"Purely Positive"..."Balanced"...blog article

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby TheRedQueen » April 8th, 2010, 10:37 pm

I really, really liked this blog article:

http://www.dogstardaily.com/blogs/purel ... erspective
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby maberi » April 9th, 2010, 9:58 am

Nice article, thanks for sharing
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby HappyChick » April 9th, 2010, 10:13 am

maberi wrote:Nice article, thanks for sharing

x 2.
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby tiva » April 9th, 2010, 11:09 am

LIMA! "least invasive, minimally aversive". I love it! It's a great description of an approach to training. I do use e-collars in one situation, for example--ie, to stop my Vanya from getting under 2 fences and chasing the neighbor's cattle. This is aversive, but it's less aversive than the alternatives: 1) getting kicked or killed by the cow or farmer; 2) having to stay on leash inside our 20 fenced acres for the next 13 years; or 3) getting through our fence and then hitting the extremely powerful electric fence belonging to the neighbor. But for all other situations, I can find a less aversive method to train the other behaviors I'm looking for (and he never goes near the fences anymore--but I keep the e-collar on for insurance, I guess).
tiva
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Return to Training & Behavior