I hate irresponsible owners!

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby Tiger » March 12th, 2010, 9:25 pm

2 strange pit bulls tried their best to break into my yard about an hour ago. I managed to get Gracie, Otis, and Doja into the house and crated, but had to shove Domino into the dog run as I had run out of time. These two strange females managed to pull the chain link off of the bottom rail of the fence and rip three boards off of the fence as well. I was fending them off with a shovel as best as I could, but they were hell bent on getting to Domino. They kept poking their heads thru the holes that they tore into the fence and I was hollering and hollering for help - but no one came to help. One neighbor came out on his driveway, saw what was happening, went back into his garage - and closed it. I was hitting and hitting them with a shovel and a hoe thru the fence, but they would not stop ripping at the fence. I had called 911 and the police and animal control were on their way, but time compresses when this is happening and I will not lie, I was so scared for Domino that I was screaming bloody murder because I knew if I left off for one instant with that shovel and hoe, those dogs were coming into my yard. They redirected onto one another as the police came and then the cop was shooting at them!!! IN MY DRIVEWAY!!

There is blood everywhere, but I managed to get the cop to stop shooting once I got Domino into the house by getting between him and those dogs. Once they could no longer see her, the dogs calmed down and we were able to get them into the AC truck.

The owners live down the alley from me. I went door to door to find them because the dogs were ripped all to pieces and bashed all over the head by my hoe and shovel.

I am a mess...

~Tiger
Doja; TT, CGC, CD, CDX, UD
Gracie; TT, CGC, CD, CDX, UD, UDX
Otis; CD, CDX
Domino; CD, CDX
Come visit http://NTBBC.com - "Changing One Mind At A Time"
You are given but one life to live, use it wisely....
Tiger
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby HappyChick » March 12th, 2010, 10:15 pm

OH MY GAWD! That must have been horrifying. :o

Is everyone at your house alright? It must have not only scared the living crap out of you, but your poor dogs!!! I hope they aren't traumatized. It sounds to me like you kept your wits about you and acted very well to protect yourself and your dogs. Wow! I'm so sorry that you had to go through that.

Irresponsible owners suck!
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby Tiger » March 12th, 2010, 11:27 pm

HappyChick wrote:OH MY GAWD! That must have been horrifying. :o

Is everyone at your house alright? It must have not only scared the living crap out of you, but your poor dogs!!! I hope they aren't traumatized. It sounds to me like you kept your wits about you and acted very well to protect yourself and your dogs. Wow! I'm so sorry that you had to go through that.

Irresponsible owners suck!

MY dogs are fine and I was the only one here when this was happening. Domino's mouth is torn a bit from biting on the chain link fencing of the dog run, but she is okay other than that. Doja seems to be okay, but is looking at me like I am a meanie. I guess I might look oddly at someone who threw me bodily into the house, too. I was surprised that Gracie went "pit bull" on me because she is the coldest pit bull that I have ever seen. She has no animal aggression at all, but she was going to eat those dogs for lunch if she had a chance, (I guess she thought that she was protecting me). At least she immediately stopped lunging for them when I told her "LEAVE IT!!! In the house NOW!!" All I can say is that I am so thankful that MY pit bulls are very, very well trained - and thank GOD Otis was not in the back yard when this all went down....

Not one of them seem to be the slightest bit traumatized and at this point, I have now had two stiff drinks, so I am better. But there is not a doubt in my mind that this is going to trouble me emotionally for some time. Those poor dogs - cop SHOOTING at them. Yeah, I know, he thought he was protecting me - but once my dogs were all inside the house, they, (strays), turned off like a flipped switch.

