What do you make of this?? Copper again...

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby msvette2u » May 5th, 2006, 7:59 pm

Well hubby took Copper in and the vet wants a urine sample, first thing in the AM on Monday. Apparently she'll do the bloodwork and urine stuff that day and an Xray.
Like you said, Malli, she said she may need to have him do an ultrasound which could be over $300.00. And I was right, they don't have a machine here - he'd have to go in to one of the spendy vets in Tri Cities...
I guess we'll take it one step at a time.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby a-bull » May 5th, 2006, 8:17 pm

Geeze, good luck. I hope it all ends in peace of mind and a healthy, (albeit chubby), pup. :)

I'll be thinking about her. :wink:
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » May 5th, 2006, 9:21 pm

Hopefully they can get the answers they need with the tests from Monday. Keeping my fingers crossed for good results
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby msvette2u » May 5th, 2006, 9:52 pm

Amen to that Debby. We sure can't afford hundreds of bucks to diagnose him but we'll do the best we can for the little guy. I love him to pieces.

I don't mean to make it sound like he isn't worth it. To date, he's been to the vet 2x in the two years we've had him, for teeth cleaning and pulling, and you all know that isn't cheap...plus 2 other times for injury/soreness to that one leg...to date, he's our most expensive dog! But I guess I'm just not used to older dogs, all our others are less than 5...anyway I'm babbling now. I'm just worried about him, and about it all...
msvette2u
I live here

Postby a-bull » May 5th, 2006, 9:56 pm

He's just so dang cute, though . . . . just look at that face!! :heartbeat:
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby pitbullmamaliz » May 5th, 2006, 9:59 pm

Forget the cute face - look at those EYES!!! That boy has the guilt-trip eyes down!!!
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby luvmyangels » May 5th, 2006, 10:08 pm

I hope everything goes ok when you go back to the vet on Monday. My mom has 4 wirehaired mini dachshunds. Good luck.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby msvette2u » May 5th, 2006, 10:11 pm

Oh I know. And he wasn't even TRYING in that pic...you cannot resist those eyes...
Once when we first got him, I cleaned his teeth with my pick, which he'd never had done by the looks of them, and he went over to the couch and got up on it, and waited UNTIL I LOOKED at him - and THEN did this huge dramatic "SNUB" so I KNEW I was being ignored...LOL What a character he is!
msvette2u
I live here

Postby msvette2u » May 5th, 2006, 10:12 pm

luvmyangels wrote:I hope everything goes ok when you go back to the vet on Monday. My mom has 4 wirehaired mini dachshunds. Good luck.

Thanks so much - I will let you guys know, for sure :)
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Jenn » May 5th, 2006, 10:20 pm

Poor little Copper, best of luck!
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby turtle » May 6th, 2006, 12:06 am

Good luck, fingers and paws crossed that it's nothing serious...
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby Malli » May 6th, 2006, 4:16 am

good luck and update us asap :)
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » May 6th, 2006, 9:15 am

Good luck. You'll be in our thoughts.
Remember, just one step at a time.
My Jasmine girl is just starting to get older and it scares the heck out of me. I've never had a senior either.
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby msvette2u » May 6th, 2006, 10:35 am

I did but it was almost 15 years ago and damned vet visits were a hellovalot less $$ then!!
msvette2u
I live here

Postby msvette2u » May 8th, 2006, 1:03 am

:( Something is really wrong with Copper. I haven't spent much time with him today because we rearranged our entire front room, but he went to the store with us and waited in the car while we ate with my husband at his job.
So we got home and he ate, as usual, and then with all the hustle of getting the kids off to bed and the dogs all fed for the night, etc, I didn't pay much attention to him either and then my daughter found some feces on the floor. I could tell it was Copper who did it. But he was lying by our bedroom door, his feet tucked up under him and his head out in front of him. I called to him to "go outside" and he didn't want to get up.
Finally got up and outside, and then back inside - and laid down again like that, and when he moves he groans. I picked him up as gently as possible and put him on the couch.
He has an appt. 1st thing in the AM - but he's scaring me :cry: I've never seen him like this.
The thing is he's kind of hunched up and when you touch his sides, just in front of his hips(?) he trembles like it hurts. I don't get it.
I'm so scared for him - I'm about ready to rush him to the ER vet but it's clear in Tri Cities (35 miles away) and the kids are in bed.
If he gets much worse though, I'll bring him in tonight...I know there's probably nobody on here right now, but it makes me feel better to think someone might be :(
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Malli » May 8th, 2006, 4:37 am

Oh no!
He sounds very painful!
I'm so sorry yvette!

keep us updated as you can

Oscar and I are thinking of him

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby pocketpit » May 8th, 2006, 7:47 am

What's his gum color like? I'd be very worried too! Keep us updated, hope he's okay!
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby SisMorphine » May 8th, 2006, 8:09 am

Definitely keep us updated as far as his appointment this morning. Poor little guy :(
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby dogcrazyjen » May 8th, 2006, 8:42 am

We are thinking of you, let us know what happens. :cry:
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » May 8th, 2006, 8:43 am

Poor Copper - Inara and I are crossing our fingers for him...let us know how the appt goes as soon as you get back!
:hug3:
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition & Health