I hate irresponsible owners!

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby mnp13 » March 14th, 2010, 5:53 pm

Anything that you could have turned into a makeshift "rabies pole" would be what you want. Long stick with a noose on the end basically.

It does not sound like it would have worked in this instance, but a hose or very loud noise can break the focus of the dogs long enough to get them apart.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Tiger » March 14th, 2010, 6:08 pm

Debby,
I'd like to go and confront the guy who closed his garage door - I really would. Only Pete's more level headed self has managed to talk me out of it. As far as the owner of the loose dogs, I am very, very angry at them now. They did come back over early yesterday and look at the fence and gate again and made promises to replace the gate as well as the picket beside the gate and to replace the picket stash that we had to use to replace the other three that their dogs tore off. But here it is now late Sunday afternoon, but they have not come with the gate, or the pickets...they were supposed to return with them by yesterday afternoon. And they probably won't go get their dogs from the pound and they probably will get some other dog that they will not treat properly and that dog will likely have a similar fate as these two. They do have a history - last big dogs they had before these were 2 Rotties and those got taken by the pound in '08 for running at large. And you remember that little Spot dog that kept getting out and trying to get into my yard? He belonged to them, too. He was finally hit by a car on Guthrie about 10 months ago.

Angie,

Since the only entrance to the yard, (other than through the house, which was locked at the front door so no one would have been able to even get in that way to help me), is the one that the dogs were trying to get into - this is sort of moot, but -

Before it got really ugly in the back yard, I think anyone - stranger, friend, neighbor, police - whatever - would have been able to get my dogs to go with them into the house with the exception of Otis.

Otis does not like anyone that he does not know really well. Otis is an excellent example of poor breeding. He is just now starting to trust Debby and Amanda, and they have known him since he was a small puppy. Otis could, without a doubt, hurt someone badly given the opportunity. We watch Otis like a hawk around people that he does not know extremely well, and he is crated if we have company.

Domino, his sister, on the other hand - would have, at any point - even after she was amped up like something gone insane - allowed anyone to handle her without incident. She is the most human submissive dog that I have ever met and she loooooooooves everyone. I honestly believe that she could have been picked up and carried off without issue by anyone, so long as they could have held onto her madly squirming self. The biggest danger might have been getting scratched by her feet.

Gracie, while leery of people that she does not know well, is extremely well trained, (except for putting her paws on people that she really loves), and if I told her to go with someone else - I believe that she would have done it immediately and without issue.

Doja? that might be a bit more dicey. She is very protective of me and my things - like my car. She goes nuts if she is in the car and someone touches the door handle of it. Whether she'd actually do anything to them if they opened that door, I do not know. She loves people, (even complete strangers), and wants to climb into their laps for cuddles if she's not guarding her "territory".

Rascal and Bud would have gone with anyone - they just wanted to get away from the melee.
You could have been Jack The Ripper and they would have gone with you.

What could someone have done to help? Based on how the dogs disengaged as soon as the cop starting shooting at them, I think if someone had just distracted them - thrown a rock at them, or a piece of wood, ANYTHING long enough to break their focus, then once Domino was gone and not engaging back with them, it would have ended. At no point did they ever try to aggress on the cop, or the AC guy. They never even NOTICED them until they were being shot at, and then they broke off the fence attack and tried to run away. *I* was in their way of getting to Domino so that made me a target of their aggression until Domino was out of their sight line. Once she was gone, it was over and they just stopped. Seriously, it was like turning off the lights with a switch. BAM. Normal, frightened dogs who wanted nothing more than to hide because they knew that they were in big trouble now.

So, what would I do if I were going to try to help someone in a similar situation? First, I'd have me a big whopping stick - baseball bat, shovel - something just in case I needed it to whack some dog - and I'd find something to throw at them from a distance to try to distract them first. If that distraction did not work, then a massive beating might. A well placed head blow with a baseball bat, would, I think, break off the attack, too.

I know that a five gallon splash of water full on in their faces did nothing - nothing - but piss them off even more.

