Emergency Surgery for Blockage

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » February 20th, 2010, 4:46 pm

I'm so glad they got it out. Especially since it sounds like the damage wasn't as bad as it could have been. Are you going to get to see him? If so, give him some scritches from me. And you and Demo hug each other for me. :hug3:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
User avatar
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing
 
Posts: 15437
Location: Cleveland, OH

Postby amazincc » February 20th, 2010, 5:25 pm

Scritches from me, too... phew. I'm glad he's okay. :D
User avatar
amazincc
Jessica & Mick
 
Posts: 9814
Location: Holding them both in my heart.

Postby Suzi » February 20th, 2010, 5:48 pm

hugs to you both! i was really worried here...

i have been lurking and saying some prayers....Good to hear Conner is going to be ok.

give 'em a squish from us.
Suzi
Snot Nose Bully Pup
 
Posts: 128

Postby Pit♥bull » February 20th, 2010, 5:52 pm

I've heard of 'soap on a rope' but not 'bone on a rope' :shock:
Hope Connor has a swift recovery and you are able to keep that new vehicle :)
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully
 
Posts: 1207

Postby mnp13 » February 20th, 2010, 6:00 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:Are you going to get to see him?

No. I asked the Dr about it, and she said they are keeping him heavily sedated and it's best if he doesn't get excited. It's really hard for me not to though.

Pit♥Bull wrote:Hope Connor has a swift recovery and you are able to keep that new vehicle

We'll see. I left a message for the business manager, told him the situation and asked if we could work something out. I don't have the upper hand on this one, so we'll see what he says.

Pit♥Bull wrote:I've heard of 'soap on a rope' but not 'bone on a rope'

lol Never a dull moment with Connor! We grind our chicken and turkey, but there's no way to grind deer femurs. I can't imagine that was the first bone chunk that he has ever swallowed, but having it end up wrapped up with the rope was the main problem.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
User avatar
mnp13
Evil Overlord
 
Posts: 17232
Location: Rochester, NY

Postby amazincc » February 20th, 2010, 6:09 pm

mnp13 wrote:
Pit♥Bull wrote:I've heard of 'soap on a rope' but not 'bone on a rope'

lol Never a dull moment with Connor! We grind our chicken and turkey, but there's no way to grind deer femurs. I can't imagine that was the first bone chunk that he has ever swallowed, but having it end up wrapped up with the rope was the main problem.


Start grinding his rope toys. :wink:

I swear - if I don't worry about my own beasts, I worry about someone elses. Never a dull moment. :crazy2:
User avatar
amazincc
Jessica & Mick
 
Posts: 9814
Location: Holding them both in my heart.

Postby maberi » February 20th, 2010, 6:15 pm

I'm SOOOO glad to hear Conner came out of surgery ok. He really is one of the sweetest dogs I have met. Connor's symptoms sound just like Kaydens when he had his obstruction. Shaking and wouldn't eat at home and then as soon as I got him into the e-vet he was all excited and I had to try to convince them he really was acting odd at home.


mnp13 wrote:
pitbullmamaliz wrote:Are you going to get to see him?

No. I asked the Dr about it, and she said they are keeping him heavily sedated and it's best if he doesn't get excited. It's really hard for me not to though.


That was my worry too when Kayden had come out of surgery. I wanted so badly to go into see him but decided it was in his better interest to let him just rest. I'm sure he will get a lot of love from the staff there. He is such an out going guy, he will be sure to make a lot of friends there

I can try to find that inflatable e-collar if you need it Michelle. I can't imagine a plastic one will hold up on Connor
Look beyond what your own eyes see
User avatar
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle
 
Posts: 2781
Location: rochester, ny

Postby Jenn » February 20th, 2010, 6:28 pm

:hug3: Hugs to all of you, I'm so glad Conner is ok!
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
User avatar
Jenn
undecided
 
Posts: 11382
Location: TX

Postby mnp13 » February 20th, 2010, 6:30 pm

maberi wrote:I can try to find that inflatable e-collar if you need it Michelle. I can't imagine a plastic one will hold up on Connor

I'd really appreciate that. He went through a number of them when he was neutered.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
User avatar
mnp13
Evil Overlord
 
Posts: 17232
Location: Rochester, NY

Postby iluvk9 » February 20th, 2010, 6:32 pm

Wow. This was quite a rollercoaster ride for you.... I am glad he is recovering and will be okay. What a horrible scare.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!
 
Posts: 14900
Location: New York

Postby katiek0417 » February 20th, 2010, 6:41 pm

maberi wrote:I'm SOOOO glad to hear Conner came out of surgery ok. He really is one of the sweetest dogs I have met. Connor's symptoms sound just like Kaydens when he had his obstruction. Shaking and wouldn't eat at home and then as soon as I got him into the e-vet he was all excited and I had to try to convince them he really was acting odd at home.




