Sad Story--Looking for Home/English Setter??

Postby ArtGypsy » February 16th, 2010, 9:53 am

Some of you know this story from Facebook---

Last week, Gerry was driving down highway 34 and saw a black dog laying on the side of the road, curled up, but looking around...2 other dogs were trotting around the black one. She stopped the car---she immediately saw that the black one was really hurt. Not wanting the others to get hit , she tried to get them in the car.
They'd have nothing to do with that!
No way. They darted, ran, and went back to their friend. So Gerry decided she needed to get black lab to to the vet quickly. She gently scooped up black lab and as she was placing him in the back of her Izuzu, the other two JUMPED into the car with their friend. They were not LEAVING him.

The police pulled up , responding to the call of an injured dog and told G. that there had been calls all week of these 3 dogs roaming the country, but they could never find them . Asking around neighborss/farmers didn't provide any insight as to where they belonged.

Gerry drove to vet in Seward and Told the Vet that we would cover the cost of his care, but to please just do something.... :(
He thumped his tail and was so friendly, even with all the pain.
This old country vet ((in a run down, foul smelling office)) agreed to let us board the other two for a day or so.

He called G. later and said he had no choice but to put the lab down...he had massive internal injuries and all 3 legs were broken. :sad2: :(

Both these dogs are horribly emaciated. Starved.
The next day we went to visit the other two.....Such Loyalty/bonding to each other! Standing side by side, the brown male resting his chin on top of the female's head. When I reached in to pet them the little girl's collar was SO tight......I popped the quick release and let it fall to the floor.

Long story short I had to act fast to find them rescue placement, because old time vet had the kennels booked for other customers. I was able to call York county Adopt a Pet *we had gotten dogs from them before, years ago)) and Gail was able to do some talking and pulled some strings, and was able to get York Vet (our vet) to house them in emergency placement. Gerry had to leave work and get them there by 5. The little blonde female slept the 40 miles with her head in Gerry's lap.

She has gone to visit them-----we found out yesterday the brown *german shorthair* has advanced heartworm. :(
Vet doesn't think he could be cured even IF he could survive the treatment.

Gerry is heartbroken and consumed w/ worry about this little girl being kenneled at the vet all alone now---------(after tomorrow, when the vet Euths him. Gerry has insisted on being there with him, so he can feel the love as he passes)...**Now I'm crying**

I did some research on English SEtters (if she's purebred), and MAN ..they are high energy field dogs....NEED TONS of work every single day.

Even if we didn't have Dar, I don't think I could have the energy.........I'm already worn out.

Looking at some breed specific rescues online this morning............briefly.
I'm not even a hundred percent sure she's an English Setter.

for those of you who have FB, go look at my page.

For those of you who don't I'll be posting some pics here, once I play w/ dar.
he's 'full of beans' and I can't have him waking Kelcie...
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby ArtGypsy » February 16th, 2010, 10:05 am

Such a Terrible Waste...............

Anyway............The Little White/Speckled Girl??
Any Ideas???????
ArtGypsy

Postby TheRedQueen » February 16th, 2010, 10:12 am

Nope, not an English setter...she's short-haired...ES don't come in a short-haired version. She looks to be some sort of pointer or even a hound of some type...both types of dogs can have ticking like she's showing. Definitely a gun dog. How short is her tail?

No one is missing these dogs? They don't look emaciated in the pics (to me...they look like hard-working gun dogs that have been loose a while).

My vote is lemon-ticked Pointer:

http://www.akc.org/breeds/pointer/index.cfm

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/pointer.htm

http://ibrparker.blogspot.com/

Pointer rescue link:
http://www.pointerrescue.org/main.html
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby ArtGypsy » February 16th, 2010, 11:42 am

Angie found a rescue in the Lincoln/Omaha area!!!

I've emailed pics back (via their request) and have sent another email w/ cell number.

If they will only take the girl, I am willing to foster her til they can take her. If they do indeed have to euth the boy, we can't bear her in that kennel all alone, with both her comrades gone.... :sad2:
ArtGypsy

Postby CinderDee » February 16th, 2010, 11:49 am

What a sad story. :( They are both beautiful dogs. The female looks exactly like the links Erin posted, especially Sophie.

Thanks to Gerry for saving them. Please tell her she and the male pup will be in my thoughts tomorrow.
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby HappyChick » February 16th, 2010, 4:07 pm

I left messages with the GSP rescue in Lincoln too, The Illinois Birddog Rescue, and Illinois Shorthair Rescue. Seeing that chocolate boy (he reminds me of WeeWee) and reading their story made me want to try to help. They are so loyal to each other! All fingers and paws crossed!
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby dlynne1123 » February 16th, 2010, 4:11 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:Nope, not an English setter...she's short-haired...ES don't come in a short-haired version. She looks to be some sort of pointer or even a hound of some type...both types of dogs can have ticking like she's showing. Definitely a gun dog. How short is her tail?

No one is missing these dogs? They don't look emaciated in the pics (to me...they look like hard-working gun dogs that have been loose a while).

My vote is lemon-ticked Pointer:

http://www.akc.org/breeds/pointer/index.cfm

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/pointer.htm

http://ibrparker.blogspot.com/

Pointer rescue link:
http://www.pointerrescue.org/main.html

Definately and English Pointer. Let me check with my bro, who has a setter, and see if he knows someone who rescues hunting dogs. His came from there and he hikes, camps, goes to campus and takes her everywhere. Very high energy!
Ryder - Rescue APBT
Panser on a Roll - APBT (American Bully?)
Gretchen - the red headed cat that thinks shes a dog
Prudence - the new cat on the block to put the dogs in their place!
Punchlines Better Than Lojac - APBT (RIP)
dlynne1123
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby ArtGypsy » February 16th, 2010, 9:45 pm

Yeah..............sigh.