~Tiger
Otis; CD, CDX
Domino; CD, CDX
Tiger
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby BullyLady » March 13th, 2010, 12:09 am

All I can say is yes they do! And I'm glad you and your puppers are okay. You just can't catch a break, can you. :nono:
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby Malli » March 13th, 2010, 12:25 am

holy crap :eek1: Way to act on your feet!
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Tiger » March 13th, 2010, 1:00 am

Pictures, (clickable thumbnails), of the gate and driveway if anyone is interested. The gate, by the way, is only about a month old, and I think will need to be replaced as will that one picket beside it. So much of the wire is now twisted and stressed, that I believe another concentrated attack on it by any strong dog would mean it would tear the wire. So, I think I am going to tell the neighbors that I want a new one. There is another pretty large pool of blood underneath the Jeep as the Jeep was not here when this all happened and the smaller dog was bleeding profusely from the head and at one point, it fell down for about 2-3 seconds on the driveway and bled - a LOT in that spot.

The 3 pickets torn on the other side of the fence have already been replaced, (we keep spares around). Fortunately, most of my yard is double picketed, so the dogs tearing off those pickets did nothing but expose more fencing.

You can see how close the dog run is to that gate - and Domino was in that dog run, so they were after her like, well, like very wound up dogs hell bent on getting to another dog.

One of the saddest images that I cannot get out of my mind - the female blue fawn trying to crawl underneath my car as the policeman was shooting at her :( She was not even aggressive at that point as I was able to get Domino into the house once the police and AC arrived and he was still shooting at her. That's when I ran out and got between the cop and the dogs. They were wagging their tails by that point and oh, so scared and bloody *cry*

~Tiger
Otis; CD, CDX
Domino; CD, CDX
Tiger
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby BullyLady » March 13th, 2010, 1:50 am

So, which of the dogs was shot? Is it dead? :(
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby Tiger » March 13th, 2010, 2:04 am

BullyLady wrote:So, which of the dogs was shot? Is it dead? :(

He was shooting at both of them, but I do not know if he hit them or not because they were already so covered in blood. They ran around the side of the house at one point, but he did not pursue them there because I was screaming at him to stop, stop shooting at the dogs!! It was a smallish black gun that did not make a real loud BANG - more like a muffled POP sound. Pete says maybe a .25 caliber gun from my description. Both dogs were alive and squirmy when we put them into the AC truck and the AC guy said they were going straight away to the veterinarian with them. I looked for bullet scratch marks/holes on the driveway, at my car, and in the garage door - but I do not see any anywhere. I will look again once it is daylight.

Even if the neighbors do not go get them, I hope that SOMEONE does because they were nice dogs once my dogs were no longer visible. The smaller dog, (supposedly a puppy, still), was on a tether dragging 10' of chain with it - AND the thing that you twist into the ground was bouncing along behind. They had torn out a piece of their fence and "gotten out". What irks me most about that is that the lady said this was not the first time they had done that. So I showed her my fence and how it is double picketed and has re-bar driven into the ground every 6" and asked why, for God's sake, they don't do the same thing? - or better yet, do not allow the dogs to be unattended in the back yard! Mine are NEVER out there in the yard if I cannot watch them. NEVER.

If I can manage a household with seven dogs - four of them APBT, (2 of them with very high drive) - why can she not manage 2 APBT dogs???? And mine live with 6 cats, but I STILL manage to well, manage them.

~Tiger
Otis; CD, CDX
Domino; CD, CDX
Tiger
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby amazincc » March 13th, 2010, 8:46 am

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I am glad you and the dogs are alright... way to keep your $hit together in a crisis... :hug3:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 13th, 2010, 10:14 am

Holy christ! I'm so glad you and your dogs are okay! Sounds like you really kept your head and did what needed to be done. I'm so sorry you had to go through that.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Jenn » March 13th, 2010, 12:59 pm

:( What a horrifying ordeal, I'm really glad ya'll are ok!
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby cheekymunkee » March 13th, 2010, 2:40 pm

OMG!!!!!!! I am so sorry Tiger ( hugs)
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby TinaMartin » March 13th, 2010, 4:32 pm

