Albino Rotti?

Post your pics and vids here.

Postby maberi » March 6th, 2010, 4:47 pm

I walked into the shelter today to see this guy sitting on the stray side. He is one BIG boy and REALLY odd looking. Top part of his body is that albino looking color and the bottom is the conventional black and tan

Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby pocketpit » March 6th, 2010, 4:49 pm

I have photos of two Rotti clients from work that suffer from the same thing. It's a disease process much like the one Michael Jackson claimed to suffer which causes pigmentation to change.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby maberi » March 6th, 2010, 4:50 pm

pocketpit wrote:I have photos of two Rotti clients from work that suffer from the same thing. It's a disease process much like the one Michael Jackson claimed to suffer which causes pigmentation to change.

Is it a disease that affects Rottis more? I don't suppose you remember what it is called?
maberi

Postby maberi » March 6th, 2010, 4:53 pm

Vitiligo?
maberi

Postby pocketpit » March 6th, 2010, 5:06 pm

Yes. I found an interesting article on a 9yr old Rotti with some strange epithealial (sp?) form of T cell Lymphoma that caused depigmentation (along with pad sloughing and some other clinical signs). I guess that's a good overall term for it since they have no idea what the exact cause of Vitiligo.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby BullyLady » March 6th, 2010, 6:16 pm

Weird!! That has to be the oddest markings I have ever seen!!

Do you feel like his chances of being adopted are hurt or helped by his odd appearance?
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 6th, 2010, 6:25 pm

Wow! I've never seen anything like that!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby iluvk9 » March 6th, 2010, 7:22 pm

If he was on the "stray side" does that mean he might be claimed by his owner soon? He just looks so sad in the photo.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Ino » March 6th, 2010, 7:22 pm

I've never seen anything like that either...I think it is a neat color combo though- I love his eyebrows!! He is handsome! :D
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby maberi » March 6th, 2010, 10:38 pm

iluvk9 wrote:If he was on the "stray side" does that mean he might be claimed by his owner soon? He just looks so sad in the photo.

He's on the side where they have to hold him for a few days prior to putting him up for adoption (in case someone comes in to claim him) . He is a big boy with a big bark but he is really sweet and seems to know quite a bit. Someone took the time to put some obedience on him. He walks well on a leash and seems to do well with other dogs as well.

The shelter I volunteer at very rarely if ever has to euthanize an adoptable animal due to space so he has a really good chance of being adopted. I think most people will be turned off by his appearance at first but since he has such a wonderful temperament I think he will go fast.

I have to admit when I walked in and saw him I just sat there and stared for a bit. He started barking at me and on a whim I asked him to sit and his butt dropped instantly. He is a good boy :wink:
maberi

Postby LMM » March 6th, 2010, 10:52 pm

Good gracious, how unique looking! I love him :)
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby Malli » March 7th, 2010, 4:25 am

I think he looks neat!

I wouldn't say its albino, because even the off-colored fur has a color, versus albino = lacking any pigment. Definitely something going on with him pigment though.

I've never heard of this before, its interesting! Pocketpit, do you know any more?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby CinderDee » March 7th, 2010, 8:04 am

He's so strange looking. When I first saw him I thought you photoshopped him as a joke. He's unique, that's for sure!
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby amazincc » March 7th, 2010, 12:22 pm

He looks like an ewok... and I think he's gorgeous. :shock: :heartbeat:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby DeeNtheChillas » March 7th, 2010, 12:47 pm

He's really quite striking!
Dee and the furry babies:
Lizz (11 y/o beagle x toy fox terrier)
Blazer (7 y/o chihuahua x boston terrier)
Valentino (less than a year old pit bull)
Tyler and Victoria, the kitties
and the 'chillas
Humble Acres Chinchillas
http://www.humbleacreschinchillas.com
DeeNtheChillas
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby pitsnok » March 7th, 2010, 2:27 pm

Oh if I could, I would adopt him in a heart beat. He is gorgeous! (But then again, I am drawn to the 'weird')...I am seriously obsessed with this dog. I keep coming back to this thread just to look at his picture.

So cool.
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby pocketpit » March 7th, 2010, 4:31 pm

I wouldn't say its albino, because even the off-colored fur has a color, versus albino = lacking any pigment. Definitely something going on with him pigment though.

I've never heard of this before, its interesting! Pocketpit, do you know any more?

You're right about it being a depigmentation issue vs. being albino. I don't know a whole lot more about it other than depigmentation is thought to be caused by autoimmune issues, thyroid problems and possibly other unknown factors. There was that one weird case of T cell lymphoma I read about and some of that dog's pigment came back after beginning chemo treatments.

One of the two Rotts I've seen in person was just 2 weeks ago. A four year old, intact male that was brought to us for DKA treatment. Nice looking dog so he probably had some decent breeding behind him. He'd just begun to depigment so his nose was affected, he had white ear tips and a couple of tiny spots on his head. His foot pads had also been affected and most of them had morphed to pink with black spots.
The other Rott was also a male, but older and severly affected like the dog in the photo in this thread. His owners said the problem had begun in Dec. of the previous year and six months later the dog was covered in white. I can not remember what we were treating him for but it was nothing serious because if I remember correctly he just got outpatient treatment.

Apparently Boxers are another breed that tend to be affected but I've never seen any.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby maberi » March 7th, 2010, 6:06 pm

Mr. Jackson went home today. His owners came into the shelter today to claim him. They confirmed he has vitiligo
maberi

Postby pitsnok » March 7th, 2010, 6:25 pm

Mr. Jackson

:giggle:
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » March 7th, 2010, 6:28 pm

So glad he went home! I love his looks
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Next

Return to Gallery and Cinema