Well I got a clicker yesterday

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby pitsnok » April 14th, 2010, 1:37 pm

So clicker-ing starts today! Be prepared for lots of questions I am sure...

I found a website by Mary Woodward... clickerlessons.com. Is this a good resource for me to use? It seems pretty basic, easy to understand.

We are going to just work on clicker association today...

Wish me luck that I don't fail miserably! :ROFL2:
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby maberi » April 14th, 2010, 1:56 pm

http://www.clickersolutions.com/ is also a good resource for info and they have a yahoo board as well with a lot of VERY good trainers
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby TheRedQueen » April 14th, 2010, 2:24 pm

The clicker lessons are good, I've reprinted their lessons to use in class before. Pretty straight forward and simple for teaching basic behaviors.

Clicker solutions is more in depth, and has articles on the science behind clicker training as well as articles addressing all sorts of problems as well as behaviors.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby fenella » April 15th, 2010, 8:52 pm

YAY! I love the clicker.
A little advice: I felt completely uncoordinated at first. I couldn't handle the treats, leash, and clicker at the same time. My timing was terrible. Murphy was confused. I kept thinking it would just be easier to tell him what to do.
Then it started to "click" for us :wink:

Now murphy's a pro at clicker training, and I'm not terrible at it anymore.
Just wanted to give you some encouragement if it feels awkward at first.
fenella
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby pitsnok » April 15th, 2010, 11:05 pm

haha thank you! It was quite awkward yesterday.

Degan seemed to get bored with it, but Harlow stayed by my side the whole time. I know I should keep them separate when actually training, but since I was just trying to get them used to that crazy clicking sound yesterday I had them both out. I think I will probably use it more with Harlow. Degan catches on really easily when learning new things, but Harlow is pretty slow, and gets confused very easily (she knows how to sit, lay down, and shake... and 90% of the time when you tell her to lay down, she tries to shake :ROFL2: )... BUT Harlow listens much better than Degan, and I think is much more intuitive and aware of the things around her. It's so funny how they are so different.

Degan is just much more stubborn... He is perfect for some kind of job... which makes me feel guilty that he doesn't have one...so we need to figure something out for him.

I guess it is just confusing because we already have taught them some of the basic stuff so I sort of don't even know what to do... :| should I try working on new things, or just keep them used to the old stuff, but with the clicker?
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Return to Training & Behavior