I'm glad that you and your dogs are ok. I am sad for the otheer dogs though.
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby iluvk9 » March 13th, 2010, 8:07 pm

HOLY CRAP IS RIGHT!!! You really thought fast!!!
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby CinderDee » March 13th, 2010, 11:09 pm

OMG!!! I'm so glad you & your dogs are ok. I don't know if I would have done as well as you did. :hug3:
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby TheRedQueen » March 14th, 2010, 11:20 am

OMG...what a calm collected person you are in a crisis! Bet your dogs are grateful to you for that (despite being puzzled at your behavior...lol). But I'm so sorry you had to go through all of that...:(

:hug3:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Tiger » March 14th, 2010, 2:52 pm

I had a sort of mental checklist running through my head when the situation began, but I don't know if one could consider me calm under the circumstances. Focused yes, calm no.

Get Otis into the house first - I knew he would be the most difficult to contain when it got really bad because he is very, VERY hot to dogs not of his pack and I was afraid that he might accidentally bite me if he got too wound up while trying to get to them. Plus he is the largest of my crew and if he started pulling at the gate from this side while they pulled at the gate from that side - I knew it was going to be impossible to get him off that gate. In the house - in the crate - where he immediately began, and continued, to scream like a banshee the entire time...

Doja in the house next - because she was running around the yard like a lunatic and getting all in my way paying little attention to me other than to keep looking back at me and smiling! Doja actually thought this was FUN - until I grabbed her off of the ground and pitched her head first into the house and she went rolling across the floor. Grab her by the collar drag her to a crate and stuff her in.

Domino is the lightest in weight - she can be corralled last. OMG - look at Gracie! Is that my Gracie lunging and snapping and snarling? $HIT! One has a head IN the yard now through the hole they made in the gate and Gracie is biting its head - shaking her head back and forth and tearing its face! "LEAVE IT LEAVE IT LEAVE IT - in the house NOW!!!" Gracie breaks off and runs towards the house with me as I grab Domino up into the air, open the kennel and pitch Domino in as Domino has turned into a squirming mass of "I'm gonna KILL THEM!" and I cannot hold her anymore, (even if she does only weigh 30lbs). Open the back door - shoo Gracie in. Gracie is throwing herself bodily against the sliding glass door wanting back out because I am out there and part of me idly wonders if she is going to break the door.

One dog is now half-way through one of the holes. Run back into the yard and grab the freshly filled five gallon water bucket. Throw all of the water onto the strays - right in their faces. The dog withdraws from the hole long enough for me to grab the shovel hanging on the fence. Stuff the shovel head into the hole as a block as the dogs are now now enraged - completely enraged. Like a rabid pair of small Cujos.

Domino is going ape $hit crazy in the run - pulling on the wire trying to climb it to get out. To get to them. She's screaming like a nut and I can hear Otis in the house bansheeing OVER the noise and fear he's going to break out of his crate any second. I think - not good. If he gets out of the crate while Gracie is like that loose in the house going crazy at the door - those two are going to get into it. The strays focus on Domino and start pulling on the gate and ripping it harder pulling more of it loose getting more of their bodies through the holes that they have made. If I leave the gate for one second, they will be in it.

Grab the garden hoe, (one of those little hand-held ones), off of the fence and whack the fencing of the kennel with it and yell at Domino to leave it. She drops to a crouch but continues the banshee wail noise and gets all stiff looking and focused tighter on the dogs as she pulls at the fencing of the run with her teeth. Rascal and Bud, already in the dog run when this all began, run into the dog houses and just watch the situation as it unfolds. Rascal is so afraid that he looses control of his bladder.

