How long for quicks to recede?

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 18th, 2010, 1:40 pm

I clipped Inara's nails earlier this week (all by my lonesome! She did great!) but I'm curious how often I can clip them to start getting them down to a short length. I'd let them get a bit long ( :oops: ). So how frequently can I clip just a bit off of them? Weekly? Every couple weeks?
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby LMM » March 18th, 2010, 1:41 pm

Waiting for any extra tips. Many dogs come to us with very long quicks. I do clip a little bit each week but especially with black nails, I'm always so nervous about quicking them!
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby BullyLady » March 18th, 2010, 1:46 pm

The vet I used to work for advises people whose dogs have long quicks that they clip them once a week, as far down to the quick as the dog will let you get.
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby PetieMarie22 » March 18th, 2010, 2:25 pm

Thats really good that you did them all by yourself! At my house, I hold while he clips! We try to do it at least every other week.
Kathleen (and George)
Petie Marie - spoiled rotten Pit Bull Terrier
Sunshine Honeysuckle Smith - DSH cat that lives under the couch
Sasha Marie - Bombay Mix = DIVA
PetieMarie22
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 18th, 2010, 2:32 pm

I had figured weekly was probably a good guess. Thanks all!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

pitbullmamaliz

Postby Pit♥bull » March 18th, 2010, 2:39 pm

Our Duke has to be put under for a nail clip.... No touchy the feet :crazy2:
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby plebayo » March 18th, 2010, 3:53 pm

Clip 'em once a week, that way you only have to take the tips off so no worries about quicking and it makes your dog get used to it/learn to deal AND it'll make the quicks start to recede.

I also honestly LOVE the dremmel tool. They're about $70 for a cordless one but my older dog Sofie does way better for the dremmel than when I cut them. When I cut them she cries even if you aren't even close to the quick and it freaks me out. Seth and LiLo don't really enjoy their nails being done anyway so they don't really like the dremmel that well either but I feel like I can take off quite a bit more without worrying I'm going to quick them.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 18th, 2010, 4:45 pm

I have a dremel but still need to desensitize Inara to it. :oops:

pitbullmamaliz

Postby BullyLady » March 18th, 2010, 5:40 pm

plebayo wrote: They're about $70 for a cordless one but my older dog Sofie does way better for the dremmel than when I cut them.

:shock: :shock:

I got mine for $20 at Walmart!

I love my dremel though, Shelby hates it as much as she hates the clippers but it's much easier for me. I never ever quick with the dremel (unless I'm trying to) but I can still get it as super short as possible. And while she hates that it gets a little warm I do think it hurts her less than clippers.
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby Malli » March 19th, 2010, 12:19 am

Oscar has long nails period. Lately he's been having a weird issue with his nails on back of his feet occaisionally rubbing on the side of the front toe, so I've been trying really hard to shorten them.

I clip them about once/week and I got a dog nail file at petsmart and then I smoothe the edges a bit, it looks nicer and I hope that it'll help keep his toes from getting rub sores.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Hoyden » March 19th, 2010, 9:37 am

I have them dremel Birdie's nails down at the groomers, but I've been using that stupid pedi-paws thing at home weekly to get them a tiny bit shorter.

She'll let me use the pedi-paws thing if I feed her cheese or peperoni as I use it, but she won't let me use the dremel on her myself. :|
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby TheRedQueen » March 19th, 2010, 9:43 am

make a doggy nail file...so she can sand down her own nails! :)
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby pitsnok » March 19th, 2010, 8:20 pm

We have a pedi-paws. (seriously)... Tanner's mom got it for their pug but 'he was too scared of it' so we inherited it. It takes a while, but our dogs will tolerate it. They know they get a good treat when we finish, so they don't get too annoyed. I am too scared to use clippers. I have seen my mom quick our chihuahua a few times and it scarred me for life. :rolleyes2:
I would really like to invest in a real dremel though. (Can you use a regular dremel tool or are there dog nail dremels?)
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby BullyLady » March 19th, 2010, 8:34 pm

pitsnok wrote:I would really like to invest in a real dremel though. (Can you use a regular dremel tool or are there dog nail dremels?)

I just use the big barrel attachment with the coarse-ish sandpaper on it.
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby pitsnok » March 20th, 2010, 1:26 am

Thanks lady. That will be a huge help.

(I am a little embarrassed to admit that I love dremel tools. If I could dremel everything I would. I learned this last semester when I made a stone octopus, and a wooden spoon... so. fun.)
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby call2arms » March 20th, 2010, 10:05 pm

I find that if you do use clippers, it's important to use sharp ones. Blunt blades means you need to press harder, and more pressure on the quick inside, so more pain/discomfort.

For dogs with black nails, if you go VERY carefully, a good trick no to quick them is to cut the front of the nail, small slice by small slice, until you see a small circle with a white outline -that usually means that the quick is near, and it's close enough so that the quick receeds.

And make sure to wear a shirt with a high collar, finding nail bits in your bra really sucks.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby Marinepits » March 20th, 2010, 10:11 pm

call2arms wrote:.....finding nail bits in your bra really sucks.

Ain't THAT the truth! :lol3:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Ino » March 20th, 2010, 11:03 pm

My dremel was around $40 (cordless)at Walmart and came with a bunch of bits. I use the bigger sandpaper bit to grind them down then use the cone shaped grinding stone to round them off. I hated pedi-paws. It would not allow you to angle it to shape the nails and it was cheap sand paper (and not rechargable). It also only had one speed (slow). It just did not seem like it did anything for Ino's nails. He has nail break issues so rounding jagged edges before they cause a snag and break is important and pedi paws was not useful for that. Dremeling is common for use on large birds because eventhough you dont let the dremel bit get hot, it still goes fast enough that it will cauterize it if you hit the quick (most larger parrots had black thick nails - so you can't see it). Birds can bleed to death pretty quick, so for parrots-that was the preferred method we used at the pet store I worked at.
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Return to Nutrition & Health