Halloween/Christmas Tattoo

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby BigDogBuford » March 27th, 2010, 1:32 pm

I started on my lower back piece last night. I sat for about three and a half hours, which is a long time for me. Ricky got the basic outline done and we'll start working on more detail, shading and color in a bit.

The winking kitty was already there so Ricky worked around that. I wanted piece that would show my love for both Halloween and Christmas. I'm the type of person who goes all out decorating for both holidays. Also, my birthday is the day after Christmas so it's definitely a special time of year for me. My mom always used to say I was a late Christmas present! :dance: Anyhoo, on to the pics:

~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby BullyLady » March 27th, 2010, 1:34 pm

I LOVE the Bumble and misfit toys! What a great tattoo!
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby Pit♥bull » March 27th, 2010, 1:47 pm

OUCH! :eekHair:
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 27th, 2010, 1:55 pm

Holy crap that's amazing!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby BigDogBuford » March 27th, 2010, 2:21 pm

Thanks!

Yes, it did hurt quite a bit. Especially on the side by the ribs and the lowest stuff on my back. Luckily it didn't hurt too much to sleep on it last night!
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby mnp13 » March 27th, 2010, 3:24 pm

hmmm....

i'm not "seeing" it....

I shall reserve comment until it has color, however, if it turns out anything like your other work it will be great! :)

When is your next sitting?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pitsnok » March 27th, 2010, 5:17 pm

The line work looks great! I can't wait to see it progress!
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby iluvk9 » March 29th, 2010, 5:49 pm

ouch. ouch. ouch.

Is is hard to find a comfortable position to sleep when you get that much done?
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby BigDogBuford » March 29th, 2010, 8:30 pm

My next sitting is 4/16. Actually, it wasn't too bad sleeping, I just flipped from side to side. I also took 1mg of Xanax so I slept juuuuuuuuuuuust fine, thank you!

The shading is going to hurt. Especially the stuff that's really low on my back. I had to do yoga breathing to get through that part.
~Jeanine

BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby ArtGypsy » March 29th, 2010, 9:03 pm

BigDogBuford wrote:My next sitting is 4/16. Actually, it wasn't too bad sleeping, I just flipped from side to side. I also took 1mg of Xanax so I slept juuuuuuuuuuuust fine, thank you!

The shading is going to hurt. Especially the stuff that's really low on my back. I had to do yoga breathing to get through that part.

I got color work done at the bottom of my tree.........my artist, Adam calls his style of shading "pounding in the color"....
OH MY GOD......... :shock: :o :sad2: :sad2:

It felt like a wood burning tool on my back, for 2 hours.

and now?? the worst part??
I don't even LIKE what he did..*even though I agreed after he sketched it on...but even though he described how it would look, I didn't think THIS, and I feel like bawling"".

anyway............yeah.

I tried 'breathing, and all I could do was exhale after he lifted the needle.......I wiggled my fingers with every stroke......................for some odd reason, that helped........ :|
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby BigDogBuford » March 29th, 2010, 9:54 pm

I'm sorry it doesn't look the way you wanted it to. :( Do you have a pic of the new stuff with the color?
~Jeanine

BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby ArtGypsy » March 29th, 2010, 10:10 pm

Like I wrote and told Michelle, I wanted Adam to make my existing tat "pop".
I wanted to keep the style "whimsical'.

After he drew out the swirls and such, he explained it would be all in color,-----the top half would extend out to my sides *you can see slight lines at the top where he drew*, and this would be a swirly sunrise color scheme.

All we got to that day was 2 hours of the bottom color............Gerry , a visual artist, says the ground is too overwhelming for the tree....that the swirls "keep the eye' from moving upward, into the tree...
Her idea (and a couple other folk's) was for Adam to go back, "level' out the swirls to make a more 'accurate' looking ground and do no sunrise at the top. My idea was to go in and color the leaves the same green, browns, gold and some orange.....

comments????

