Crate padding and sores on elbows

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby DeeNtheChillas » March 14th, 2010, 1:19 am

So, I need suggestions for how to pad a crate for a dog who likes to shred anything and everything in said crate.

My boston/chi mix, Blazer, is a crate shredder - he never chews a damn thing unless he's in his crate, but in his crate nothing is safe from his oversized teeth and those hooks he has for nails (damn those things grow fast).

Unfortunately, his shredding is causing him to develop unsightly sores on his elbows from laying on the hard bottom of the crate and I feel awful whenever I look at them. :(

Any suggestions on what I can do to help this? I crate for the safety of the cats - the dogs are in a bedroom upstairs behind closed doors. They usually get along with the cats just fine but they're both part terrier and both can be snarky and I just feel better being safe. I just want Blazer's poor elbows to be better!
Dee and the furry babies:
Lizz (11 y/o beagle x toy fox terrier)
Blazer (7 y/o chihuahua x boston terrier)
Valentino (less than a year old pit bull)
Tyler and Victoria, the kitties
and the 'chillas
Humble Acres Chinchillas
http://www.humbleacreschinchillas.com
DeeNtheChillas
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby iluvk9 » March 14th, 2010, 8:29 am

My friend had good luck with this one from Orvis, although a higher priced item:

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=0Y4X
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby DeeNtheChillas » March 14th, 2010, 12:44 pm

Hmmm yes a bed that can withstand a bigger dog's torments would work for Blazer - he is only 15 pounds of fury. Bed also needs to be comfortable, mind you. The cats think the crates are there for them when the dogs aren't in them. :wink:

Keep the suggestions coming! I'm tempted every time I'm in TSC to pick up a cheap bed but I've cleaned enough fuzz and shredded fabric off of the floor.
and the 'chillas
Humble Acres Chinchillas
DeeNtheChillas
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Patch O' Pits » March 14th, 2010, 3:38 pm

Kong just came out with one that petsmart carries which is supposed to be extra sturdy
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby SLS61185 » March 15th, 2010, 1:30 am

Patch O' Pits wrote:Kong just came out with one that petsmart carries which is supposed to be extra sturdy

I was lookin' at that the other day. Patch is also another bed destroyer. I quit buying new ones and just left all the stuffing in the crate. He doesn't eat it or anything.

The kong beds are expensive! :doh:
Stac

Today is the tomorrow that we worried about yesterday - Unknown
SLS61185
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby amazincc » March 15th, 2010, 10:07 am

SLS61185 wrote:The kong beds are expensive! :doh:

But they are worth it IF they are not easily destroyed... :wink:
I'll let you know what my two think of them when they get here. :dance:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby mnp13 » March 15th, 2010, 5:42 pm

We use plain cotton sheets in the crates. I get them for a dollar or less each at house sales. They can shred to their heart's content and I don't care, and if they have a bad bout of vomiting or diarrhea I can throw them all away and not feel guilty. Three or four queen sized bed sheets in a large crate end up making a pretty deep "nest"
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby DeeNtheChillas » March 15th, 2010, 6:39 pm

That's what I've been using for Blazer's crate, sheets, but he shreds them up, shoves them in the back of his crate and lays in the front where there's no cushion. :rolleyes2:

Over the weekend I put an old pillow in there. It isn't yet shredded, but it's pushed to the back.
and the 'chillas
Humble Acres Chinchillas
DeeNtheChillas
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby mnp13 » March 15th, 2010, 8:24 pm

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=2E34

This one is guaranteed "chew proof" or your money back... it had better be for $200!!!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby TheRedQueen » March 15th, 2010, 8:27 pm

mnp13 wrote:We use plain cotton sheets in the crates. I get them for a dollar or less each at house sales. They can shred to their heart's content and I don't care, and if they have a bad bout of vomiting or diarrhea I can throw them all away and not feel guilty. Three or four queen sized bed sheets in a large crate end up making a pretty deep "nest"

Yeah, my boarding dogs and service dogs in training that visit are given old hospital blankets...I get them for free from Fidos (someone donates them to us)...and they're easily washed and bleached...and if they're beyond help, I just toss 'em!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby DeeNtheChillas » March 15th, 2010, 11:02 pm

Why can't he be an angel like Lizz - she has a huge comfy blanket, two pillows and a stuffed toy (for cuddling) in her crate and doesn't touch a thing. He HAD a blanket, couple of pillows, and a toy but he shredded them all... :rolleyes2:

This pillow has lasted so far. Perhaps he likes this one...
and the 'chillas
Humble Acres Chinchillas
DeeNtheChillas
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby iluvk9 » March 16th, 2010, 6:05 am

I am always nervous about sheets and blankets because my shredder (Lenny) will then eat the material.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby amazincc » March 18th, 2010, 11:42 pm

amazincc wrote:
SLS61185 wrote:The kong beds are expensive! :doh:

But they are worth it IF they are not easily destroyed... :wink:
I'll let you know what my two think of them when they get here. :dance:

Sooooo... the kong beds are nice (though the small size is a little too small for our crates, but the large would be too big - I don't know why manufacturers can't coordinate on that :rolleyes2: ). However - while Fausts bed is still in one piece, Sepp ate the handle off his and destroyed the zipper. In about 15 minutes. :doh: :nono:

lol
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby SLS61185 » March 19th, 2010, 5:17 am

amazincc wrote:Sooooo... the kong beds are nice (though the small size is a little too small for our crates, but the large would be too big - I don't know why manufacturers can't coordinate on that ). However - while Fausts bed is still in one piece, Sepp ate the handle off his and destroyed the zipper. In about 15 minutes.

Lol. I was talkin' to my husband last night about the new beds.... And I read a bunch of the reviews on PetsMarts site... People liked them, but said they were shredded too easy. Said the handle and because of the zipper being easy to get to. Once we read the thing about the zippers, he told me no. Patch goes straight for zippers, every-single-time.

I think Faust needs to have a talk with Patch about chewing up all of his beds.
Stac

Today is the tomorrow that we worried about yesterday - Unknown
SLS61185
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby DeeNtheChillas » March 19th, 2010, 8:10 am

The pillow has been working for Blazer thus far. Sores on his elbows are already healing! :D

Since we do plan to add a bigger dog to the family soon, all of the bed suggestions are appreciated! The two current dogs sleep in cat beds (as do the cats).
and the 'chillas
Humble Acres Chinchillas
DeeNtheChillas
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby IzzysDad » March 21st, 2010, 1:38 pm

I need to check the Kong beds out.
IzzysDad
Just Whelped

Postby PetieMarie22 » April 20th, 2010, 11:21 am

DeeNtheChillas wrote:The pillow has been working for Blazer thus far. Sores on his elbows are already healing!

I was wondering if things are still working out with the pillow. I was using $5 fleece throws in Petie's crate, but she has been chewing them and I have been finding vomit with pieces of blanket in them. I'm not risking any blockage issues, so right now she is on bare metal.

Or anyone else find something that has been working for blanket/sheet chewers?
Kathleen (and George)
Petie Marie - spoiled rotten Pit Bull Terrier
Sunshine Honeysuckle Smith - DSH cat that lives under the couch
Sasha Marie - Bombay Mix = DIVA
PetieMarie22
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby tiva » April 21st, 2010, 7:59 pm

We bought the medium sized round Orvis tough chew for Vanya, and it fits really well into a large crate (being round doesn't matter much, for some reason--it just makes more of a comfy nest). It's on sale now at Orvis: http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=10YTws for $79 instead of $105, a very good deal considering that our cheapo Farm and Fleet dog beds die in a year.

Ours has lasted 2.5 years with a dedicated shredder and chewer, and he loves it in his crate. I like it because you can just toss the whole thing in the washer and drier--no need to take off the cover and wash things separately (although you can do that if you like). I chose the round rather than the rectangle, because the edges are where dogs are most likely to chew a hole.
tiva
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby amazincc » April 21st, 2010, 10:20 pm

The reviews aren't all that encouraging... :|
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby PetieMarie22 » April 22nd, 2010, 10:48 am

tiva wrote:We bought the medium sized round Orvis tough chew for Vanya, and it fits really well into a large crate (being round doesn't matter much, for some reason--it just makes more of a comfy nest).

How much does Vanya weigh? Petie is 55lbs, but she often curls into a little ball when she sleeps. Maybe the medium would fit her. Also, you think that bed will be hot for the dog in the summer?
amazincc wrote:The reviews aren't all that encouraging...

I noticed. I know it's all a pain in the rear, but least they give you you money back if your dog shreds the Orvis bed.
Kathleen (and George)
Petie Marie - spoiled rotten Pit Bull Terrier
Sunshine Honeysuckle Smith - DSH cat that lives under the couch
Sasha Marie - Bombay Mix = DIVA
PetieMarie22
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health