"But I love the Dog Whisperer"...

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby TheRedQueen » March 22nd, 2010, 5:55 pm

A nice article on how to argue against CM's methods...

:D http://www.ehow.com/how_5153103_counter ... roach.html
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby pitsnok » March 22nd, 2010, 6:08 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks!!
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby LMM » March 22nd, 2010, 6:20 pm

Crossposting, great article!
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby LMM » March 22nd, 2010, 8:23 pm

Well even having read such an easily explained article people on my rescue Facebook still disagree with it :rolleyes2:
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby IzzysDad » March 22nd, 2010, 9:00 pm

:mrgreen:
IzzysDad
Just Whelped

Postby Ino » March 23rd, 2010, 9:10 am

Good article! I plan to get Ino into training after we move to Fl, but I want to go with positive reinforcement because what I realized with him is he responds better to it than any type of correction I tried. Before I knew better- the trainer I went to work for told me to use a choker and how to "correct" with it- I used it for part of one walk and Ino became totally defiant (while it was on-that was the only time he ever acted that way)it really backfired on me. I've never tried to alpha roll him but know that would backfire on me because he does not even roll over to follow a treat- he gets up to get it. He rolls on his back when he plays so I think if I click that and then name it he will respond to it. He hates being physically restrained- it freaks him out. I had to hold him for the vet a few times and it is not something he does well with. He does not get mean- but he does not like it at all. I've never used a prong- but none of his behaviors seem uncontrollable enough to justify it, since he does respond well to positive training. I just need to be more consistant with it.
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » March 23rd, 2010, 4:28 pm

LMM wrote:Well even having read such an easily explained article people on my rescue Facebook still disagree with it :rolleyes2:

Yeah, John was on the phone last night with a Fidos trainer arguing about CM...*after* she read the article! :rolleyes2:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby amazincc » March 23rd, 2010, 6:01 pm

LMM wrote:Well even having read such an easily explained article people on my rescue Facebook still disagree with it :rolleyes2:

Most cult members take it very personal when you question/"attack" their leaders beliefs... :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby TheRedQueen » March 23rd, 2010, 6:11 pm

I had a girl tell me at Puppy Playdate today that she's been pinning her 4 mo. bloodhound down ala Cesar because he's been growling. :rolleyes2: Amazing to me...but at least she took my advice! :D

TheRedQueen

Postby mnp13 » March 24th, 2010, 5:44 pm

Ino wrote:Before I knew better- the trainer I went to work for told me to use a choker and how to "correct" with it- I used it for part of one walk and Ino became totally defiant (while it was on-that was the only time he ever acted that way)it really backfired on me.

In my experience, when a dog gets "defiant" or shuts down because of a correction it's handler error. That's not your fault, it's the fault of the trainer that you were working with, but please don't blame the tool.

I've never used a prong- but none of his behaviors seem uncontrollable enough to justify it,

Behaviors don't have to be "uncontrollable," they just have to be taught and then ignored. totally different :wink:

since he does respond well to positive training.

Most dogs do! :D

I just need to be more consistant with it.

And that is the hardest part of all training... last night we had a lot of :doh: moments in class. Including Riggs running through the middle of someone's class again :box:
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby amazincc » March 24th, 2010, 6:08 pm

mnp13 wrote:And that is the hardest part of all training... last night we had a lot of :doh: moments in class. Including Riggs running through the middle of someone's class again :box:

:heartbeat: :giggle:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby maberi » March 24th, 2010, 6:26 pm

mnp13 wrote:And that is the hardest part of all training... last night we had a lot of :doh: moments in class. Including Riggs running through the middle of someone's class again :box:

I missed an infamous Riggs break for the ball bin last night!? Ha, I rather enjoy them. There is nothing like seeing a bunch of old woman grab onto their dogs for dear life while an enraged pit runs about looking for a ball :wink:
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby mnp13 » March 24th, 2010, 7:05 pm

All the while carrying a large bright blue frog shaped cuz. :rolleyes2:

dork
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby call2arms » March 24th, 2010, 11:37 pm

I can just picture him trotting around class squeaking a really loud cuz, grinning. Dork indeed. lol
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby mnp13 » March 25th, 2010, 1:04 am

Darwin doesn't squeak, that's why we have him. The non-squeaking frogs and elephants (Darwin and Dexter) are made of heavier, stiffer rubber. I got it so that Connor would stop chewing the squeakers out of all of the other cuz toys. :rolleyes2:
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby call2arms » March 25th, 2010, 9:50 am

Oh, it takes a bit of fun out of my mental image, those squeaking cuzs are quite disturbing!
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby furever_pit » March 25th, 2010, 1:08 pm

Awesome!
I've printed out a copy and have a few people in mind to give this too.

Also, I LOVE that frog cuz. I am going to have to look for one. I cannot stand the constant squeaking of the regular cuz.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby amazincc » March 25th, 2010, 1:32 pm

amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby ArtGypsy » March 25th, 2010, 5:31 pm

mnp13 wrote:All the while carrying a large bright blue frog shaped cuz. :rolleyes2:

dork

:shock: :o :shock: I MUST HAVE THESE. ....
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby mnp13 » March 26th, 2010, 1:52 pm

Yours is right here waiting for you to pick it up. :D
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Next

Return to Training & Behavior