I went to see them again today. :(

It's hard to walk away....and walk away, knowing she will be alone, very soon.... :cry2:
ArtGypsy

Postby HappyChick » February 17th, 2010, 4:21 pm

Lisa from Il Birddog Rescue called me and is on the CASE!!!

Grace - call me if you can asap, Jake does not have to die if it's not too late! I left my phone number in a FB message to you. Sorry I lost yours again. :rolleyes2:
Angie & crew

HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby amazincc » February 17th, 2010, 4:32 pm

WOOT, Angie!!!! :D :hug3:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby iluvk9 » February 17th, 2010, 4:35 pm

This thread is like a roller coaster! WAY TO GO, ANGIE! :dance:

And you already know you will be going to Heaven, Jody. :hug3:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby HappyChick » February 17th, 2010, 7:43 pm

Jake as we call the boy, now has a stay of execution. Lisa and a few others do not believe he is incurable by any means. I found Jody's (Grace) number and talked with her this afternoon about what Lisa told me when she called. They are working diligently on finding a place for the two dogs. Everyone is getting the story that Grace wrote above and pictures of the two. I have been cc'd on at least 5 emails that went out from Lisa to various rescues, including one to the national GSP rescue!

Here is the latest email from Lisa to me and the other rescue folks:

"There is always the slow kill method (of curing the heartworm) and this dog most likely has a tick borne illness coinfection. If the treatment is slow--pretreat with doxycycline and heartgard and do one immiticide injection followed by a double a month later-- he should be fine.

IBR always does a CBC/Chem, tick panel, fecal and then we start the process of building the dog up for the treatment in a few months.

Any chance the GSP rescues can campaign to help out?

Sondra--can you get them up on IBR Facebook and Indy PF ASAP?"

I like that ASAP part.

If you all are sending good thoughts, keep 'em coming!
Angie & crew

HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby ArtGypsy » February 17th, 2010, 10:10 pm

ANGIE:

:bowDown: :bowDown: :bowDown:

What a Day!!

As Angie knows, I was able to stop Gerry only MILES from the vet's office, to go be with the pretty boy as he was euthed!!
JUST A FEW MORE minutes, and it would have been too late!!!!!

Gerry told the staff about the 'stay'......They let her take the dogs outside to the penned area,where the boy doggie ((Jake)) had A MASSIVE CASE OF THE ZOOMIES....... :mrgreen:

He was Thrilled beyond thrilled, to be running around....(keeping a keen eye on the fence and the pile of compost Gerry JUST KNEW he was sizing up as a Spring Board to Freedom!! :neener:

Little Girl was zipping around as well, but she kept coming to Gerry for love/affection.

THANK YOU ANGIE........THANK YOU THANK YOU....

The lincoln Rescue called the vet today (before Gerry arrived) and told them they'd be taking the little girl but not the boy, ON Saturday.

This story just keeps getting better........... :dance:
ArtGypsy

Postby amazincc » February 17th, 2010, 10:24 pm

So... will they be able to stay together now???
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby ArtGypsy » February 17th, 2010, 10:44 pm

amazincc wrote:So... will they be able to stay together now???

Hope So!!
**Gerry JUST asked me the same question**

Come to find out (moments ago),t hat the Lisa Angie is working with, is working with the same rescue that was coming Saturday to get the little girl!

Gerry just cried....she has been absolutely despondent over these dogs....I'm so glad we could make a difference in their lives!!!.. :mrgreen:

We paid the boarding fees up til Saturday, so they're 'safe' to stay where they are.....
ArtGypsy

Postby amazincc » February 17th, 2010, 10:47 pm

Awesome!!! :D

If you guys need any help what-so-ever to keep those two together, PM me. :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby madremissy » February 17th, 2010, 11:15 pm

Angie, Jody and Gerry :hug3:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby CinderDee » February 18th, 2010, 12:21 am

madremissy wrote:Angie, Jody and Gerry :hug3:

Ditto!

I was hoping he would be saved.
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby HappyChick » February 18th, 2010, 12:23 am

Can I cry tears of joy yet??? I think I'll wait till Jake is safe and sound too....

The timing of this all was too perfect. I had contacted Lisa yesterday, but thought I wasn't going to hear anything and then my cell phone rang in the middle of my hectic work day...at the time I talked to Lisa, I figured Jake was already gone. But on the off hope that he wasnt, I started looking for Jody's number. I almost went into a panic cause I couldn't find that damn number that she had given me twice! I did find it though thank the gods! When things go down in this manner, you know it HAS to be divine intervention!

Yep, Lisa is great! The dogs are listed as needing emergency rescue. The two are also listed together as buddies. You know, I thought about the fact that they might not go to the same home together. I look at it like this...they will be safe, they will be healthy, they will be loved, and they will be just fine. Hopefully, whereever they end up they will get to run and hunt and do what comes naturally to bird dogs. They are getting a second chance at a great life. How exciting is that?

"And the other day Gerry was just minding her own business, driving along highway 34. Little did she know that her life was about to take an amazing turn that would bring about divine changes in lives of two dogs........"
Angie & crew

HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby ArtGypsy » February 18th, 2010, 9:43 am

THEY FOUND FOSTER HOMES FOR BOTH!!!!! :dance: :dance: :dance: :neener: :neener: :neener: :confetti: :confetti:

I just emailed the gal to ask /when/and where....

The girl is a "lemon English Pointer"...

:+)
ArtGypsy

Next

Return to Rescue