What dogs do all day.....

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby BullyLady » February 10th, 2010, 6:29 pm

Okay, so I am 1.5 weeks into a 3 week gap between school ending and my job starting. I have been spending the days at home (bored out of my gourd), and so Shelby, who is normally crated while we are at work during the day, has been out and about. Except she isn't about. She snoozes on the couch all day. We still play our rope game in the morning and the evening, and she spends time playing around the back yard in the morning and evening, but beyond that she just kind of sleeps all day. I think this is probably what she did in her kennel all day when we were at work and I shouldn't be worried, but I'm a little worried so thought I would ask you all. This is probably what she did anyways, right?

Also, when I start my new job I will be working overnights. This means that Shelby will be in bed with my hubby all night and then either in her kennel or in bed with me all day, with active times in the mornings when Eric gets up and I get home, and in the evenings when I get up and Eric gets home, which is like usual for her for the most part. This is okay right? I mean, it's basically the same as being kenneled all day and then sleeping with us all night, with active times in the mornings and evenings, right?

I'm sure I'm overthinking all this. :rolleyes2:
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby Jenn » February 10th, 2010, 6:38 pm

I think as a general rule most dogs sleep quite a bit, I read something a long time ago that said dogs sleep more than half of their life or something like that... Some sleep less than others, (of course) but I know that it's much more typical for my two to have spouts of energy followed by sleeping, rinse and repeat ~ they sleep way more than they are actually up and about.

As far as schedule changes, she'll probably be perfectly fine, if she needs more exercise I'm sure you will know it, and can just adjust accordingly. ;)
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby Hundilein » February 10th, 2010, 7:12 pm

I discovered the same thing when I was home during the day for a while. It made me feel a lot less bad about leaving the dogs home all day while I was at work.
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby furever_pit » February 10th, 2010, 7:20 pm

I think a lot of sleeping is normal. And that's precisely why I don't feel bad about crating.

I think Shelby will do just fine with the schedule change.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » February 10th, 2010, 8:19 pm

I'm home with my dogs...and yes, they do a lot of sleeping, unless I'm up and moving around. 8)
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby iluvk9 » February 11th, 2010, 8:54 am

When June rolls around, my dogs go into "summer mode". As a teacher, you all know I work like 29 days a year. :wink: Anyway, when late August arrives, I start getting them back in the swing of the new schedule. They adapt. :)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby IzzysDad » March 19th, 2010, 3:33 am

Izzy has two speeds. Wide open and sleep.
IzzysDad
Just Whelped

Postby hugapitbull » March 19th, 2010, 5:08 am

IzzysDad wrote:Izzy has two speeds. Wide open and sleep.

Izzy is SO cute!

And, oh yes, the topic...our two sleep LOTS. Of course Trouble is getting older and needs her beauty sleep. And Duke, well if we're up and moving he is too, but if we're still, he's asleep.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Return to Pit Bull Talk