Jue wouldn't eat or anything at home...and acted real ouchy when he went to lay down...and we knew that there was something wrong with him b/c when I got him to Chuck's, even though he was muzzled, he didn't throw a fit when Chuck touched him...not even a growl....so, even Chuck knew there was something wrong :rolleyes2:

Michelle, I'm very glad to hear that Connor is going to be okay. Obstructions are scary...and you never know there's a problem until it gets really bad!
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
User avatar
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder
 
Posts: 6280
Location: Glen Burnie, MD

Postby ArtGypsy » February 20th, 2010, 7:03 pm

:shock: :sad2: :o :shock:

Oh Gawd...... :cry:
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
User avatar
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries
 
Posts: 946
Location: Eastern Nebraska

Postby airwalk » February 20th, 2010, 7:07 pm

Very glad to hear Connor came through surgery. BTW I love those blow up e-collars.
User avatar
airwalk
I live here
 
Posts: 3791
Location: Oregon

Postby madremissy » February 20th, 2010, 7:07 pm

I am so glad to come back and see such a good update. I hope Connor heals quickly.
User avatar
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.
 
Posts: 3786
Location: meansville, ga

Postby Pit♥bull » February 20th, 2010, 7:29 pm

mnp13 wrote:but having it end up wrapped up with the rope was the main problem.
I'll bet the odds on that happening are Astronomical. :o


Image
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully
 
Posts: 1207

Postby Ino » February 20th, 2010, 8:33 pm

I am so glad to hear Connor will be ok! :D I am sure that had you freaking out!!! Blockages and bloat are the 2 things I am paranoid about when it comes to Ino because of hearing tragic stories. Eventhough Ino tries to spit things out when he kills his toys- sometimes pieces get stuck on his tongue and go down. Rope toys are the hardest things for him to spit pieces of out. They get soggy and stuck in his teeth cause he is determined to shred them at super speeds- so I have to limit him with them. Once he starts shredding them- I have to take them away cause he would do that all day if I let him and I am sure he would end up in a bad situation. Thank you for sharing your story, Michelle. Ino was starting to make me feel guilty for taking toys away (he's the king of dirty looks) when he starts getting pieces off but now I realize it can get dangerous fast- especially since this years vet visits already have me in the hole and I am not sure how I would afford surgery. How does care credit work? I read about it once but think it said something about certain vets taking certain plans but I cant remember if that was care credit or a pet insurance plan insurance.
User avatar
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully
 
Posts: 268

Postby HappyChick » February 20th, 2010, 8:55 pm

I'm very happy to read that Connor is okay. I worried about him all day. Tell him to stop eating his rope toys!!!
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully
 
Posts: 701

Postby amazincc » February 20th, 2010, 8:58 pm

Ino wrote:I am so glad to hear Connor will be ok! :D I am sure that had you freaking out!!! Blockages and bloat are the 2 things I am paranoid about when it comes to Ino because of hearing tragic stories. Eventhough Ino tries to spit things out when he kills his toys- sometimes pieces get stuck on his tongue and go down. Rope toys are the hardest things for him to spit pieces of out. They get soggy and stuck in his teeth cause he is determined to shred them at super speeds- so I have to limit him with them. Once he starts shredding them- I have to take them away cause he would do that all day if I let him and I am sure he would end up in a bad situation. Thank you for sharing your story, Michelle. Ino was starting to make me feel guilty for taking toys away (he's the king of dirty looks) when he starts getting pieces off but now I realize it can get dangerous fast- especially since this years vet visits already have me in the hole and I am not sure how I would afford surgery. How does care credit work? I read about it once but think it said something about certain vets taking certain plans but I cant remember if that was care credit or a pet insurance plan insurance.


Here's the link to the vet care credit page... it explains the whole thing in detail.
http://www.carecredit.com/vetmed/
User avatar
amazincc
Jessica & Mick
 
Posts: 9814
Location: Holding them both in my heart.

Postby mnp13 » February 20th, 2010, 9:51 pm

Thanks for posting the link Christine!

CareCredit is a great card. For purchases over a certain dollar amount (I think it's $300) you get 6 months to pay interest free. If it's over $1500, you get 12 months. You DO have to pay a minumum or $30 or $40 every months during the "interest free" months, but it gives you some time. However, after that 6/12 month threshold, if you are not payed off, they count all of the interest, and their interest rates are not cheap. But if you can budget those 6 (or 12) months it's a really good program.

It's also important to note that it's per charge, not overall amount. My vet is fantastic, they let me charge in $300 increments and just carry a credit at the office. It doesn't impact them, they get the money either way, and I get time to pay it off.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
User avatar
mnp13
Evil Overlord
 
Posts: 17232
Location: Rochester, NY

Postby CinderDee » February 20th, 2010, 9:54 pm

Gosh, that's frightening. I'm so glad Connor's ok!
Dee
User avatar
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer
 
Posts: 3414
Location: Forever in my heart...

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition & Health

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users