A Temporary Rehome...Input?

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby maberi » February 10th, 2010, 9:55 am

At 8 months old I'm sure Gator will transition over just fine after a short while if you do decide to have him stay with your Dad for a while. My bigger concern would be the other cats and/or dogs. My crew lives with a cat now, but if they see a cat they don't know, they wouldn't be so accepting of it. I think the fact that you are going to spend a few days there helping your Dad and Gator will help a great deal and during that time I would try to help Gator get into his new daily routine (whatever that might be).

I like many others can't imagine sending one of my dogs off for some time for any reason other than an illness where I couldn't care for them, but that is really neither here nor there. I wish you and Gator good luck with whatever you decide.
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby mnp13 » February 10th, 2010, 1:24 pm

furever_pit wrote:Just because I am curious, what others posts are you talking about?

furever_pit wrote:I have a roommate and plans to move in August. Between the two of us we can rent a house that allows 3 dogs. That was always the plan to begin with.

So you can only have two dogs right now, but three in a few months... putting Gator elsewhere will "free up" the space for another dog which would seem to be more appealing than dealing with whatever challenges he is currently presenting.

And in another thread was a comment about wanting to get a puppy from another breeder.

And I am not getting rid of Gator. He needs to go somewhere where he can get some life experience for a bit. He may or may not get over what I am currently contributing to "puppy brain". This is why I will be doing intermittent evaluations. When he is ready, he is coming back to work.

And if he doesn't?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby furever_pit » February 10th, 2010, 1:36 pm

mnp13 wrote:
furever_pit wrote:Just because I am curious, what others posts are you talking about?

furever_pit wrote:I have a roommate and plans to move in August. Between the two of us we can rent a house that allows 3 dogs. That was always the plan to begin with.

So you can only have two dogs right now, but three in a few months... putting Gator elsewhere will "free up" the space for another dog which would seem to be more appealing than dealing with whatever challenges he is currently presenting.

And in another thread was a comment about wanting to get a puppy from another breeder.

And I am not getting rid of Gator. He needs to go somewhere where he can get some life experience for a bit. He may or may not get over what I am currently contributing to "puppy brain". This is why I will be doing intermittent evaluations. When he is ready, he is coming back to work.

And if he doesn't?

By other posts, I thought you meant actual other posts not those in this thread. And yes, I have talked to several breeders who are working with bloodlines I am interested in. Every single one of those breeders also knows that I am not looking to get a puppy for a few years. I have in no way, shape, or form gone to look for a puppy to purchase. There are a lot of dogs that I would like to have sometime in this lifetime...for example, for me to talk about wanting a Rottie, does not mean I want one now or even in the next 10 years. I would just like one sometime. So forgive me, for watching litters and getting in touch with the breeders/kennels that are producing dogs that I like. I'm doing my research, plain and simple.

If Gator doesn't develop the way I am hoping he will then I will take him as far as he has the potential to go and then he will be retired. At which point he will either stay with me as a pet or I will give him to a pet home.

And with all due respect, you have no idea what is going on with Gator at this point. There are a few members here who I have confided in over the last several months about this dog. I have been in constant communication with his breeder. Just because I don't want to post all the details on a public forum does not mean that my concerns are baseless.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby Pit♥bull » February 10th, 2010, 1:40 pm

Spilling just half the beans doesn't work well here :rolleyes2:
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby furever_pit » February 10th, 2010, 2:07 pm

I clearly won't be getting any advice on the rehoming process here. Which is fine, next time I won't make a post.

I understand that people have difficulty understanding how I could get rid of a dog. Two years ago, I would have had the same reaction. But the fact is that working dogs are bought, sold, and rehomed all the time. IMO this should not bother a dog with a stable temperament.

Spilling just half the beans doesn't work well here

Which is fine, y'all can try and demand that people give you every last detail about their dogs as much as you want. But the fact remains that I keep information on my dogs close to my chest and see no reason to post all of my concerns on a public forum. Had any one of you tried to contact me privately and politely you would have received the whole story. That ship has sailed tho.

I'm going to reiterate that this is just a consideration, not a plan. Y'all are awfully quick to bully people around here.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby furever_pit » February 10th, 2010, 2:22 pm

Just got a phone call and figured I'd go ahead and let you all know....

One of my Dad's dogs had a seizure this morning and is at the vet. I already told my Dad that I think he needs to focus on Bailey and his health (he is a 14 year old Cocker so I'm thinking that he probably doesn't have much time left). As a result, Gator will not be going to the farm.

See, I'm not actually evil demon spawn. lol
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby Jenn » February 10th, 2010, 2:25 pm

:( I'm sorry about Bailey, and hope everything is ok.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby TheRedQueen » February 10th, 2010, 2:26 pm

Good thoughts headed Bailey's way...:hug3:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby furever_pit » February 10th, 2010, 2:29 pm

Thanks.
Maybe I will post some pics of Bailey later.
He's actually pretty cute for such an old man. haha.
But NEUROTIC.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby mnp13 » February 10th, 2010, 2:38 pm

furever_pit wrote:I clearly won't be getting any advice on the rehoming process here. Which is fine, next time I won't make a post.

You asked for input, you got input. You didn't like what direction those opinions came from, but that's not our fault.

I understand that people have difficulty understanding how I could get rid of a dog. Two years ago, I would have had the same reaction. But the fact is that working dogs are bought, sold, and rehomed all the time. IMO this should not bother a dog with a stable temperament.