Chop with the hoe on the dogs' snouts with one hand - stab with the shovel with the other. I know that if they get into the yard, they will attack me because I am keeping them from the dogs they want in the run. I would not be able to make it to the back door before they got in. Spare 2 seconds to dial 911 with my cell phone. I cannot hear anyone on the other line over the barking/snarling/screaming dogs. I just keep repeating my address and asking for help telling the phone over and over - dog attack - dog attack - dog attack. Come to the back of the house - come to the back of the house - while I chop chop chop at the dogs with the hoe while trying to keep the shovel pinned in place with my foot as one's teeth are grabbing at my sneaker. There's no way that they could not hear the dogs on their end, but I have no idea, what, if anything, they said in return because by now, the phone is laying on the ground. I don't even know if they are coming......so I start to scream for help hoping that a neighbor will hear me and come help me. No one comes. No one is going to keep this from being a catastrophe except me, but I keep screaming for help. And I keep chopping and I keep stabbing and keep praying under my breath for what seemed like forever before the cop and AC came.

They drive up together and the AC guy gets out of his truck and climbs on top of it. Not on the hood of it - on TOP of the cage part of the back of the truck. And then the cop starts to shoot as the AC guy yells at me to get away from the fence so that he can shoot them. The dogs break off the fence attack and run towards the side of my house - I slammed open the kennel, grabbed Domino up off of the ground and ran for the house while calling Bud and Rascal to me - stuffed them into the back door - slammed it shut again - ran back for the yard, and through the back gate screaming at the cop to stop shooting - stop shooting. The idiot is still on top of his truck while I ran around to the side of the house and grabbed the smaller dog's chain. They have no fight in them now - they just want to get away, but the side yard is also fenced and the gate is shut and they cannot get away....the blue fawn tries to squirm underneath my car, but it is too low to the ground

Once the cop realizes that I am not getting bitten and that I am between him and the dogs, he puts away his gun, and the other idiot climbs down from the top of hit truck with his catch pole in hand and grabs the blue fawn with it as she tries to get more of her body under my car...he leads her to the truck and picks her up with the pole and stuffs he in the cage.

I soothed the other dog as best as I could with my voice as I dragged it toward me by its chain and led it to the truck. The AC idiot opens the door, and I lifted the dog up and put it into the cage - and it was over.

Total time elapsed? I think about 12-15 minutes.

And the neighbor STILL has yet to go check on the dogs at the pound...

~Tiger
Otis; CD, CDX
Domino; CD, CDX
Tiger
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby cheekymunkee » March 14th, 2010, 3:24 pm

Son of a bitch!!!! This is Garland, those poor dogs are either already dead or will be by morning. And I bet the asswads will have new dogs by the end of the month. I HOPE they get fined for this. I woudl love to torch a few of your neighbors houses :mad2: I miss my old neighborhood, my neighbors over there were great! No WAY would they have left me screaming in my back yard.

I am SO glad you & little Domino are ok. I hope this doesnt make her realize she is a pit bull now. She is such a dainty little thing but I bet she could hold her own. Otis would have cleaned house. He dont play. And Gracie??? What the hell Gracie??
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby HappyChick » March 14th, 2010, 4:20 pm

That is just an amazing story! You did a fabulous job of focusing on what needed to be done to save your dogs and yourself. Good thing you had your cell phone right on you too. I hope the neighbors who own those dogs get fined out the butt. Can you press charges against them for the destruction their dogs did to your fence? I feel bad for those dogs.

I wonder if no neighbors came to help you because they were afraid the dogs would turn on them. That doesn't excuse your neighbors in my eyes, though.

So I have a question for those members who have dealt with an attacking dog....what should a person do if they want to help in a situation like Tiger experienced?

I guess someone could have helped get your other dogs inside, but were your dogs going to let a stranger grab them and put them inside with everyone being all amped up? I'm not trying to be a smarta$$, I really want to know in case I ever get in a situation like that.
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby Malli » March 14th, 2010, 4:32 pm

I'm curious too

If I'd been there and trying to help, I would have been tempted to lasso each attacking dog with a rope without touching them and take them out of sight of the house.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Next

Return to Pit Bull Talk