~Tiger
Doja; TT, CGC, CD, CDX, UD
Gracie; TT, CGC, CD, CDX, UD, UDX
Otis; CD, CDX
Domino; CD, CDX
Come visit http://NTBBC.com - "Changing One Mind At A Time"
You are given but one life to live, use it wisely....
Tiger
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby madremissy » March 15th, 2010, 6:04 am

What a scary situation all around. I can't believe no one came to help. :rolleyes2: I am glad everyone is OK.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 15th, 2010, 8:45 am

I just keep getting horrified every time I read this thread. I cannot imagine the fear you were feeling, and just cannot say "kudos" to you enough for keeping a clear head and doing what needed to be done.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby amazincc » March 15th, 2010, 9:47 am

Your neighbors SUCK... I could never, ever ignore someone who is yelling for help... at the VERY LEAST I would call 911. :nono: :mad2:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby PetieMarie22 » March 15th, 2010, 10:31 am

WOW! Sorry that happened to you!
Kathleen (and George)
Petie Marie - spoiled rotten Pit Bull Terrier
Sunshine Honeysuckle Smith - DSH cat that lives under the couch
Sasha Marie - Bombay Mix = DIVA
PetieMarie22
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Ino » March 15th, 2010, 12:21 pm

:shock: I don't think I could have kept my head on straight through that. Sounds like you did what you needed to in order to protect your crew. That sucks that your neighbors ignored your calls for help :cuss: . Glad things turned out for your dogs and hopefully the other dogs end up in a better home and those people dont go get more dogs. Irresponsible owners cause so many issues for good dog owners because one incident can be enough for laws and regulations to change and it puts people and other animals in danger. I'm glad you are all ok.
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Tiger » March 15th, 2010, 4:55 pm

Here are the two dogs - they are still there at the pound.

go to http://petharbor.com/ and enter zip code 75043
click "lost my pet"
next page choose search online and click "dog"
next page choose "Garland Animal Services: Garland, TX" and click use this shelter list
next page choose "lost my pet", click the dog picture, press "search now"

Currently:
The female is on on page 3, at the bottom, ID # A134776
The male is on page 4, in the middle of the page, ID # A134816

Cost to get them out will be $50ea for the impound
$30ea for the rabies vaccination and registration with the city
$5ea per day for each day of impound starting with 3/13

Their last day will be 3/17 and they can be released to no one but the owners.

~Tiger
Otis; CD, CDX
Domino; CD, CDX
Tiger
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby CinderDee » March 15th, 2010, 5:54 pm

So many of those dogs look terrified. It's just so sad. :(

I doubt those people will pick them up. They'll probably just get new dogs. :mad2:
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby cheekymunkee » March 15th, 2010, 7:39 pm

I am VERY surprised they are still there. And NOT surprised they are unaltered.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Malli » March 16th, 2010, 4:28 am

:(
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby PetieMarie22 » March 16th, 2010, 8:48 am

I'm asuming these "bad dogs" will be put down at the end of their waiting period. :( Is there a resucue in your area that may give them another chance? If they can be rehabilitated?
Kathleen (and George)
Petie Marie - spoiled rotten Pit Bull Terrier
Sunshine Honeysuckle Smith - DSH cat that lives under the couch
Sasha Marie - Bombay Mix = DIVA
PetieMarie22
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Jenn » March 16th, 2010, 10:44 am

CinderDee wrote:So many of those dogs look terrified. It's just so sad. :(

Just what I was thinking too :(
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby furever_pit » March 16th, 2010, 4:28 pm

HOLY CRAP!!
I am so glad that you and your dogs are okay.

I can't believe your neighbor just walking inside and closing his garage door. :cuss: Karma will get him though.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby turtle » March 16th, 2010, 10:46 pm

What a horrible experience! I am glad you and your dogs are ok.

It's owners like those that ruin it for all of us. I hope they will fix your gate and fence like they said they would.

I looked on the site you linked and the female, ID # A134776, was not shown so maybe she's been PTS or claimed, but the male was there, ID # A134816.

And a lot of other poor dogs too... even a "rare" blue pit and a tricolor pit, both neutered, hope they are just lost and get claimed...
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » March 17th, 2010, 11:34 pm

PetieMarie22 wrote:I'm asuming these "bad dogs" will be put down at the end of their waiting period. :( Is there a resucue in your area that may give them another chance? If they can be rehabilitated?

No, that shelter only releases pit bulls to the owner. No rescue will be allowed to pull them
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby iluvk9 » March 18th, 2010, 5:31 pm

Seven pages of LOST/STRAY DOGS???
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Tiger » March 19th, 2010, 2:50 am

I talked to the owners again today and they told me that they did not go get the dogs.
Sadly, that means that they are now dead :-(

And I'd say that 7 pages of lost dogs is not really a huge number when you consider that Garland is a pretty big city - something like the 10th most populous in Texas. Pushing 300,000 in population, I would guess.

~Tiger
Otis; CD, CDX
Domino; CD, CDX
Tiger
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Malli » March 19th, 2010, 1:16 pm

what friggin' assholes.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Previous

Return to Pit Bull Talk