No, but the idea of it bothers a lot of dog owners, and that's the response you got.

Which is fine, y'all can try and demand that people give you every last detail about their dogs as much as you want. But the fact remains that I keep information on my dogs close to my chest and see no reason to post all of my concerns on a public forum. Had any one of you tried to contact me privately and politely you would have received the whole story. That ship has sailed tho.

Demand nothing. You started the thread and specifically stated that you weren't telling us everything. You told half of the story, but wanted input and a number of us said that half a story makes it rather difficult to give input.

I'm going to reiterate that this is just a consideration, not a plan. Y'all are awfully quick to bully people around here.

Oh yes, plenty of bullying... direct questions about something you are being evasive about. sorry :rolleyes2: I don't like to jump on bandwagons :|

If you don't want to discuss something, don't bring it up. It's pretty simple. From your own wording, I inferred that you were going to get another dog and maybe get Gator back. That is a correct inference or it is not, only you can answer that question.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby mnp13 » February 10th, 2010, 2:39 pm

One of my Dad's dogs had a seizure this morning and is at the vet. I already told my Dad that I think he needs to focus on Bailey and his health (he is a 14 year old Cocker so I'm thinking that he probably doesn't have much time left). As a result, Gator will not be going to the farm.

I hope he gets better and they can find the source of the problem.

See, I'm not actually evil demon spawn. lol

Yeah, because that's what all of us were saying :rolleyes2:
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby TheRedQueen » February 10th, 2010, 2:48 pm

My thoughts are based on what sports I do with my dogs. I play flyball mainly...it's my sport of choice. From day one of getting any of my dogs, they start learning the basics, the groundwork for flyball. At least once a week we train with the rest of the club. My dogs also all go along to tournaments, so they experience the environment there, and train on the sidelines (being able to behave and concentrate, as well as tugging, etc). So coming from me...it's hard to imagine handing my puppy/off and getting what I want in return. :| It'd be one thing to hand my dog off to another flyball person (but not just any flyball person)...but even that I'd have to think long and hard about. General socialization and training is different that socializing and training specifically for something. That's one reason I have to keep my puppy raisers in line with weekly classes for the Assistance Dogs...lol
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby LMM » February 10th, 2010, 2:51 pm

I hope Bailey is okay! :(
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby furever_pit » February 10th, 2010, 2:51 pm

mnp13 wrote:
furever_pit wrote:See, I'm not actually evil demon spawn. lol

Yeah, because that's what all of us were saying :rolleyes2:

Dude, I was JOKING.
Funny, haha.

As I stated earlier in the thread I knew I was going to take some heat. I don't actually care about that, I'm plenty able to deal with constructive criticism and am not known for getting butt-hurt over, well just about anything. I was simply saying that I understand the viewpoint that some members were expressing.

I was asking for information on the rehome process, not whether or not y'all agreed with it. I see it as two separate issues, which y'all do not. And that is okay, we are just different. I would hope that I would be able to give someone some training advice or whatever whether or not I agreed with the decision they were making for the dog. The advice, regardless of whether or not the rehome is agreed with, would benefit the dog.

I don't actually care. I'm not upset by the things said to me here and I do understand where y'all are coming from. I simply won't make a post like this again because it is obviously upsetting to the members here. I will respect that from here on out.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby mnp13 » February 10th, 2010, 3:12 pm

furever_pit wrote:I was asking for information on the rehome process, not whether or not y'all agreed with it. I see it as two separate issues, which y'all do not. And that is okay, we are just different. I would hope that I would be able to give someone some training advice or whatever whether or not I agreed with the decision they were making for the dog. The advice, regardless of whether or not the rehome is agreed with, would benefit the dog.

I didn't read the post that way - it seemed a lot more along the lines of looking for approval. :|

There are a few posts in the rescue section about how to find new homes for dogs. They are more geared towards placing rescues, but in essence it's the same thing.

I don't actually care. I'm not upset by the things said to me here and I do understand where y'all are coming from. I simply won't make a post like this again because it is obviously upsetting to the members here. I will respect that from here on out.

You seem rather upset about people not jumping on board with the idea. Perhaps that's not the intention, but that's the way I read it from over here. The members here generally don't really mind being "upset" but we also generally don't hesitate to tell you about it.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby furever_pit » February 10th, 2010, 3:23 pm

I am not always very good at expressing myself through type.
Misunderstandings can be common when we don't actually know one another and you can only interpret tone.

Regardless, the thread is pretty much a moot point now. The decision has been made that Gator will stay here.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby mnp13 » February 10th, 2010, 4:12 pm

furever_pit wrote:I am not always very good at expressing myself through type.
Misunderstandings can be common when we don't actually know one another and you can only interpret tone.

Very true - and one of the most difficult parts of "forum life"

I truly don't think anyone was attacking you in the thread - myself included - just looking for further clarifications and reasons for what was going on.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby furever_pit » February 10th, 2010, 4:51 pm

I may share more information at a later date.
I am currently bound by respect and don't feel it is my place to publicly discuss some things.
I'm really not trying to "hide" anything.

I know that is vague and doesn't clear anything up, but it is how I feel.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby HappyPuppy » February 10th, 2010, 6:55 pm

Drama..Drama. Don't post about posting - either post or get off the pot! All the mystery is not mysterious, it's annoying. Talk dogs when you are ready!
Ruby Underfoot, CGC
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby amazincc » February 11th, 2010, 9:30 am

Good thoughts going out to Bailey... :sad2:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Previous

Return to Pit Bull Talk