Retained baby teeth?

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby TheRedQueen » February 14th, 2010, 5:41 pm

Any ideas on how to get baby teeth to loosen a bit? Fig has double canines on top...(kinda cute...little shark teeth)...but I would like them to come out like they're supposed to do! They're not loose at all...and the adult teeth are fully in now.

Everyone's recommended giving him things to chew on...to help shake them loose. ;)
He already gets a lot of things to chew, and he's got more now...and nothing is helping. He'll be going in for his neuter in a month or so...but I'd rather not have to get his teeth pulled too. :rolleyes2:

Any ideas, suggestions, advice? :|
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby BullyLady » February 14th, 2010, 5:48 pm

It's not unusual for small breed dogs to retain baby teeth, the answer is usually just to have them pulled under anesthesia. It's my understanding that the tooth just won't ever loosen, but it will die and get all discolored and stuff. :puke: If he's going under for a neuter anyways you might as well just have them pulled then. :|
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby Marinepits » February 14th, 2010, 6:37 pm

BullyLady wrote: It's my understanding that the tooth just won't ever loosen, but it will die and get all discolored and stuff.

Agreed. Indy had one baby canine that never fell out and his was pulled when he was neutered.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby TheRedQueen » February 14th, 2010, 7:27 pm

Alrighty... :nono: this is what I was afraid of... :rolleyes2: :wink:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby katiek0417 » February 14th, 2010, 7:51 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:Alrighty... :nono: this is what I was afraid of... :rolleyes2: :wink:

Both of Axo's lower canines almost fully came in before his puppy's came out. Both vets told me that they would go ahead and pull them b/c they can end up being more trouble than they're worth. His adult canines weren't fully in, and they still told me to pull the baby ones...

I ended up taking him in, and even though his upper adult canines hadn't even started to come in, they went ahead and pulled the 2 baby ones on the bottom and the 2 baby ones on top (so I wouldn't have to worry about it if they didn't come out on their own)...

It was a light sedation, and all 4 canines out were out within 2-3 minutes...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby blabsforbullies » February 14th, 2010, 8:51 pm

Unfortunately, nothing will help make them loose. Having said that, it really will be a quick and, relatively speaking, painless procedure if you have it done when he's neutered. ;)

As mentioned, it's VERY common with the little guys. :(
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby TheRedQueen » February 14th, 2010, 9:59 pm

So they'll be relatively quick n' easy to come out? I remember helping with dentals when I was a vet asst. and seeing them work teeeth out was sooooo awful! *shudder* I'm guessing since they're baby teeth that the roots aren't so deep? :?

TheRedQueen

Postby katiek0417 » February 14th, 2010, 10:05 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:So they'll be relatively quick n' easy to come out? I remember helping with dentals when I was a vet asst. and seeing them work teeeth out was sooooo awful! *shudder* I'm guessing since they're baby teeth that the roots aren't so deep? :?

I am by no means a vet...but I will tell you that Axo's were out before I even walked out of the building...

There were no limitations on eating a raw diet, or chewing on bones...he wasn't, however, allowed to do bitework for a week (which you wouldn't have to worry about)...and there was no blood or anything...

And I think you're right, because they're baby teeth, the roots aren't as deep...pulling an adult canine is much more involved, as I understand...

In fact, I think they just gave Axo Dormitor when they did his...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby TheRedQueen » February 14th, 2010, 10:08 pm

Thanks Katrina!

I saw so many teeth pulled, loose teeth on adults that took a looong time to actually pull out...so it just worried me that he'd be out for a long time! He's so little! :)

TheRedQueen

Postby Malli » February 14th, 2010, 10:30 pm

I believe adults are more difficult because 1) the have big roots and 2) usually the tooth being removed is diseased and it is ideal to take it out in one piece (diseased teeth break REALLY easily), so takes longer and is harder to remove....
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby katiek0417 » February 14th, 2010, 11:02 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:Thanks Katrina!

I saw so many teeth pulled, loose teeth on adults that took a looong time to actually pull out...so it just worried me that he'd be out for a long time! He's so little! :)

Understandable! :hug3:

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby plebayo » February 15th, 2010, 12:51 am

TheRedQueen wrote:Thanks Katrina!

You could always shop around for a veterinarian who can do the job quickly. I work in a three doctor practice and the boys are all super speedy with pulling teeth. The female vet however takes FOREVER because she's a weenie and we have to take x-rays and she's super slow drilling and on and on... The boys rarely every take dental rads. Odds are the tooth will come out pretty easily with no issues since it really isn't supposed to still be there anyway. As it was said as well the roots aren't as deep as that of an adult dog either.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby amazincc » February 15th, 2010, 3:22 am

Faust had to have some baby teeth pulled... I didn't even know until I went to pick him up after his neuter, and my vet did it as a courtesy - no charge. :)

Good thoughts going out to Fig! :hug3:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby blabsforbullies » February 15th, 2010, 11:54 am

Yes, the roots are far less deep and with an experienced person, shouldn't take long at all. :wink:
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby TheRedQueen » February 15th, 2010, 11:59 am

Thanks everyone...I feel MUCH better about this now! :dance:

TheRedQueen

Postby carrieinindy » February 17th, 2010, 5:52 pm

Deciduous teeth are fairly common especially in the little guys. Quick and easy to remove under general anesthesia or a domitor cocktail....good idea to remove at the time of a neuter...If not removed, they can affect the adult canine roots and certainly can lead to tartar accumulation.

Adult teeth can sometimes be much more difficult to remove-certainly the big premolar in the back is a tough one and commonly gets fractured secondary to chewing-extraction or a root canal is recommended. Pain meds after extraction as well as an antibiotic is also recommended (you would get pain meds anyway after an elective procedure-neuter). Dental x-rays (although sometimes a pain) is becoming the standard of care and boarded veterinary dentists wouldn't even think of performing an extraction with pre and post rads to ensure the roots are completely out.

HTH! :)
~removing the baby teeth will be so much less painful then the neuter
~p.s. I really need to figure out the smilies
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated”
~Mahatma Gandhi
carrieinindy
Just Whelped

Return to Nutrition & Health