ok, i'm fed up.. i need help

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby jnreem » March 18th, 2010, 7:49 pm

So, Belle the pit we rescued from the bad owner has a peeing in the house problem. She does pee outside too, but she has been doing it consistently for over a month now and enough is enough. I feel like I am constantly cleaning and scrubbing. She is out of control hyperactive and I feel like when I try to discipline she is too occupied to even flinch. I won't even start about her barking at everything but thats a problem too. She was mostly peeing under the kitchen table so recently we moved the table around so maybe it would throw her off.. didn't happen. I feel like she knows better but still does it. We are putting the bell back on the door to teach her when she needs to go out to ring. Because she ALWAYS wants out. She has peed in the house today 3 times and we normally will put her outside right after it happens. And we don't always catch her in the act but sometimes we do and she looks guilty but AHH she is killing me! She is in her kennel right now, crying. I don't know where to go from here. HELP
Jenn & Buddy
jnreem
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 18th, 2010, 8:35 pm

It might be time to restrict her freedom in the house - either gate her into whatever room you are in or crate her if she cannot be actively supervised. Or you can attach her to you with a leash (like an umbilical cord!) so that you can still do things around the house while keeping her right beside you and supervised.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Patch O' Pits » March 18th, 2010, 8:57 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:It might be time to restrict her freedom in the house - either gate her into whatever room you are in or crate her if she cannot be actively supervised. Or you can attach her to you with a leash (like an umbilical cord!) so that you can still do things around the house while keeping her right beside you and supervised.
Good advice.

Also start obedience training and getting this dog a ton of exercise to help with confidence, hyper behaviors. APBTs need a TON of exercise to be happy, and it will also help with the new home adjustment.

Make sure you go out with her and see her potty and give her time to go more than once, reward her for going outside.

What exactly are you doing to discpline her? remember unless you catch her in the act it does nothing. best to catch her in the act say a firm, no and get her outside asap.
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby jnreem » March 18th, 2010, 9:49 pm

Patch O' Pits wrote:
pitbullmamaliz wrote:It might be time to restrict her freedom in the house - either gate her into whatever room you are in or crate her if she cannot be actively supervised. Or you can attach her to you with a leash (like an umbilical cord!) so that you can still do things around the house while keeping her right beside you and supervised.
Good advice.

Also start obedience training and getting this dog a ton of exercise to help with confidence, hyper behaviors. APBTs need a TON of exercise to be happy, and it will also help with the new home adjustment.

Make sure you go out with her and see her potty and give her time to go more than once, reward her for going outside.

What exactly are you doing to discpline her? remember unless you catch her in the act it does nothing. best to catch her in the act say a firm, no and get her outside asap.

Thanks!! Thats pretty much what were doing, because if we dont catch her in the act she has already forgot about it so no reason correcting. We are going to try gating her in a room with us.
Jenn & Buddy
jnreem
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby BullyLady » March 18th, 2010, 10:33 pm

When I was working as a vet tech I always minded new puppy owners to "throw a party" when they potty outside. If you feel absolutely ridiculous then it's probably just the right amount of praise. :wink: And do food treats!

Also, it's worth having a urinalysis run, if her kidneys are having trouble concentrating she could be peeing more often than is normal, and might have lack of control. They might try to push bloodwork, but just ask for a urinalysis, most of the screening kidney stuff can be found through that, and it's usually not too very expensive.
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby airwalk » March 19th, 2010, 12:09 pm

I was also going to recommend a quick urinalysis...just in case. Is she still going where the table was or did she change to where you moved the table?

Also, big party when she goes outside...and one other thing...when she goes outside does she have to come right back in....sometimes we think we are doing a good thing when we "let" them come right back in after going potty, but they may not see it that way. When I'm housetraining puppies I make sure that (this is really crappy when it's raining outside) that even after they go, if they show a desire to stay out and play for a few minutes we do so.

Sometimes if you bring them in too quickly, what they learn is when they go potty they "have" to go in...so they hold it to play, then become distracted and forget...then come in and go.
airwalk
I live here

Postby dlynne1123 » March 19th, 2010, 1:27 pm

Again, urinalysis. There are a few diseases or syndromes that can happen and can seem perfectly healthy other than the urination and other odd symptoms people don't always notice right away. Good luck!
Ryder - Rescue APBT
Panser on a Roll - APBT (American Bully?)
Gretchen - the red headed cat that thinks shes a dog
Prudence - the new cat on the block to put the dogs in their place!
Punchlines Better Than Lojac - APBT (RIP)
dlynne1123
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby jnreem » March 19th, 2010, 3:38 pm

dlynne1123 wrote:Again, urinalysis. There are a few diseases or syndromes that can happen and can seem perfectly healthy other than the urination and other odd symptoms people don't always notice right away. Good luck!

Yea, we had thought about this as well. We will get her checked out. And to the others, she has plenty of time outside and she normally always pees once atleast outside when she does go out so it very well could be that something is wrong but she does drink a ton of water so we'll see. She has peed near the kitchen table but not underneath of it like before. What are the symptoms i should be looking for?
Jenn & Buddy
jnreem
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby katiek0417 » March 19th, 2010, 4:29 pm

Jenn...why don't you call me?????
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby tiva » March 19th, 2010, 4:52 pm

If she's drinking a ton of water, try to measure how much exactly over the next several days, and make certain that you tell your vet about this. High water consumption is THE classic symptom of diabetes.
tiva
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby jnreem » March 19th, 2010, 10:18 pm

katiek0417 wrote:Jenn...why don't you call me?????

As soon as this Raven's process is over, I wanna get together with you so you can meet her and we can figure her issues out. I am just concerned something is wrong medically.

It's hard to measure what she is drinking exactly because they all drink from one HUGE water bowl.
Jenn & Buddy
jnreem
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Return to Training & Behavior