Figuring out what hurts???

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Ino » March 21st, 2010, 9:32 am

So, poor Ino ran through part of the river in the back that has a bottom made up of uneven rocks and came out lame on his front paw during the evening walk yesterday :( . He is still babying it a bit but I have absolutely no clue what is bothering him. The limb has no disfigured areas or swelling and the foot pad looks normal. I have pain management meds (previcox and holistic), but am not sure what hurts. He never gives a pain signal if you touch the area (I don't manipulate it because I don't want to make it worse). He pulls back if you get near the limb- but you can not distinguish if he bruised the pad, hurt his wrist, or if it is a shoulder injury. I have no clue which it is but to be precautious, he is going to be on limited activity today just in case. If it is not better by tomorrow- we will be back in the vet either tomorrow or Tues. I feel so bad for my bubba- he always seems to get hurt. We are in the vets office all the time. He is whimpering right now- but it is not a pain whimper...it is a lets go walk whimper. He heard his girls heading off and is upset but I know he is going to want to play and will ignore his pain so I have to restrict his activities for him. How do you guys tell what hurts on your dogs? He seems to be able to hide what hurts very well (the specific area). Even the limp- he tries not to show it and still tries to use it. He breaks nails a lot and usually does not limp- I find them once I explore his foot because he compulsively licks them. I am hopeful that it is just a bruised pad or something minor (I've bruised my heels walking in that area with shoes on), but if it does not resolve soon- we will take the precautious approach and see our vet. Just wanted to know signs to look for about where the pain is. There is no air licking, panting, ear or eye movement, whimper/growling or other obvious discomfort signs if I touch an area(not that I see- but I am not sure what else to look for). He had a slight limp last year from the same thing on and off for a few days so as a precaution, the vet ran a lyme disease test and he came back negative. His body just is not built for his activity level- he has too much of the English Bulldog frame to put up with his outdoor energy level.
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby madremissy » March 21st, 2010, 10:13 am

I hope Ino feels better soon.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby Ino » March 21st, 2010, 10:57 am

Thank you! The meds seem to be helping but I am still going to restrict his activity for today and see tomorrow morning if he is limping again- since the meds will wear off by then.
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Suzi » March 21st, 2010, 11:16 am

Maybe a sprained ankle? We do our share of hiking, sometimes in rough terrain,,,Bella has (as told to us by our Vet) sprained her ankle (above her front right paw)...2 d-3 days of easy does it and she's good to go again....Hope Ino is felling better!
Suzi
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 21st, 2010, 12:18 pm

Poor guy! Can you give him some baby aspirin? Sounds like restricted activity would be a good thing.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby amazincc » March 21st, 2010, 12:50 pm

Ino wrote:So, poor Ino ran through part of the river in the back that has a bottom made up of uneven rocks and came out lame on his front paw during the evening walk yesterday :( .

He probably stepped on one of those rocks and now his pad/paw is a little sensitive... I imagine it's much like stepping on a dog bone in the middle of the night, in the dark - hurts like hell, but you don't really *see* anything on your foot afterwards... :|

Have you checked in-between his toes to see if he has a cut, maybe?
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Ino » March 21st, 2010, 2:10 pm

Liz, I gave him some previcox (NSAID)this morning when he first woke up, along with his holistic meds and it seems to have helped a lot. He is not currently limping- but we are going to take it easy today and tomorrow anyway. I figure he can have some swim time in the deeper area of the river instead of romping on land or in the shallow rock filled area. Christine, I did check his pads and in between them for cuts or nail breaks (that is what I thought it was at first)- but no obvious signs of injury. I think you are right, it is probably sensitive- I know I had a sore foot after walking in there with shoes on before. He also may have sprained it or pinched the paw between rocks because he ran through it like it was even land- fast and without a care in the world. He is totally water obsessed. His compact frame with his weight and build does give him neverending problems- that and being part English Bulldog, genetics are not on his side.

Here is a pic of the part of the river where he got hurt-

Here are 2 pics that show how short he is- I am only 5'3". He has a compact body for a dog that is 75lbs.

Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby amazincc » March 21st, 2010, 2:59 pm

Poor little tank... lol

I hope you've been kissing his booboo at least once an hour. :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Ino » March 21st, 2010, 3:21 pm

amazincc wrote:Poor little tank... lol

I hope you've been kissing his booboo at least once an hour. :wink:

Well, feels like I've been more or less kissing his butt, rather than the booboo- he is spoiled!! Getting all kinds of bonuses for being hurt- peanut butter to give with meds, extra attention and kisses, and a little canned food mixed with kibble so he would eat it (he is take it or leave it with breakfast- he'd rather sleep, so since he got meds, he had to be incouraged to eat :rolleyes2: ).lol
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby amazincc » March 21st, 2010, 3:41 pm

Ino wrote:
amazincc wrote:]
Well, feels like I've been more or less kissing his butt, rather than the booboo- he is spoiled!!

I think that's in their DNA... :D
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby iluvk9 » March 21st, 2010, 5:56 pm

Hope he continues to improve!
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Ino » March 21st, 2010, 7:02 pm

lol Christine!! Thanks, Joyce!! He has a slight limp right now (meds wore off), but hopefully it will continue to get better. I gave him another dose of the holistic meds- but not the previcox, since the recommended dose for him is once a day.If it does not get better, guess we will have another trip to the vet on Tues. Atleast he seems to be a little sweet on the new female vet that works there, so in a way- I think he looks forward to going. I swear, we are there way too often :rolleyes2: !!
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Malli » March 21st, 2010, 7:57 pm

maybe a bruised paw pad? :|
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Ino » March 21st, 2010, 9:50 pm

Malli wrote:maybe a bruised paw pad? :|

That is what I am hoping for!! I feel so bad for him because he is so young and has had so many issues. Tomorrow he will be in his crate for most of the day because I will be at school. It will be a good time for total rest for him (aside from his morning and evening walks- if it looks like he is limping, they will be short and no off leash for him for now).
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Return to Nutrition & Health