Pit Bulls in Icy Water

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby maberi » April 20th, 2010, 9:19 am

I finally found a place about an hour and a half from Rochester that holds dock diving classes. The first class starts on Sunday and it is being held at a boat launch off of a canal in Buffalo.

My guess is that this time of year the water is going to be VERY cold. This isn't much of a problem for Earl who loves swimming in the middle of winter, but I can only imagine that Kayden isn't going to do as well in it. I know for a fact he will jump in since there will be a ball or disc involved, but I'm wondering how safe it is for a dog with such a short thin coat to be jumping into cold water like that.
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 20th, 2010, 11:15 am

I think they make neoprene vests that are wearable in the water and aid in a bit of extra warmth - Cabela's maybe?
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby maberi » April 20th, 2010, 11:21 am

pitbullmamaliz wrote:I think they make neoprene vests that are wearable in the water and aid in a bit of extra warmth - Cabela's maybe?

Yeah, I'm considering checking out a place in Rochester that is a hunting store.
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby Malli » April 20th, 2010, 1:15 pm

The do make dog wetsuits.

Oscar has been swimming in the fall and winter here in BC (which I think is not quite as cold) in the ocean and lakes, he starts screaming at the toy in the water when he doesn't want to go in any more, I have him go in to get it and then we stop.
When I used to take Oscar regularly, and as soon as we were done I'd towel him off and wrap him a blanket in the car, with the heat on. We did get weird stuff like sitting and then peeing and pooping at the same time :crazy2: I think it was a combination of the cold and the fact that he loses his brain when we get to the water and then again when the water Kongs come out. :rolleyes2:
I'd think if you have a couple thick towels and he isn't spending a lot of time in the water then he shouldn't be too too bad :|
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Hoyden » April 20th, 2010, 4:39 pm

Sham Wow's are your friend for getting water off the dog quick.

I also have a full dog fleece sweat suit that I made Birdie for those days when it's super wicked cold out. Maybe getting the water off of him, putting him into a dog onsie & into the car with the heat on might do the trick.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Return to Training & Behavior