This color hurt WAY more than having the tree done.....oh my god....... :shock:

My sides?? Felt like I was on fire......
ArtGypsy

Postby ArtGypsy » March 29th, 2010, 10:12 pm

here's Kelcie's tattoo, for Amanda (they both loved octopus), and he did such a nice job on her color work, that I was a bit over zealous to have him do something to my treee.... :(
ArtGypsy

Postby BigDogBuford » March 29th, 2010, 10:19 pm

Some how he made 'ground' look like dragons wings. :|

Personally, I wouldn't add any more color to the tattoo. I'd go have a couple lasering sessions done on the color you don't like. Most likely it won't disappear completely but it will lighten it up a LOT. Then when you see how much of that color you are left with, you can make a plan together (make sure he draws it all up for you with color, or you show him what you want). Or go to a different artist.
~Jeanine

BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby TheRedQueen » March 29th, 2010, 10:28 pm

BigDogBuford wrote:Some how he made 'ground' look like dragons wings. :|

Personally, I wouldn't add any more color to the tattoo. I'd go have a couple lasering sessions done on the color you don't like. Most likely it won't disappear completely but it will lighten it up a LOT. Then when you see how much of that color you are left with, you can make a plan together (make sure he draws it all up for you with color, or you show him what you want). Or go to a different artist.

Yup, it looks like dragon wings to me...

I'm not a tattoo person, so I'm no expert...but I'm not sure that coloring the leaves would help...I'd think then it'd be..."well, now I should shade the tree trunk, and the background, etc" not sure if that's part of your plan at all. I think maybe Jeanine's idea is the best one...have some color taken out.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby ArtGypsy » March 29th, 2010, 11:03 pm

:cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2:
ArtGypsy

Postby demolitionic » March 30th, 2010, 12:59 am

ArtGypsy wrote:Image

Like I wrote and told Michelle, I wanted Adam to make my existing tat "pop".
I wanted to keep the style "whimsical'.

After he drew out the swirls and such, he explained it would be all in color,-----the top half would extend out to my sides *you can see slight lines at the top where he drew*, and this would be a swirly sunrise color scheme.

All we got to that day was 2 hours of the bottom color............Gerry , a visual artist, says the ground is too overwhelming for the tree....that the swirls "keep the eye' from moving upward, into the tree...
Her idea (and a couple other folk's) was for Adam to go back, "level' out the swirls to make a more 'accurate' looking ground and do no sunrise at the top. My idea was to go in and color the leaves the same green, browns, gold and some orange.....

comments????

This color hurt WAY more than having the tree done.....oh my god....... :shock:

My sides?? Felt like I was on fire......

It looks very Alice in Wonderland to me.
Time to nut up or shut up.
demolitionic
Devoutly Bully

Postby iluvk9 » March 30th, 2010, 6:24 am

Remind the old lady why you all get these done? :popcorn2:

OUCH AGAIN.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby HappyChick » March 30th, 2010, 8:13 am

I'm sorry that your coloring didn't turn out the way you wanted. I agree, it looks like dragon's wings. I'd get that part redone and evened out like you mentioned. Maybe filling in the empty spaces with color, that brownish under the roots would look like soil, rounding out to green hills on the sides, and the swirls would be toned down considerably. Then if you wanted to add color to the tree the whole piece would not look too busy.
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby ArtGypsy » March 30th, 2010, 8:21 am

HappyChick wrote:I'm sorry that your coloring didn't turn out the way you wanted. I agree, it looks like dragon's wings. I'd get that part redone and evened out like you mentioned. Maybe filling in the empty spaces with color, that brownish under the roots would look like soil, rounding out to green hills on the sides, and the swirls would be toned down considerably. Then if you wanted to add color to the tree the whole piece would not look too busy.

This is pretty much EXACTLY what I've been told by most folks.....even out the ground a bit.....
and just the 'splash' of color on the leaves. (There are only several groups of 'leaves' so yeah, it would provide some continuity of color without being over whelming and cluttered.

Thanks for the insight !
ArtGypsy

Next

Return to Off-Topic