ugh... why?

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby pitsnok » April 13th, 2010, 10:52 pm

This conversation actually happened between a girl I had a class with a while back and myself on facebook today.

Girl: "I have a totally weird question to ask you! Lol"

Me: "haha go for it"

Girl: "Have any of your dogs had puppies before?"

Me: "no they are both fixed and we have had them since they were puppies. why do you ask??"

Girl: "Well my dog isn't fixed yet bc we want her to have puppies, and she has a boyfriend now and I just have never had a dog before so I don't know what I should expect if she got pregnant!"

Me: "well i'll just be honest, it is a huge pain having puppies, and really isn't worth it. we had a few litters with our family dog when i was younger. personally i'm not into breeding unless you show or compete your dogs, but that's just me. i prefer to rescue.
what kind of dog do you have?"

Girl: "She's a mix of different types. She's about 55 pounds and short haired. And she's about three years old. I want at least one puppy from her because she's a cute dog."

Me: "I really hope you reconsider. Obviously her being a mixed breed doesn't make her any less wonderful-- because I have no doubt she is a great dog, but there is really just no benefit to breeding her. Because her origins are unknown you have no idea what the temperament of the puppies will be, or what health problems they may face due to their blood lines.
Also, you would have to pay for the shots and worming of the puppies, and any other health issues that might arise--with basically no potential to make that money back because you won't be able to sell the puppies of unknown breed. And if any problems arise during birth you could potentially lose all the puppies, and your precious dog.
It just really isn't worth it unless you have a registered dog, with pedigrees showing her bloodlines so you know what kind of health issues might arise, and what kind of temperaments you can guarantee.

Also, so many dogs are killed every day because they don't have homes. If you are wanting to get another dog I beg you to check shelters and rescues. I promise you can find a very special, CUTE dog that way--and you would be saving a life instead of creating new ones. ... See More

please go to this website for some info on breeding:
http://www.mprgroup.net/misc/breeding2.html

aaaand, good luck =)"

I was trying really hard not to be rude, and not to get too deep with my argument thinking that would help more than getting really into it...

so... did I do okay?
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » April 13th, 2010, 10:59 pm

You did great...

but if her dog has a "boyfriend" it's probably already pregnant.

how sad.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pitsnok » April 13th, 2010, 11:16 pm

I know.

I wanted to say:

1. You have never had a dog.
2. Your dog is mixed...and of what you don't even know...
3. You don't know what to expect out of a pregnant dog.
4. You want puppies because your dog is 'cute'.

5. YOU SHOULD ABSOLUTELY 100% NOT BREED YOUR EFFING DOG!!!!!!
:rant: :bitchSlap1:

My facebook even says, "I don't support the breeding of pets." ...so I guess my having two dogs made her assume I would have bred them at some point. :doh:
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby CinderDee » April 14th, 2010, 6:21 am

You did a very good job! I have to go with Michelle on this one. Her dog has a boyfriend. :rolleyes2:
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby PetieMarie22 » April 14th, 2010, 8:55 am

I don't understand how people deal with the dog's heat for that long! Even though we were having financial troubles at the time, after Petie's 2nd heat - we got her spaded. We had to scrounge the money up but heat is nasty.
Kathleen (and George)
Petie Marie - spoiled rotten Pit Bull Terrier
Sunshine Honeysuckle Smith - DSH cat that lives under the couch
Sasha Marie - Bombay Mix = DIVA
PetieMarie22
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Return to Pit Bull Talk