Applying the CM method... and making it work!

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby amazincc » April 2nd, 2010, 10:47 am

It was beautiful outside yesterday, so the boys and I took advantage of the nice weather and spent some time in the yard playing fetch... and all was well, until my neighbor from across the street decided to come over and join us. :rolleyes2:
As soon as he opened the gate the exitement level went through the roof, a lot of jumping, running, and yelling ensued... and my poor, poor flowerbed was getting trampled to pieces. UGH! :shock: :nono:

So, I decided to call upon everything I've ever learned from the dog whisperer and put it into practice as follows -
1. In a very "calm but assertive" voice I ordered everyone out of my daffodils twice, but - alas - one of them completely ignored me. More flowers were being crushed. :cuss:

2. To show my displeasure I then resorted to the infamous "no talk, no touch, no eye contact" until the offender realized that he would not get any attention at all by misbehaving.
Talk about either dumb, stubborn... or both. There he was, still standing in my plants. :bs:

3. On to the next method of "claiming my space" by standing tall, crossing my arms, and taking one step forward at a time, thus forcing the obstinant party to retreat and "calmly submit" to me without "showing aggression" or "trying to dominate" me.

4. It was slow going, but I drove my point home with several "ssssshhhh's", and using my hand to "simulate a bite to the shoulder", exactly like CM (and Mother Nature) would have you do. :|

5. Just as I was contemplating whether or not to employ the "alpha roll", and/or using the new slip lead to choke some respect into him... finally - FINALLY! - my neighbor stepped out of my tulips and decided to "recognize me as the pack leader" by going the hell back to his own house. :doh:

WOOT!!! Success!!! :confetti: :clap: :bounce:

I am going to speak to his wife later on - about using exercise, discipline, and affection, to get him "under control". He's human, man, Bill... in that order, and he needs to be treated that way.
Otherwise she may very well have a "red zone case" on her hands in the very near furture. :neutral:

The boys (who had been quietly watching us from the porch) laughed so hard they almost peed on their feet. They know what can happen when Mom goes all Ceasar Milan on someone... :dance: :wink:

:neener: :neener: :neener:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 2nd, 2010, 10:58 am

:spit:

That just totally brightened my day! lmao
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby HappyChick » April 2nd, 2010, 11:10 am

:doh: :hysterical:
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby mnp13 » April 2nd, 2010, 11:44 am

Watch your mail, I'll send you a cattle prod for his next visit. :D
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby TinaMartin » April 2nd, 2010, 11:45 am

Thank you for the laugh! :D
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby TheRedQueen » April 2nd, 2010, 2:36 pm

Hahahahahahahahahaha...

Maybe you can suggest an e-collar fitting for his next visit.

lol

I :heartbeat: you Christine!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby maberi » April 2nd, 2010, 2:42 pm

Ok, that made me laugh out loud!! Thanks for the mid-day giggle. I definitely needed that :wink:
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby airwalk » April 2nd, 2010, 4:54 pm

Excellent..I need that laugh
airwalk
I live here

Postby hugapitbull » April 2nd, 2010, 7:34 pm

Maybe you could come train my neighbors? :|
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby iluvk9 » April 2nd, 2010, 8:07 pm

:ROFL2:

Hysterical. Just damn hysterical.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Return to Training & Behavior