When is it time to let go?

Postby lokisdad » February 14th, 2010, 10:34 pm

Hi, does anyone have any helpful links as to when is it time to let go of my dear friend. He is 15 now, having a hard time walking, cant hold his poops anymore..... :cry:

tia
lokisdad
Just Whelped

Postby Malli » February 14th, 2010, 10:55 pm

Its kind of a personal decision.

From my thinking, its about Quality of Life; when they are no longer getting enjoyment out of their days.

When they don't enjoy walks, meals, basking in the sun etc... then, it's time. Or, when they don't enjoy them enough.

Those are my thoughts. :neutral:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby amazincc » February 15th, 2010, 3:09 am

You might find this link helpful - http://www.specialneedspets.org/euthanasia.htm

:hug3:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Pit♥bull » February 15th, 2010, 6:44 am

Russ,
I'm so sorry to hear Loki isn't doing well :(
I'm sure you will know when to make the decision to send Loki to be with Thor.
Keep in touch old friend and give Loki a big hug from us.

Bob, Shanna, Trouble and (Angie's) Duke.
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby hugapitbull » February 15th, 2010, 7:11 am

Russ, you are in my thoughts as you struggle with this decision. It isn't an easy one, but you will make it with love and it will be the right time.

This one is about home euthanasia it may be something to think about.

http://tripawds.com/forums/coping-with-loss/how-to-decide-about-at-home-euthanasia/?value=deciding%20to%20euthanize&type=1&include=1&search=2&ret=all

This one has several imbedded links by Admin about 1/2 way down the first page. I think you will find them helpful.

http://tripawds.com/forums/treatment-and-recovery/is-max-in-the-final-stages/?value=deciding%20to%20euthanize&type=1&include=1&search=2&ret=all

Sending you lots of good thoughts, I know it is the decision we all dread.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby iluvk9 » February 15th, 2010, 8:03 am

I am so sorry for the point you are at. :( I too, believe in quality of life.

The hardest part for me has always been remembering to not let them stay on Earth, for the selfish reason that I love them and will miss them.

I know my dogs have put their trust in me to care for them, and I know in my heart, when it is time for me to let them go so they aren't struggling.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby madremissy » February 15th, 2010, 8:05 am

:hug3:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby CinderDee » February 15th, 2010, 8:22 am

I just went through this and I really struggled with the decision. I felt that as long as he was still enjoying his chewies and wasn't in pain I wasn't going to end his life. In the end his body let me know what to do and for that I'm very grateful.

I agree very much with what Shanna said."It isn't an easy one, but you will make it with love and it will be the right time."

We are all here for you if you need a shoulder. :hug3:
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby Patch O' Pits » February 18th, 2010, 10:10 pm

Hugs and prayers...
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby Ino » February 19th, 2010, 7:20 pm

Sending good thoughts for you and your boy.
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Brownies Mom » February 20th, 2010, 12:15 am

Same as what everyone said above. I'm really sorry you're going through this, it is such a sad time and such a hard decision. I'm sure you will do whatever is best for Loki, if necessary.

I can tell you what happened with me and Brownie...Brownie had cancer and ended up with a tumor in his spleen that made him sick. He would go out the door, then just stand there, or lay down. He also quit eating. When the vet told me about the tumor, she said it could burst and be very painful for him, so that is what I based my decision on. I didn't want him to go through something like that, especially when I was away at work or something. Anyhow, I made the decision, and I had my sister come over, for support. She knew Brownie very, very well, and one thing she said was that she noticed he was "checking in and out" if you know what I mean. It was like he went into a place to zone out from the pain/illness/feeling bad, then he would begin to move around a bit and interact with us. He always stayed physically with/near us, but his mind was sometimes busy coping. It's a subtle thing. I guess it's one aspect of "quality of life?" Not sure if this is helpful, but sometimes hearing other people's experiences helps, so I wanted to share.

Keep us posted on how Loki is doing.
Marianne
- A-Jay (APBT)
- Remy (English Setter mix)
Brownies Mom
Just Whelped

Return to Our Departed Friends