The "dreaded" vet visit...

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby amazincc » February 25th, 2010, 7:00 pm

went GREAT, behavior-wise!!!! :D :D :D
I would defitinitely not classify Sepp as being DA. :dance:
He was a little nervous, very excited, and a tad on the overly-friendly-hyper side... but no posturing, no staring, no growling, no hackles up, nothing of the sort.
Did he try to yank me off my feet trying to greet every dog we saw? Yup. lol
His weight is at 65.3 lbs. - vet was very impressed. :clap:
Didn't need his nails done - vet tech was also impressed. :mrgreen:
He did pee on all of us when they took his temp, but I totally "get" that... it's not the most comfortable position to be in. :neutral:

The not-so-great news... a couple of hundred dollars later we still have no idea why he's coughing.
He doesn't have kennel cough.
They did blood work, took all kinds of samples, checked his ears/nose/throat, listened to his lungs and heart, and gave him a thorough physical exam from head to toe.
His temp was slightly elevated and his ears are really red, but he doesn't have an ear infection.
The vets best "guess" is a bronchial/trachial-something, so Sepp is on antibiotics and cough meds w/codeine for now. She also gave him a sedative to calm him down a little (injection)... he's snoring in his crate as I type this.
If he hasn't improved by Monday the vet wants to examine his trachea under sedation to see if he could've swallowed/inhaled anything foreign that's now stuck somewhere and is causing irritation.
He still got his rabies updated.

So, I worried for nothing... at least when it comes to Sepps behavior. He was REALLY good, and the vet kept laughing about his wagging tail and the tongue-washing she got while trying to check him out.
The vet tech took him out of the room for his sedative, and Sepp willingly went w/her... didn't even glance back in my direction. :mrgreen:

I'm SO proud of my goof ball! :heartbeat:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Malli » February 25th, 2010, 7:37 pm

excellent! :)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby maberi » February 25th, 2010, 8:51 pm

Awesome news!!! Glad to hear the little guy didn't have anything serious
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby hugapitbull » February 25th, 2010, 9:16 pm

I KNEW he could be a good boy in public. What makes them (he and Duke) so damned crazy at home :crazy2: Oh and glad he has nothing serious, that is always wonderful news.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby pitbullmamaliz » February 25th, 2010, 9:18 pm

I knew he would act appropriately. :wink:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby madremissy » February 25th, 2010, 9:27 pm

Glad it went well. Mama is having a heck of a time with Tassie. I told her about the looking down the throat.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby amazincc » February 25th, 2010, 9:30 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:I knew he would act appropriately. :wink:

Yeah... once all that calm-submissive energy travelled up the leash I was definitely on my best behavior. Sepp knows how to keep Mom in check. :wink: lol
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby amazincc » February 25th, 2010, 9:32 pm

madremissy wrote:Glad it went well. Mama is having a heck of a time with Tassie. I told her about the looking down the throat.

Is she still *coughing*? The antibiotics aren't helping?
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby LMM » February 25th, 2010, 9:44 pm

Yay Sepp! I had total confidence in that boy :D
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby TheRedQueen » February 25th, 2010, 10:33 pm

:clap:

Yea for both of you! :hug3:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby madremissy » February 25th, 2010, 10:41 pm

amazincc wrote:
madremissy wrote:Glad it went well. Mama is having a heck of a time with Tassie. I told her about the looking down the throat.

Is she still *coughing*? The antibiotics aren't helping?

She is having a tough time getting the pills in the picky eating girl and then when you give her anything but her special food that is for her stomach, she gets sick. It is taking all her and Daddy have to get a pill down her throat. When they think they got it down she spits it back out. Then the doctor told her about the Robitussin and Mama is wondering how she can get the liquid down her.

Tassie is a smart cookie. She will not do cheese, peanut butter, anything.... She inspects everything you offer her to eat and if she even thinks there is something in there she will walk away. :rolleyes2:Mama has gotten 3 days worth of pills in her but she spit out two that were mush by the time she kept it in her cheek and then spit it out. Mama doesn't want it to get to where it will be impossible to give her a pill.

Yes she is still coughing. :(
madremissy

Postby amazincc » February 25th, 2010, 10:45 pm

madremissy wrote:She is having a tough time getting the pills in the picky eating girl and then when you give her anything but her special food that is for her stomach, she gets sick. It is taking all her and Daddy have to get a pill down her throat. When they think they got it down she spits it back out. Then the doctor told her about the Robitussin and Mama is wondering how she can get the liquid down her.

Tassie is a smart cookie. She will not do cheese, peanut butter, anything.... She inspects everything you offer her to eat and if she even thinks there is something in there she will walk away. :rolleyes2:Mama has gotten 3 days worth of pills in her but she spit out two that were mush by the time she kept it in her cheek and then spit it out. Mama doesn't want it to get to where it will be impossible to give her a pill.

Yes she is still coughing. :(

Have they ever tried liverwurst???
They can give the Robitussin w/a syringe... is Tassie a biter?
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby madremissy » February 25th, 2010, 10:50 pm

No she doesn't bite, ( My mom can do anything with her) she has just figured out how to keep that mouth shut. She has some of her brother in her. Sammy is a pain in the butt to get liquid or a pill down but I don't have to worry he will eat ANYTHING so I just hide the pill in food. Tassie is the pickiest eater alive. She turned down chicken, dog treats, anything. If she does eat it, she eats so slow that she can pick the pill out of it. My mom is poking it down her throat but then she starts coughing again, like it gets stuck. Then the whole process starts over again. She has 7 days to go with this.
madremissy

Postby airwalk » February 25th, 2010, 11:00 pm

Robitussin in liquid .. get a small syringe and slide it down the side of her mouth...even if she keeps her teeth shut, slide it between the teeth and cheek, clear to the back and holding her head squeeze slowly (you don't want her to feel like she's drowning)...but she can't stop that.

Have you tried crushing the pills and putting them in a bit of her food
airwalk
I live here

Postby amazincc » February 25th, 2010, 11:01 pm

Hmmm... I have ground pills for the cats and mixed up the powder w/a very little bit of wet food, usually when they were hungry already. Then I didn't feed them the rest of their food until the medicated stuff was gone first.
When Sepp had the problem w/his jaw and wouldn't open his mouth because it was too painful... liverwurst wrapped around the pill worked like magic. Plain piece first, then the one w/the pill, then another plain piece.

A baby syringe should work for liquids, I would think... they are long and your Mom should be able to push it pretty far into Tassies mouth.

Those little dogs are tough! :shock:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby madremissy » February 25th, 2010, 11:32 pm

They are going through everything to get her to eat now. It is just waiting it out till she is hungry enough. But with her tummy issues, she gets sick when her tummy is empty. My mom will figure it out. Tassie is her heart dog for sure and she will do anything for her.
She has the baby syringe. She wasn't going to try to get ther to lick it out of the spoon or anything :wink: Daddy just has to hold her for Mama.
madremissy

Return to Training & Behavior