Inara is not herself...

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby TheRedQueen » March 25th, 2010, 9:36 am

to the untrained eye, she looks perfectly fine...she's playing, eating, drinking, her eyes are clear, she looks just fine. But to me...she's off a bit.

Started with last weekend at flyball...she ran horribly. Her times were off from what they normally are...about a 1/2 second slower from the beginning of the tournament...so I pulled her and put Score in her place. She was running slower, but also...she had one incident where she ran off and appeared confused about where she was...ran into the other lane and turned and looked at me like "what?!?!?"

Then a couple times when I went to grab for her...she ducked/shied away...like "OMG!!! Why are you grabbing for me!!!AAAHHHH!" Not typical for her...very Ripley, but not her. She'll often avoid me grabbing for her, but it's so she can dash off to steal food from someone's treat bucket on the lanes...and it's not a fearful type of move. Last weekend at least 2-3 times it was a fearful move... :(

Yesterday, we were playing in the yard...and she stopped. Just stopped chasing Score after about 20-30 minutes of running and chasing and humping. Again, nothing horrible...just odd for her. She's usually the energizer bunny. She's relaxing more, and not bugging the other dogs as much (still bugging them, just not as crazily...)

She's 6 1/2 years old, so it could be old age catching up to her, as someone suggested...but it seems odd to me that she'd change so abruptly. (the last tournament was earlier in March...and her times were normal for her).

Someone else suggested thyroid issues...which seem to make sense, since Rip had the same sort of fear issues when his thyroid goes out of whack.

Another thought is that she's just not feeling well...Oreo (foster pit thing) has some sort of creeping crud...(she's due for a vet visit, as her stuff is getting worse)...Oreo's got runny, goopy eyes. Her crud has been around for a week or so (it looked like it got better...now it's worse)...and on Monday, she actually startled twice when I went to attach her leash...(this dog does NOT startle). Maybe she's not seeing well out of the goopy eyes. Inara had some runny/red eyes earlier in the week (before the tournament)...but again, it wasn't bad last weekend...and hasn't been noticable since.

Also...our last Fidos dog (Dexter) that just left last week, tested positive for Giardia...so maybe she's got a touch of that...even though I'm not seeing diarrhea...

So many little things...nothing majorly wrong...if she's still right this weekend, I'm taking her to the vet... :neutral:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Pit♥bull » March 25th, 2010, 9:40 am

Maybe just some :goodthoughts: will help.... Never underestimate the power of PBT 'good thoughts' :)
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » March 25th, 2010, 9:43 am

Pit♥Bull wrote:Maybe just some :goodthoughts: will help.... Never underestimate the power of PBT 'good thoughts' :)

That's what I'm hoping for...thanks Bob! :hug3:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby maberi » March 25th, 2010, 9:46 am

Is she on any new meds or has she been into the vet lately for anything?
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby TheRedQueen » March 25th, 2010, 9:55 am

maberi wrote:Is she on any new meds or has she been into the vet lately for anything?

Nope, nothing. I gave her a couple of benadryl the other day for the red, weepy eyes...but that was after the problems cropped up. They get HW at the beginning of the month, and she's been on the same stuff for 2-3 years. No supplements...as she's healthy as a horse.

She rarely has to go to the vet...in the past few years, just for vax and exams and hw tests. She's remarkably healthy...physically. Mentally...she's crazy. :crazy2: Which makes vet visits hard...so I don't take her unless I really need to...since she's so fearful, and has to be muzzled (I muzzle her myself, and we've worked on clicking for the muzzle and such).

She's bright eyed, perky, playful, has a good appetite...just not quite right.

TheRedQueen

Postby call2arms » March 25th, 2010, 9:58 am

Is she painful anywhere? Flex and extend all her joints (especially hios and knees, since she runs a lot), press on each side of her spine from the head down to see if it's causing a reaction, palpate her tummy for sensitive spots, check her teeth and gums/press on the gums over the teeth even though she has nice teeth... Could be the eyes too, or thyroid... Hopefully it's nothing.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby TheRedQueen » March 25th, 2010, 10:10 am

call2arms wrote:Is she painful anywhere? Flex and extend all her joints (especially hios and knees, since she runs a lot), press on each side of her spine from the head down to see if it's causing a reaction, palpate her tummy for sensitive spots, check her teeth and gums/press on the gums over the teeth even though she has nice teeth... Could be the eyes too, or thyroid... Hopefully it's nothing.

just checked her out...she got all wiggly from the attention, and she's currently chasing Fig around the house now...wrestling with him in the other room.

Nothing seems sore (she sometimes will come up a tiny bit sore in her back...but even that's not there). Her teeth look good, gums look and feel good. Tummy feels fine, and she didn't flinch at anything...she let me extend all of her legs and rotate them around. No ear problems...they look good, and smell fine. No pad/nail problems...her hoo-ha looks fine too...no redness or irritation. She looks pefectly normal...which is driving me crazy! lol

She's got a big smile on her face now because I gave her some attention.

TheRedQueen

Postby Pit♥bull » March 25th, 2010, 10:24 am

Maybe she just had a 'bad day', we all have them from time to time. :|
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby katiek0417 » March 25th, 2010, 10:30 am

Good thoughts for Cy-bee's Girlfriend! I hope she's okay!
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Jenn » March 25th, 2010, 1:45 pm

:goodthoughts: for pretty Inara, hope she's back to herself really quickly!!
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 25th, 2010, 2:00 pm

She's just doing this to keep you on your toes and make you worry. She's special like that. :wink:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby madremissy » March 25th, 2010, 4:54 pm

I hope Inara gets to feeling better.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby TheRedQueen » March 25th, 2010, 5:09 pm

She seems to be feeling better this afternoon...a playtime with the new frisbee, and she was feeling pretty good. :) I'll be keeping an eye on her for a while though...

TheRedQueen

Postby iluvk9 » March 25th, 2010, 5:17 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:She seems to be feeling better this afternoon...a playtime with the new frisbee, and she was feeling pretty good. :)

Good news! :)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby call2arms » March 25th, 2010, 5:38 pm

Good to hear she's a bit better today!
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby CinderDee » March 25th, 2010, 5:53 pm

Glad to hear Inara's feeling better!
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby Malli » March 25th, 2010, 6:01 pm

I'd watch her closely. Close to a week is a lot of time to just not be feeling herself...
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby blabsforbullies » March 25th, 2010, 6:43 pm

Definitely trust your instincts. I hope she continues to do well and that it is a passing thing.... :dance:
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby TheRedQueen » March 27th, 2010, 7:49 am

She's feeling better and better each day...she's not acting odd anymore...and she's being a ROYAL bitch, which means she's feeling better! lol John mentioned earlier in the week that she was LICKING a boarding dog's nose. That's not right in her world...yesterday, she tried to bite him. That's more like it. 8)

She played dumbdisc yesterday, and had a great time...didn't stop at all...except for running off to soak her belly in the FORBIDDEN pond (giardia anyone?).

She tried to bite Jake the giant GSD as he was coming out the car yesterday, and he fell out of the car and onto his back (he's fine...he's kind of clutzy).

Yeah...she's feeling more like herself.

TheRedQueen

Postby ArtGypsy » March 27th, 2010, 8:19 am

:clap:

HORRAY!
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health