
Me: Can I help you, Sir?
Cop: I'm here to serve a warrant. Is so-and-so home?
Me: So-and-so doesn't live here. He was a former tenant over a year ago and moved in November of 2008.
Cop: Oh... okay.
Me: Is there anything else I can do for you?
Cop: Uhm... your dogs... they look pretty big and mean. Pit Bulls... right?
Me (a little dumbfounded at this point): Yes, they're Pit Bulls... but they aren't mean. If I invited you in the yard they'd be very happy to meet you.
Cop: Yeah, well... I'm glad you came outside when you did, so I didn't have to do something about them.
Me (getting annoyed): What do you mean... DO something about them? They are on MY gated porch, not bothering anyone.
Cop: Well... how is anyone supposed to come up to your house, with THOSE dogs out?
Me: If I hear them barking I come out and check... like I just did... soooo...
Cop: Well... if you hadn't been home... I would have to defend myself.
Me (REALLY irritated now): My dogs aren't out alone when I'm not home, ever. And besides, they aren't guard dogs... they are VERY people friendly.
*All the while Fausts tail is smacking Seppel in the face very hard because he's dying to go and say 'hi."* :|
Cop: Do they have their rabies shots?
Me: Yes.
Cop: You took them to a vet? Are they up-to-date?
Me: YES.
Cop: I don't see any tags. Actually... I don't see any collars on them either.
Me: They don't usually wear collars in the house, and they can't leave the porch because it's gated, so I don't see the need.
Cop: Well... they should wear their tags at all times! You know what would happen if they got out, and they didn't have any ID on them... especially if they act that dangerous...
Me (pissed off now): Yup... you'd shoot'em first, ask questions later... right??? And just to let you know - the most dangerous parts on MY dogs are their tails and their tongues. Really - you are MORE than welcome to come in the yard and meet them...
Cop: No, that's alright... I'm just letting you know, just in case... the police department is not a fan of Pit Bulls, so...
Me(interrupting him before he can give anymore unwanted "advise"): Well, if there's nothing else, OFFICER... *and I shepherded the boys in the house and shut the door before I lost my temper altogether and told this guy to "f**k off", and got myself arrested in the process. >(

WTH??? :nono: :crazy2:
"Act that dangerous"??? Because they were barking??? God help us all. :o
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby airwalk » May 5th, 2010, 10:48 pm

There is one in every department.
airwalk
I live here

Postby amazincc » May 5th, 2010, 11:05 pm

I know... I just never imagined "that one" would show up at my house. And he wasn't even here for ME in the first place... :bs:

My yard is fixed up like Ft. Knox though... and one of our ACOs is very pit-friendly, as are the other POs I have met. So, I'm by no means knocking the whole department. :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby TheRedQueen » May 5th, 2010, 11:36 pm

Idiot... :nono:

But I have to chuckle...I can just imagine you having this conversation and holding your temper...all the while, the boys are just DYING to say hi. :giggle:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby BullyLady » May 6th, 2010, 12:41 am

:nono:

Sounds like you handled yourself really well though, I would have lost my temper WAY before that.
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby Malli » May 6th, 2010, 3:05 am

holy crap. I've never run into that here. Actually, I either get impartiality, respect of the dog and his "job"-guarding the vehicle as he does :rolleyes2: , or on occaision(maybe one lol), I've had someone interested to approach him. Mostly I find they kind of handle him like they would a K9 :|
I'm sure that they do exist, I've just been lucky enough yet to run into one of those.

I would have trouble holding my tongue as well. I would have wanted to start spewing crap about lawsuits in regards to property distruction, excessive and appropriate force, and trespass :cuss:

Doesn't it suck when someone sh!ts on your day like this?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » May 6th, 2010, 5:47 am

Uh, Christine....he's a man...you should have shown him your boobies and distracted him. :)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » May 6th, 2010, 7:22 am

Good for you for maintaining your temper! I do find it odd and disturbing that he was all set to "defend" himself from dogs locked on a porch. Demo, does that seem normal? Could she call and complain?
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby plebayo » May 6th, 2010, 8:50 am

You need to call and complain, seriously. The department he works for needs to know that he's kind of a douche-bag because it's bad PR for them. Even if the agency doesn't take it seriously, at least you've said what you needed to. I would also tell them in your complaint you really have no problem telling anyone you meet your horrible experience dealing with that officer from that agency. He was basically suggesting he might have to harm your dogs to get into YOUR YARD. If no one was home he has no business going in your yard whether he's serving a warrant or not because he didn't even know if the person still lived on the property. I mean essentially, if he came over to follow up and for whatever reason your dogs were out and you weren't home he would be willing to harm the dogs simply to get into your yard and find out no one is home. Yeah, that makes sense. :crazy2:
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby HappyPuppy » May 6th, 2010, 1:54 pm

Holy crap - I felt my bloodpressure rise just reading that!!!! :cuss:
Ruby Underfoot, CGC
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby amazincc » May 6th, 2010, 2:01 pm

iluvk9 wrote:Uh, Christine....he's a man...you should have shown him your boobies and distracted him. :)

My boobies were covered by a t-shirt that says "Raven Lunatic"... I think he might've taken that the wrong way... lol
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby amazincc » May 6th, 2010, 2:24 pm

As for complaining... he didn't actually DO anything to me, the dogs, or my property. I don't think there's a law against flapping your gums... ignorant as they may be. :rolleyes2:
I also don't believe in poking an angry bear w/a stick... especially after the incident w/Bella. :(
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=33030&view=unread#unread

I "get" that some people don't like Pit Bulls (or dogs/animals in general)... all the more reason to always keep my dogs secured and supervised, and on-leash when out in public. I also put my "Dog On Property" sign back on the front gate, just in case... **sigh*
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Malli » May 6th, 2010, 2:50 pm

I agree with Christine. In a perfect world, you complain, the cop is spoken to, and learns a little. In this world, you keep your mouth shut, dog forbid that cop ignore his ethics (both in profession and personal) come back, bait the dogs into acting "threatening" and then do something.

