CGC TDI

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby mnp13 » May 4th, 2006, 2:00 pm

There has been some discussion about what the CGC and TDI are, and I did some looking around and made some phone calls to get it straight.

The CGC is a test done by the AKC. It is considered a title and goes after the dog's name.

TDI is a certification, not a title. It has to be renewed yearly and can be taken from your dog. TDI uses the CGC as the beginning of their test, but you do not necessarily have to get a CGC to be certified - meaning you can get TDI certified but never send in your CGC paperwork. You will actually complete the necessary parts of the CGC though so I don't know why you wouldn't do the last step and get the title but who knows. TDI can require you to re-test if they decide that your dog needs it.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Maryellen » May 4th, 2006, 2:50 pm

the only way to get your cgc title at a TDI or other therapy test is if a AKC tester gives the cgc.. they cant combine the therapy test and the cgc to get the cgc title.. that has to be given by an akc evaluator only. now, there are some therapy group testers that are akc evaluators for the cgc as well, and can give the 2 tests at the same location, just one after the other..

the cgc CAN be taken from your dog if the AKC is advised your dog attacked someone after it had the certification. of course, no one knows who has the cgc or not, so the akc doesnt get notified. the cgc can be taken away if right after the cgc test is given and the dog passes, but then attacks a dog or a person the tester can notify the akc to have the certification taken away.
Last edited by Maryellen on May 4th, 2006, 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby mnp13 » May 4th, 2006, 2:51 pm

That's not exactly how they explained it to me, but for all intensive purposes that's it.

The TDI test is the CGC test plus 4 (5?) additional tests.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Maryellen » May 4th, 2006, 2:53 pm

all therapy dog tests include the cgc as part of the test, and in my opinion if the dog is passing all these plus the therapy ones then by adding the rest of the cgc and having the dog do both at the same time is a good way to go.. this way, the dog and handler dont have to pay twice to take a test that is incorporated into therapy testing..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Marinepits » May 4th, 2006, 3:17 pm

Good info. Thanks, guys! :wink:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Patch O' Pits » May 4th, 2006, 5:03 pm

here is a sample therapy test:
http://www.thera-pits.com/modules.php?n ... topic&t=30

Yes, Although it contains many CGC items it is not the CGC test thus you do not get that title.

There are so many different therapy orgs now and each has their own set of rules. Some require a CGC also be passed which is kind of overkill in my opinion and some do not.

The most recognized groups are:
TDI
Bright and beautiful
and
Delta

Some also require you work the dogs to keep the cert.
Too many people get the therapy certs and do nothing with them at all which is a waste of time IMO. Then a CGC or TT would be a better option for those who do not want to actually work their dogs in therapy

If you go on Total Bull I posted TONS of info on this subject already.
http://www.thera-pits.com/modules.php?name=Forums

:)
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby Neimo » May 4th, 2006, 5:06 pm

When we did GCG and TDI they combined it and it worked great. That day 8 or 9 pits got their CGC and almost that many got their TDI. WHAT A GREAT DAY! :)
Neimo
Just Whelped

Postby rockermom » May 5th, 2006, 8:54 am

WHich is why I think I will wait. I was offered to take a therapy class with Rocky. He can not be certified untill 1 yr old. However I think the class would be good for him. Need a break from training classes anyhow. I will prcactice myself for now. He has seen my kids in full motorcycle gear. Does not seem bothered by it. For now he needs to be a puppy!
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby concreterose » May 5th, 2006, 10:51 am

How do you go about being an evaluator?
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby Maryellen » May 5th, 2006, 11:01 am

you go on the http://www.akc.org website for the CGC evaluator and type in CGC, and find the test stuff.. you get an application mailed to you to complete, and if the AKC accepts your written application then they schedule you for an online test to take. the online test is around 4 pages long, with multiple choice answers. you are allowed to take the test twice. if you pass then you are an akc cgc evaluator, pay your fee, and you get your badge and stuff in the mail.. its renewable every few years by taking an online test.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Maryellen » May 5th, 2006, 11:02 am

as far as becoming a therapy dog tester, you have to start out apprenticing for a therapy group, then you work your way up and take a test , if you pass, you are a therapy tester.
Maryellen
I live here

Return to Pit Bull Talk