The best success

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Patch O' Pits » May 6th, 2006, 10:08 am

I combo of a better diet regular exercise and genetic make up are all factors in the dogs conditioning

here are some things mine do
play ball
Spring pole
agility
lots of walks
and normal dog play

Though they have swam they really do not like it and we don't do it often because of that

other things you may want to try are threadmill, weightpull, or flirt poles
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby mnp13 » May 6th, 2006, 10:16 am

You don't need to rest the dog every other day, especially since you are not planning very grueling 'workouts'. I know more than one dog that runs 5 miles a day with their owner, there is no need for a rest day after going for a walk.

Any dog can get fat from any food, it depends on how much you are feeding them. No, Eukanuba isn't "exactly" high quality, it isn't high quality. You might as well feed Purina. There are a number of threads in the health section about food, I'd suggest you take a look there.

If you want your dogs to build muscle you need to feed them quality protein. Raw is the best source of that, a food full of fillers is not.

Here are the first 10 ingredients for your puppy's food, my comments are in red
Chicken raw meat is mostly water, so when this is cooked it is actually much farther down the ingredient list
Corn Meal thise is the real first ingredient of the food. and corn is unusable for dogs.
Chicken By-Product Meal this is not "meat" meal, it is byproduct meal. It's still protein, but not high quality
Ground Whole Grain Sorghum more filler
Fish Meal (source of fish oil and DHA)the first decent source of protein
Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E, and Citric Acid) added for flavor
Brewers Rice,
Dried Beet Pulp (sugar removed)more filler
Natural Chicken Flavorshouldn't really be necessary
Dried Egg Product "product"??
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Romanwild » May 6th, 2006, 10:52 am

Sorry to be overly technical but a circuit would mean that each exercise is followed by the next: running immediately followed by swiming followed by spring pole then repeated any number of times.

Crosstraining would be a more accurate description.

I definatley crosstrain my dogs. Walking, running, tug, spring and flirt poles, frisbee, swimming.

As far as food goes...They might look fine on the Euk but nutrition is nutrition. A bodybuilder or athlete might "look" good eating McDonalds but they will look and perform better with a more nutritios diet.

I have to look but someone posted up a list of the top 10 best kibbles on the market right now. It's well researched but doesn't include Innova Evo which is what I use. They felt it hadn't been on the market long enough. :|

Definition can be enhanced by the exercise and contolling caloric intake. I noticed my dogs getting a little smooth so I cut back there daily kibble intake by a 1/4 cup. One week later and they look better to me.
Romanwild
I live here

Postby dogcrazyjen » May 6th, 2006, 11:42 am

Frisbee is an awesome way for lazy owners to exercise their dogs :oops:

Swimming, dockdiving, and jumping over hurdles (flyball) are also great ways, too, where the owners don't have to do much. (unless you want great drive, then you run in flyball.)

If you want to run with the dog, agility is great. Tracking and weight pull are good. Hiking is nice, up mountains especially. Tires them right out.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby Miakoda » May 6th, 2006, 11:53 am

Sorry to be overly technical but a circuit would mean that each exercise

:wink:

Cross training is what I meant in his case, but I also do circuit training with my dogs who are preparing for an upcoming hunt. As in people, this is also a great form on conditioning in dogs.
Miakoda
Devoutly Bully

Postby Magnolia618 » May 6th, 2006, 12:46 pm

Eukanuba is NOT high quality. It is WAAAAY overpriced low quality food.

I just wanted to add to Michelle's post a bit.

mnp13 wrote:Here are the first 10 ingredients for your puppy's food, my comments are in red
Chicken raw meat is mostly water, so when this is cooked it is actually much farther down the ingredient list
Corn Meal thise is the real first ingredient of the food. and corn is unusable for dogs. ...not to mention it means bigger poops and skin issues to name a few. Corn is a filler. Plain and simple. Dogs cannot use it and yet it is the FIRST ingredient?! Hmmm....
Chicken By-Product Meal this is not "meat" meal, it is byproduct meal. It's still protein, but not high quality YUCK! Do you even want to know what Chicken-by-product-meal is? Yay diseased chicken parts!
Ground Whole Grain Sorghum more filler Yup.
Fish Meal (source of fish oil and DHA)the first decent source of protein
Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E, and Citric Acid) added for flavor
Brewers Rice, Another Filler
Dried Beet Pulp (sugar removed)more filler BAD for the colon!!!!!!!
Natural Chicken Flavorshouldn't really be necessary
Dried Egg Product "product"??
“Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.â€
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby ellie@ny » May 6th, 2006, 1:03 pm

I agree that Eukanuba not a good food,and it's also not even cheap, :| like Purina....I would recommend to you Candidae It's arround the same price or less,and WAY more better quality!!!I quit shopping at Petco..etc stores for a long time,try to find stores wich sell natural dog foods.You can make your dog life longer....
Would you eat at Mc Donald's every day,every meal :?:
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » May 6th, 2006, 1:18 pm

Boss, is there a Canine Commissary near you? There is one on Garland Road & one in Plano. They have GREAT prices on high quality food and I know you can get much better food for the same price (if not lower) than you ar epaying for the Euk. When I fed kibble that is where I shopped. They carry most of the higher quality foods.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby katiek0417 » May 6th, 2006, 10:08 pm

I would say to definitely stay away from Euk....There are much better foods out there that will be comparable in price....

As far as exercise, I run 5 miles with Sacha everyday, 1 mile with the puppy...I also keep them very hydrated (I use a hydrating supplement to make sure they don't "gas"). I also let them play together, I take them each day to play tennis (I hit the ball with the tennis racket, they run to get the balls). I also work them every day. I do 5 minutes of obedience, then I tether them to do some drive work (they never actually get a bite....). I've also built some jumps, and have them do those, as well as A-frames....
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Previous