Beginning clicker videos

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby Hundilein » April 5th, 2010, 11:31 pm

It was slow at work today, so I worked with a few dogs on clicker-ing. This was the first time I'd worked with any of these dogs, so I took videos to show what I do with a dog brand new to the clicker.

First is Oscar. He is about a year old, very friendly, as you can see when a random person walks by. Ignore the random comments from people in the background, we were working in the huge lobby. The first session I was loading the clicker and then worked a bit on touch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkVmMIH70Q8

Second session with Oscar (a couple of minutes after the first). Some more work on touch, as well as a few clicks for looking at people and staying relatively calm. This session was cut short when a visitor with a dog sat down at the table where we were working and proved to be too big of a distraction. There are a couple of times where I realized when I watched the video that I should have clicked Oscar for looking at my hand and moving towards it, even though he didn't make contact, since touch is brand new for him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29nLoa8oMGs

Next is Delilah. She is about 3 years old, also very friendly, a bit timid at first. Lots of charging the clicker in this one, as well as attention, sitting (which I suspect someone had worked on in the past with her), as well as ignoring her for jumping up and rewarding for four on the floor, and a few clicks for looking at that dog without spazzing out, and a couple beginning touches at the end.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNq7-zlzcQk

And last is Gretchen. She is about a year old and is a total spazz in her kennel and in the play yard. First session is a lot of charging the clicker (complete with poorly timed click just as she jumps up), several failed attempts to lure a sit, some attention and standing still rather than pacing, and touches at the end. I apologize for the bad lighting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoVZrnhvhQI

Second session with Gretchen. A few failed attempts at luring a sit, then work on leave it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAzp0RLzQhI
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby CinderDee » April 6th, 2010, 5:41 am

Thanks for posting the videos. I'm not sure what the touching is for?

I love Oscar! What a cutie. :heartbeat:

Check out this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKnSls3zz9A&feature=related
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby iluvk9 » April 6th, 2010, 5:53 am

I am going to have to watch them when I can concentrate. My clicker attempt with Lenny isn't going well. My fault. He seems to just look at me and doesn't care about the food. I know he isn't deaf, but he acts like it.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Hundilein » April 6th, 2010, 7:39 am

CinderDee wrote:Thanks for posting the videos. I'm not sure what the touching is for?

I use touch for all kinds of random things. It can be used to teach a lot of different tricks. Or to move a dog around without hefting him. I also find it sometimes helps with dogs who are all about the treats because they have to target the hand without a treat to get a treat. I also transfer it to other things (plastic lids that can be moved around for tricks, sports, or teaching placement; random things the dog may be worried about; people the dog may be mildly worried about, etc). It's also typically pretty easy to teach and not a big deal if you mess it up, so I often start with touch when I work with a dog new to the clicker.

That is too cool! I think I've seen it before, but I enjoyed watching it again. It also shows a lot of things you can do with target training.
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » April 6th, 2010, 9:13 am

To add...

I use target training to help with recalls...because the dog has to come close to you to do the behavior...helps with dogs that are wary of getting close or have a bad habit of coming just sooooo close to you. ;)

My guys use the nose touch for open and closing cabinets, doors, etc. (you can fade the "target" eventually)

I used to use the touch with Ripley because he was a jumper (he'd jump up and kiss my face)...I trained him to touch my hand, and then would hold out my hand at arm's length for him to touch. it was a cute trick (he'd jump and spin in the air)...but it also got him out of my face and off my body.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby maberi » April 6th, 2010, 10:40 am

TheRedQueen wrote:I use target training to help with recalls...because the dog has to come close to you to do the behavior...helps with dogs that are wary of getting close or have a bad habit of coming just sooooo close to you. ;)

This is a great idea Erin.

I used something similar with Kayden in weight pull. In IWPA weight pull you have to walk away from your dog and stand behind a line and the dog has to pull towards you. For dogs that aren't used to working away from their handlers they often get stressed when they try to pull but can't move the cart and get to mom or dad. Teaching Kayden to target my hand gave him something to focus on and also helped him stay nice and low during his pull because I would hold my hand down near the ground.

There are a million things you can do with targeting...
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby CinderDee » April 6th, 2010, 3:06 pm

Thanks so much everyone! I wanted to know if it was something that I should be doing with Zuzu. I tried it when we were doing her clicker training this morning and it was interesting that she didn't really want to do it because there was no treat in my hand. I think this will be good for her so I'll add it to our lesson.

I also find it sometimes helps with dogs who are all about the treats because they have to target the hand without a treat to get a treat.
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Return to Training & Behavior