Its too bad he knows where you live, Christine.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby madremissy » May 6th, 2010, 3:33 pm

This whole story, including Bella's, scares the crap out of me. I even think about if I was to get pulled over when driving while Kinzyl was in the car what would happen. Most of the law enforcement for the county know me and her but some in the little city don't. She has never barked at anyone approaching the truck before but you just never know. She usually just sits there in the back seat. Still it makes me nervous. :sad2:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby HappyPuppy » May 6th, 2010, 5:54 pm

After another recent attack story: I instructed my husband to say - if the police came to the door or the car - "Let me secure/grab my puppy" ... at least in our case, EVERYONE thinks Ruby is a puppy. It's probably a worthless idea, but I imagined that it could take the edge off of seeing a 'pit bull-type' dog when the officer(s) may already be on heightened alert.... It's getting scarier out here by the minute!
Ruby Underfoot, CGC
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby maberi » May 6th, 2010, 6:20 pm

madremissy wrote:This whole story, including Bella's, scares the crap out of me. I even think about if I was to get pulled over when driving while Kinzyl was in the car what would happen. Most of the law enforcement for the county know me and her but some in the little city don't. She has never barked at anyone approaching the truck before but you just never know. She usually just sits there in the back seat. Still it makes me nervous. :sad2:

Which is one reason why my guys are always crated in the car. None of my guys (Earl included) would welcome someone approaching the car
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby amazincc » May 6th, 2010, 6:55 pm

HappyPuppy wrote:After another recent attack story: I instructed my husband to say - if the police came to the door or the car - "Let me secure/grab my puppy" ... at least in our case, EVERYONE thinks Ruby is a puppy. It's probably a worthless idea, but I imagined that it could take the edge off of seeing a 'pit bull-type' dog when the officer(s) may already be on heightened alert.... It's getting scarier out here by the minute!

Well, of course... IF this officer had asked to come in my yard/house I would've crated the boys before letting him enter. I do understand that it can be a little overwhelming to be greeted by two very happy 60+ pound Pit Bulls when you're not used to it... at the very least I would've leashed them to prevent exited jumping and what-not. I totally get that some people are very apprehensive and/or scared, just because of the breeds reputation alone (as unfounded as it may be), and I'm very sensitive and accomodating to their needs and concerns.
However... once it was established that so-and-so didn't reside here... that should've been the end of it.
What bugged me was the way he perceived my dogs in his mind which couldn't have been further from reality... he's obviously not familiar w/dog body language at all.
Having been owned by an HA dog (Mick) has made me super-aware and vigilant when it comes to any interactions between any of my dogs and other people... but don't give me some crap about having to defend yourself because they barked on MY gated porch just because you have a bug up your ass, and a useless warrant in your hand... know what I mean? :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby HappyChick » May 6th, 2010, 7:56 pm

I was going to post this morning, but I had not consumed enough coffee yet to fully think this out. Here's what I would be tempted to do.

Call the police station and find out the officer's name. Contact him and invite him over for dinner or coffee - off duty. EXPLAIN to him why you are inviting him, but don't hurt his ego by mentioning his fear! Let him know that your dogs are great and you would like to give him the opportunity to interact with them. When (and if) he comes, introduce one dog at a time, in a manner that you feel comfortable. Make sure you tell him that Sepp has cancer. I can't begin to tell you how many people viewed Vinny differently once they had the connection of cancer established because as you know we all have been touched by cancer. You must set the whole thing up for success.

If you really know and trust your dogs (which I'm sure you do) they may actually change his mind, at least about YOUR dogs. At the very least he can see that you know how to properly handle your dogs. I mean really, maybe the guy has only had horrible experiences with pit bulls and he just needs to have a couple of good experiences (Faust and Seppel) to bring him around.

Anyway, I don't know if I could actually do this myself. However, it was the first thought that crossed my mind when I read this thread.

Yes, I probably live in a fantasy world where we can make a difference one person at a time............................
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby amazincc » May 6th, 2010, 8:37 pm

Oh, Angie... bless your heart... but that's a big fat noooooo... :hug3: lol

He and I will probably never cross paths again, and I'm not stirring up all kinds of crap by calling the station and inviting him to dinner (unless Joyce wants to cook for him... :wink: ). :shock:
I don't have to prove anything to anyone. The people we deal with on a daily basis (like neighbors, the mail man, etc.) would *maybe* be a different story... I would make more of an effort, because we live here and have to interact at times. I wouldn't want anyone in my neighborhood to think of my dogs as dangerous - and they don't. :dance:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby madremissy » May 6th, 2010, 9:22 pm

maberi wrote: Which is one reason why my guys are always crated in the car. None of my guys (Earl included) would welcome someone approaching the car

My car or Travis's truck is big enough for her crate. She has her seat belt in the back seat. In the country we are always stopping to talk to people so I think she has become used to people approaching. I ask them to say her name but don't reach in to pet her.
What scares me is she is kinda leary of people with different clothes on. Hats, and she always barks at Glen when he comes in with his camos on. A police uniform might be something she would be leary of also. That is what sticks in my head. She would probably bark at them. I will try to remember if I ever get pulled over to let them know I have a dog and she might bark at them. I just want to be prepared for any incounter with Officer Ignoramus. :)
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Next

Return to Pit Bull Talk