Wiener in a basket video

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby TheRedQueen » March 12th, 2010, 1:38 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ut_AYktb3o

Me n' Fig shaping the other day...the goal is to get him to curl up and lie down in the basket. You'd think I was asking the world of him...he was soooo frustrated. He can do this behavior any time, in anything...but obviously not the scary basket! lol I was pushing the envelope with him (so there is some frustrated whining)...but I figured that he could handle it...he's done the behavior in other items, and this was nothing difficult...obviously it was for him for some reason! BTW, his newest trick is the spin...which is why you'll see that crop up quickly! lol
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby iluvk9 » March 12th, 2010, 6:24 am

You really make it look so easy! I am thinking this is my next project. Clicker training Truman. :)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Hundilein » March 12th, 2010, 10:34 am

Very cute!
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby Jenn » March 12th, 2010, 12:22 pm

I admit I'm probably just confused, cause I'm sure it's been covered or I could find it somewhere but why not give him any verbal clues, to lay down, or anything else? The point of the clicker training is for them to figure out on their own what your wanting without saying anything? He's really so cute btw.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby TheRedQueen » March 12th, 2010, 12:29 pm

Jenn wrote:I admit I'm probably just confused, cause I'm sure it's been covered or I could find it somewhere but why not give him any verbal clues, to lay down, or anything else? The point of the clicker training is for them to figure out on their own what your wanting without saying anything? He's really so cute btw.

:) We're shaping this behavior...so the clicker does the "talking". I tell people it's like playing the old kids game where you tell someone if they're hotter or colder. So he gets clicked for behaviors that are headed towards the end goal...which are sometimes little tiny behaviors (looking at the basket, or touching the basket, etc) We don't always end with the goal...in this case, he didn't lay down in the basket...but we'd gone on long enough. The next session (I'll tape this too)...he *should* just jump into the basket, because he now knows that the click/treat comes from that behavior. :)

So you're right...I want him to figure it out, and not be told what to do. I don't add a word or visual cue until he's got the behavior solid...because otherwise it's just confusing for him. Traditional methods are to give the word, and help the dog into the position...but the dog doesn't really know what that word means at first. So with shaping, we add the cue/word later when the dog has the behavior down pat.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby Jenn » March 12th, 2010, 12:34 pm

Ahhh, very interesting. I was just watching Renee's training videos too. Thanks for the explanation, this may be something I can have some fun with. 8)
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby LMM » March 12th, 2010, 2:48 pm

I love how his head starts whipping around to see what your hand is doing lol

Very interesting!
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby HappyChick » March 12th, 2010, 4:23 pm

The Weiner is so cute!

I'm glad you posted this video. I've been considering trying clicker training and watching your video took a little of the mystery out of it for me. Could you suggest a good book on clicker training? Is Karen Pryor a good source for training info?
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » March 12th, 2010, 4:50 pm

It's so much fun to clicker train. :)

Karen Pryor is a good source for clicker info...the clickertraining.com site has a lot of good articles.

A good, simple, easy to read book for positive reinforcement/clicker basics is "The Power of Positive Dog Training" by Pat Miller.

A good one for "hard to train dogs"..."When Pigs Fly" by Jane Killion

TheRedQueen

Postby TheRedQueen » March 12th, 2010, 4:52 pm

LMM wrote:I love how his head starts whipping around to see what your hand is doing lol

Very interesting!

One of his new offered behaviors is the "sit while looking away"...like a kid in the corner...lol. It's just something he came up with during the "spin" shaping sessions. It always makes me laugh...because then he whips his head around for the treat. :giggle: I need to put that on cue soon!

TheRedQueen

Postby amazincc » March 13th, 2010, 8:37 am

I really :heartbeat: Fig... and I'm glad to see that Faust isn't the only one who does the frustrated whining when trying to figure things out... :giggle:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 13th, 2010, 10:16 am

He really is adorable!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby TheRedQueen » March 13th, 2010, 10:26 am

Here's the second training session (see how fast he gets in that basket now!) He still got a little frustrated...but I was distracted by Oreo whining in the basement, and the cat slowly creeping up on us...so my timing wasn't great. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BiLUiG1_Dc

TheRedQueen

Postby IzzysDad » March 21st, 2010, 4:38 pm

That's awesome.
IzzysDad
Just Whelped

Return to Training & Behavior