Day Time Dog Housing/Containment

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby PetieMarie22 » March 16th, 2010, 1:52 pm

I am currently looking into buying MANY acres of land in the country. IF this does happen, one of the things I really want to build inside a large fenced in area (probably stockade style) is 4 sperated dog runs with an attached shelter, seperated and attached to each dog run, that will be temperature controled. The indoor area would be seperated for each run and I would like it warm in the winter and cool in the summer.
I currently own one pit bull and hope to own another one and I might like to take in a foster in the future. I don't want dogs sitting in crates for 11 hours a day while I'm at work and I don't want to have to worry about them being effected by too much cold or heat while they are outside. They would still be in our house at night, of course. This would be for personal use for my dogs, I'm not looking to set up a rescue or kennel.
I may be able to take out some extra money when we set up the payment arrangement for the land, so I want to get a ball park of the cost.
If anyone has pictures of a set up or know a place where I could buy the materials (my man tries to be handy) or even a company that does this kind of stuff, advice would be greatly appreciated!
Kathleen (and George)
Petie Marie - spoiled rotten Pit Bull Terrier
Sunshine Honeysuckle Smith - DSH cat that lives under the couch
Sasha Marie - Bombay Mix = DIVA
PetieMarie22
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Malli » March 16th, 2010, 2:21 pm

I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable leaving my dog in a run outside while I was off my property. I know it's the country, but it takes all kinds, and people can be really determined to be cruel or hurtful.
I mean, I guess you could leave them in their kennels and lock them out of their runs while you're away, but I'd make sure everything was secure and not easily tampered with. JMHO :|
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby PetieMarie22 » March 16th, 2010, 3:01 pm

I thought about that too.That's why I was thinking about stockade or panel fence that you can't see through around the whole thing. That's fine to say it may not be a good idea. It may not be.
Kathleen (and George)
PetieMarie22
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Jenn » March 16th, 2010, 3:49 pm

http://www.tractorsupply.com/pet-care/p ... -h-3606033

Containment is only as good as you build it. I'd suggest something STURDY for sure, dig/concrete/bury the sides to protect against diggers or pushers, locks on the gate, all that fun stuff. I posted a link above for a kennel, there are some black coated ones similar sorry don't really have the time to search but I was really impressed with them when I seen them in person. Don't have any first hand experience with them though... I'd imagine dog daycares or something like that would have some nice setups if you could find some to look at on google or something. :|
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby Jenn » March 16th, 2010, 3:53 pm

http://www.optionsplus.com/ourcustomers.htm

Some nice looking setups & ideas in the photos on that site :)
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby furever_pit » March 16th, 2010, 3:58 pm

I like Mason and the welded Preifert kennels the best. Very sturdy, high quality kennels.

On my property I now have 24 indoor/outdoor kennel runs. It is built around (and in) a large outbuilding. Mine have guillotine doors so I can lock the dogs indoor or outdoor as I see fit. I also have full electric and air conditioning as well as filtered water.

I will do my best to get some pictures on here for you to see. My computer is currently broken and I am at a friend's house right now using hers. Or, if someone knows how I can link to a facebook album I can share it that way?
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby PetieMarie22 » March 16th, 2010, 4:02 pm

Thank you guys! Much appreciated!
Jenn - that second website has a TON of different set ups. I don't know about the picture of the cats in a cage in the snow though! (towards the bottom) LOL! Who does that?
Kathleen (and George)
PetieMarie22
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby furever_pit » March 16th, 2010, 4:23 pm

I also wanted to add that my kennels are surrounded by a locked 6 foot chain link fence. The fencing has the extenders on top where you can install barbed or razor wire fencing...I don't know yet whether or not I will be doing that.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby IzzysDad » March 21st, 2010, 4:09 pm

Sounds like an awesome setup.
IzzysDad
Just Whelped

Return to Pit Bull Talk