Misterious thing on Kinzyl's ear

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Patch O' Pits » January 14th, 2010, 9:31 pm

It looks like possibly just a little irritation or infection. Possibly like an in grown hair causes. Of course I'm guessing and am not a VET. did the vet take any guesses at what it may be???? Hopefully, it is nothing at all and is fine in a couple of days.
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby madremissy » January 15th, 2010, 1:06 pm

Kinzyl's ear is the same today. Not a red but still doesn't look right. I called and they said to continue antibiotics until Monday if not better call to let them know if I am bringing her in on Tuesday to laser the tissue around it. I am scared now. What does lasering do to the tissue? Will she have a whole. Her ears are thin :|
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby blabsforbullies » January 15th, 2010, 2:56 pm

I want to say that I saw something like that once. :confused: I can't be sure if it is the exact same thing, but it looks familiar and I kinda remember there being a little hole in the middle, too. :? I believe that I also treated with antibiotics and that it did resolve on it's one. I wish I could remember it better.... sigh.... :crazy2:

Although I don't do laser therapy myself, it is not typically dangerous. I believe it is intended to stimulate the healing process. I had it done with Parker when he had a back injury. I cannot say that it was a remarkable change, but it certainly didn't hurt. :wink: I wouldn't be too worried about it causing any damage. Unless they are talking about laser surgery where they cut out the tissue and sew it back together? I don't think that they are, though. 8)
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby madremissy » March 29th, 2010, 6:59 pm

Update on her ear. Well I feel like a horrible mommy because I haven't done it sooner. I just realized it has been there since January :oops: Anyway, the thing on her ear is still there and has grown bigger. It is just like the first picture but has two white things now. I have been so busy with school and it hasn't seem to bother her but in the past week it has grown bigger.
I took her into today and they will be lasering it off tomorrow. He said that he still is not sure what it is but it will be tested. He will use the laser to get all the margins and it will be less painful for Kinzyl. He said that when he puts a stitch or two in it might pull the ear a little together so she might have it stick up or do something a little different in the fold.
I am not worried because I know she is in good hands and I trust him. I am just sad that it has fallen on her birthday. So we celebrated tonight with a new bone I ordered last week. She is a happy camper right now.
Just wanted to give an update.
madremissy

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 29th, 2010, 7:06 pm

Thinking good thoughts for Miss Kinzyl and her pretty ear, especially on her birthday!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby HappyChick » March 29th, 2010, 7:36 pm

You are giving her a great birthday present by taking extra good care of her health issue. I don't think ears are a common or uncommon place to get cancer. It's probably something simple and easily treated.

Good thoughts, beautiful girl!!!! :goodthoughts: :goodthoughts:
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby madremissy » March 29th, 2010, 7:53 pm

He said the ears are very uncommon to get cancer so I am not too concerned about that but it is still in the back of my head. :nono: I am just very curious to know what it is.
Thanks for the well wishes.
madremissy

Postby dlynne1123 » March 29th, 2010, 8:46 pm

madremissy wrote:There has always been a red spot right in the fold of her ear but it has gotten bigger and more red. Then a little hole and a growth. I thought it was a tick when I first felt it but it is tissue of some sort.

BOth of my bullies have it, its from the cartilage not being able to breath real well due to double folding....so long as it doesn't get infected no big deal. If it constantly gets infected or bleeds we recommend cauterizing or cutting it out. One advantage to cropping I guess.....I only see it in dogs with thick cartilage ears that fold twice, and are heavy. It turns into a little scar tissue that eventually builds up and folds a little differently. Sometimes even looks like a little hole or ulcer that comes and goes.

