Distemper, Adeno, Parvo, Lepto Shots

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby PetieMarie22 » April 29th, 2010, 9:47 am

Does this shot normally last for 1 year or 3 years?
Kathleen (and George)
Petie Marie - spoiled rotten Pit Bull Terrier
Sunshine Honeysuckle Smith - DSH cat that lives under the couch
Sasha Marie - Bombay Mix = DIVA
PetieMarie22
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby maberi » April 29th, 2010, 10:03 am

Hmm, I don't think this is an easy question to answer...

First of all are we talking about an adult dog that had their puppy series along with the 1 year booster? If so, most vets recommend every 3 years for Distemper and Parvo, although some manufacturers will recommend yearly boosters. Then again, according to AAHA, studies have shown protection against Distemper and Parvo up to 7 years. I'm not sure there is a clear cut answer and many people consult with their vets and then determine the best line of defense based on their dog and their risk level.

How's that for completely unclear answer?
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby Malli » April 29th, 2010, 1:59 pm

Its what Matt (maberi) said. There are a lot of unclear answers still as far as vaccines and immunity, to add to confusion further, immunity and retention of it can differ from animal to animal and depending on age. There is also missing information in just how exactly to confirm immunity as it has yet to be confirmed just how Titer testing relates to the animal's actual immunity.

Like Matt said, its probably best just to ask your vet ;)

For my vet and my dog, he gets Rabies every 3 yrs, Distemper/Hepatitis/Parainfluenza/Parvo/Coronavirus every year, and Bordetella/Kennel cough every 6 months. I know with my vet he is very particular on proven information and when he finds some that says he can vaccinate less then this then he will, thats just how he works.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby PetieMarie22 » April 29th, 2010, 3:42 pm

We got Petie spaded by a vet that lives about an hour away that we don't normally go to. When she was there, she was due for all her shots so he gave them to her. I'm going to my regular vet tonight and they told me I was due for this shot. My paper work says it up 4/28/2012. I will ask him about it and if he thinks she should get another one, I will. Petie gets boarded once in awhile and is often around other dogs, so it's not worth the risk. So I will find out what he thinks in a few hours.
Kathleen (and George)
PetieMarie22
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby maberi » April 29th, 2010, 3:43 pm

Who is your vet?
maberi

Postby LMM » April 29th, 2010, 4:00 pm

If your paperwork says she is not due until then 2012 then I wouldn't get it.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby mnp13 » April 29th, 2010, 5:11 pm

LMM wrote:If your paperwork says she is not due until then 2012 then I wouldn't get it.

x 100,000

Vaccinations aren't just "no big deal"

Going on the yearly/3 year protocols are a personal decision, and the basis of long debate, but just getting one because you are there is a different thing and in my opinion it is an unhealthy option for your dog.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby call2arms » April 29th, 2010, 11:27 pm

It really depends which vet you see - I work in 2 clinics, and one is very lax, on puppies will do an initial DHPP vaccine, one booster, then one year later, then every three years. The other clinic will do an initial DHPP, 3!! boosters each 1 month apart, then one year later, and then every three years.

If your dog has had more than 2-3 DHPP vaccines in his first year of life, she should be fine until a year later, in my book. But that's just me. :|
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby DeeNtheChillas » April 30th, 2010, 8:09 am

At our clinic the protocol is 3 puppy shots (the initial and two boosters) with the last being given at or after 16 weeks.

If they get all three with us we consider them protected for three years. If not, they are protected for one and then need another vacc for three year protection.

If an adult comes to us with a valid one-year distemper/parvo vacc and gets one of ours (we do not use DHLPP) then they are considered protected for three years.
Dee and the furry babies:
Lizz (11 y/o beagle x toy fox terrier)
Blazer (7 y/o chihuahua x boston terrier)
Valentino (less than a year old pit bull)
Tyler and Victoria, the kitties
and the 'chillas
Humble Acres Chinchillas
http://www.humbleacreschinchillas.com
DeeNtheChillas
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby PetieMarie22 » April 30th, 2010, 10:05 am

So I went and saw my vet at Midtown last night and he said the 3 year is fine, but he has never heard of a three year shot for Leptospirosis. He told me to contact the vet that spaded her, Dr. Blond in Wyoming, and ask him about that. I left him a message this morning and I'm waiting to hear back. I just spoke to another vet and they said they do a three year shot, like she has, but then Lepto every year.
Kathleen (and George)
PetieMarie22
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby maberi » April 30th, 2010, 10:22 am

Usually Lepto is done on a yearly basis if you feel your dog is at risk for it. A lot of it depends on the region you live in although there is no magic yes or no for this

Do they have a Lepto only vaccination or were they planning on doing a combo?
maberi

Postby PetieMarie22 » April 30th, 2010, 11:43 am

maberi wrote:Do they have a Lepto only vaccination or were they planning on doing a combo?

The vet I spoke to this morning said they do the Lepto yearly during the three year shot so I'm a assuming there is a shot for just Lepto.
Kathleen (and George)
PetieMarie22
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby DeeNtheChillas » May 2nd, 2010, 8:25 pm

Our lepto vacc is an annual vaccine, but we don't use a combo, just straight lepto.
Same with lyme.
Dee and the furry babies:
Lizz (11 y/o beagle x toy fox terrier)
Blazer (7 y/o chihuahua x boston terrier)
Valentino (less than a year old pit bull)
Tyler and Victoria, the kitties
and the 'chillas
Humble Acres Chinchillas
http://www.humbleacreschinchillas.com
DeeNtheChillas
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Return to Nutrition & Health