Cancer and Pit Bulls?

Here is where we can discuss canine cancers and treatment options to create a support system for those dealing with the disease.

Postby theresa_winger » February 18th, 2010, 1:54 pm

Just curious what type of cancers a pitbull seems to get? I've been reading about other differenty types of dogs, but pitbull never pops up.
Theresa and ROXIE
theresa_winger
Just Whelped

Postby Malli » February 18th, 2010, 2:00 pm

I don't believe that they type *usually* goes with the breed; I used to work at a Vet. Hospital and from my personal experience, they got the same cancers as other types of dogs :|
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby plebayo » February 18th, 2010, 4:52 pm

The only breed specific cancer I can really think of is Bone Cancer and it tends to happen in Larger Breed dogs, especially greyhounds. I also know a deerhound breeder who knows a wolfhound breeder that bred her dogs at age 2-3, the female got Bone Cancer at age 5 and when all of the puppies from that litter turned 5 they got it as well.

Again although common in large breeds/greyhounds bone cancer isn't limited to those breeds. I've known a poodle who had it, a shepherd, a chow cross, a labrador, several greyhounds.

I've seen lymphoma in an Australian Shepherd, English Mastiff, Pit Bull, English Setter, Springer Spaniel, Boxer.

I've seen nasal cancer in a cat, my own mutt dog, a Shar Pei, and a toy poodle.

I've seen mast cell tumors in a couple of Boxers and lots of labs.

I don't really think, unless it is in a dog's family tree that you can really pin point specific cancer. Obviously if the dog comes from dogs that have had cancer, it is more likely to get that cancer if it is in the gene pool.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby Suzi » February 18th, 2010, 5:54 pm

Mast Cell it is said to be more common in Bully Breeds... :(
Suzi
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby juniper8204 » February 18th, 2010, 7:19 pm

My first pit bull, Joe, died of lymphoma at a year old. :cry:
Jen
Mommy to Mindy Lou and Moose

Pits are addicting!!! If I foster any more, my husband will have my head!
juniper8204
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » February 18th, 2010, 7:54 pm

Yes, I was going to say Mast Cell and Lymphoma are the most common I have seen so far, but that's not to say pit bulls are safe from other cancers. Osteosarcoma seems to also be a relatively common one.

Certain breeds are more prone to certain cancers, but not all follow those correlations between breed and cancer. For instance, Briards and Goldens very commonly get hemangiosarcoma-- but other breeds do get the disease, and it is not the only disease those specific breeds are susceptible to. Did that make sense?

I just heard recently that many Italian Greyhounds get dermal hemangiosarcoma-- although HSA is commonly recognized better amongst larger breed dogs.
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby Brownies Mom » February 19th, 2010, 11:59 pm

Here is a link to some of that info, from the Morris Animal Foundation website:

http://www.curecaninecancer.org/why_help.html
Marianne
- A-Jay (APBT)
- Remy (English Setter mix)
Brownies Mom
Just Whelped

Return to Canine Cancer