I'd just keep an eye on it and help it 'breath' as much as possible....taping the ears works, just temporary. I let Pansers go and it scarred up and doesn't do anythign anymore...
Ryder - Rescue APBT
Panser on a Roll - APBT (American Bully?)
Gretchen - the red headed cat that thinks shes a dog
Prudence - the new cat on the block to put the dogs in their place!
Punchlines Better Than Lojac - APBT (RIP)
dlynne1123
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby madremissy » March 29th, 2010, 9:05 pm

dlynne1123 wrote:BOth of my bullies have it, its from the cartilage not being able to breath real well due to double folding....so long as it doesn't get infected no big deal. If it constantly gets infected or bleeds we recommend cauterizing or cutting it out. One advantage to cropping I guess.....I only see it in dogs with thick cartilage ears that fold twice, and are heavy. It turns into a little scar tissue that eventually builds up and folds a little differently. Sometimes even looks like a little hole or ulcer that comes and goes.

I'd just keep an eye on it and help it 'breath' as much as possible....taping the ears works, just temporary. I let Pansers go and it scarred up and doesn't do anythign anymore...

That is it. Her ears are heavy and it is in the fold. Right now it is growing larger and larger so I hope I am doing the right thing to have it taken off. :confused:
madremissy

Postby TheRedQueen » March 29th, 2010, 10:10 pm

Good, healing thoughts headed Kinzyl's way...:hug3:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby hugapitbull » March 29th, 2010, 10:58 pm

Good thoughts for Miss Kinzyl tomorrow.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby iluvk9 » March 30th, 2010, 6:26 am

Well HAPPY BIRTHDAY KINZYL and good luck at the Vet's!
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby madremissy » March 30th, 2010, 8:45 am

Well she is there. It was kinda bloody this morning so hopefully this will take care of it. I felt so bad leaving her. She really didn't want to stay. All the girls came out to see her and love on her. Did some PR work for Lisa because they were in love with her collar. :) A lady in there was so amazed that I brought her blanket. She said "you must really spoil her" :rolleyes2: Well dugh, she is my baby and I didn't want her to lay on that cold cement floor.
I will be a nervous wreck until Travis picks her up at 4:00. :(
madremissy

Postby Pit♥bull » March 30th, 2010, 8:56 am

madremissy wrote:"you must really spoil her" :rolleyes2: Well dugh, she is my baby and I didn't want her to lay on that cold cement floor.
Good for you... I hope you told her that. :)

P.S. :goodthoughts:
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby Marinepits » March 30th, 2010, 9:01 am

Sending all kinds of good thoughts! :)
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby madremissy » March 30th, 2010, 2:36 pm

Thanks everyone. She has been out of surgery since 11:30 but is having a hard time coming out of her fog from the anesthesia. She doesn't need anymore more surgeries. This has been the fourth time she has been put under. Travis is going by at 4:00 to see if she can come home. Also, he is supposed to ask about taping her ear up so that it can heal. I forgot to do that this morning. It is right in the fold so I am afraid it is not going to get enough air to heal properly. Does anyone have any ideas or could stear me in a direction to do this? I have vet tape :confused:
madremissy

Postby madremissy » March 30th, 2010, 6:23 pm

They sent her home with it taped up. He had to go wider and deeper than he thought but he got it all. She is not liking her head being lop sided. She finally settled down and is sleeping on the couch. She has 4 stitches but he didn't close it up because it would have made her ear deformed. So he is leaving it open. I can take the bandage off tomorrow and watch it. Now for the humiliation......

Mama, please take this off my ear.

Ok, I will sit for the picture but then will you take it off.

I see a squirrel, I need to go chase it away from the bird feeder. Please let me out.

Fine, I will ignore you now.
madremissy

Postby Pit♥bull » March 30th, 2010, 6:28 pm

Yep, you can spot the humiliation from a mile away :nono:
Glad shes' doing OK, still sending :goodthoughts:
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby Hundilein » March 30th, 2010, 6:38 pm

Well, at least they gave her a pink wrap. I'm glad to hear she's doing okay. Give her some scritches from me.
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby airwalk » March 30th, 2010, 6:40 pm

Just tell Kinzyl she is starting a new doggie trend...it's the one ear skinny, wrapped with tape to match your collar, best color every - other ear the same ... trend. Every self respecting dog in the area will be wanting an ear wrap of their very own :D

Glad she's home, that's a relief.
airwalk
I live here

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition & Health