Bad Day Yesterday--Dar Attacked Dog

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby DemoDick » April 15th, 2010, 11:29 pm

tiva wrote:...3. for walks, or for letting him out in the yard, buy a well-fitting italian basket muzzle (about $10 to $15 at amazon) and train him to LOVE it. Then, when you walk him, you never ever again have to worry about him hurting another dog. You still need to be a responsible pet owner and protect him from other dogs, but you won't have to worry about him hurting another dog.

Bad idea. Muzzles fail and using them in this manner creates a false sense of security for the owner. I wouldn't rely on a 10-15 dollar muzzle for anything. Good ones are over $100 bucks for a reason. Also, there is a very good chance that muzzling the dog will build frustration, which is the opposite of what Jody wants.

4. buy a few cans of sprayshield (the citronella spray) and always keep some easily accesible. Whenever you put the leash on your dog, carry the sprayshield AND treats. Sprayshield won't stop a dog who is determined to kill, but it will interrupt these tiffs before they really get going.

As someone who has used the real thing (i.e. pepper spray) in real world situations and personally witnessed well over 100 application in addition to my own, I can safely say that I would never rely on a chemical spray to prevent or break up a dog fight. Spraying any chemical irritant onto a pissed off dog is like throwing gas on a fire.

I agree with your other points.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby jcoffey917 » April 16th, 2010, 8:39 am

How old is Cooper?

He's a little over 2. I'm going to be extra cautious now. There are really only 3 dogs he ever plays with, it was very unusual to have strange dog come into our yard. But now I know that he's done it before and might do it again.
jcoffey917
Just Whelped

Postby PetieMarie22 » April 16th, 2010, 9:12 am

DemoDick wrote:As someone who has used the real thing (i.e. pepper spray) in real world situations and personally witnessed well over 100 application in addition to my own, I can safely say that I would never rely on a chemical spray to prevent or break up a dog fight. Spraying any chemical irritant onto a pissed off dog is like throwing gas on a fire.

What is a good thing to use? I walk Petie on a lot of nature trails where backyards butt right up to the trail. I carry pepper spray with me because we have encounter loose dogs and a huge coyote on these trails. I get nervous.
Kathleen (and George)
Petie Marie - spoiled rotten Pit Bull Terrier
Sunshine Honeysuckle Smith - DSH cat that lives under the couch
Sasha Marie - Bombay Mix = DIVA
PetieMarie22
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » April 16th, 2010, 12:21 pm

PetieMarie22 wrote:
DemoDick wrote:As someone who has used the real thing (i.e. pepper spray) in real world situations and personally witnessed well over 100 application in addition to my own, I can safely say that I would never rely on a chemical spray to prevent or break up a dog fight. Spraying any chemical irritant onto a pissed off dog is like throwing gas on a fire.

What is a good thing to use? I walk Petie on a lot of nature trails where backyards butt right up to the trail. I carry pepper spray with me because we have encounter loose dogs and a huge coyote on these trails. I get nervous.

I wouldn’t rely on anything like that.

Here’s the problem – will it work for most dogs? Yes. absolutely. However, there is another problem in that the spray/irritant will also have the exact opposite effect in many cases. A lot of times you hear people argue against the use of prong collars for difficult behaviors because they “increase aggression” (due to mis-timing) but the prong collar correction stops… the pain from spray does NOT. Once you have sprayed the dogs, the irritant continues, and that angry dog may very well just get angrier. Some animals will work through that pain, and unlike people, you can’t explain to them that if they just calm down you will wash their eyes out… that dog is going to want to share that pain with you.

There are animal tazer videos on YouTube, in the vast majority of them, the animals collapse and when the shock stops they run away. However, there is one where they taze a bull, and when the shock stops a VERY angry bull charges the camera. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Px_N2WLE1yo

If you are relying on the spray for the “startle factor,” maybe a small air horn like what they use at soccer games? Sure, you’re going to be deaf too, but it should scare off the other dog, and you don’t have to worry about over spray or residual problems. Charles used to carry a small shovel with him to “fling poop” but it worked quite well for wacking the occasional stray dog as necessary as I recall.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Previous

Return to Training & Behavior