A Temporary Rehome...Input?

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby furever_pit » February 9th, 2010, 4:54 pm

I am currently considering placing Gator (my 8 month old AB pup) with my father temporarily. This may be for anywhere from 6 months to a year or so. This rehome will put Gator on the family farm (35 acres) and will also allow him to go to work with my Dad on a daily basis. I think this will be a good thing for Gator as he will get more exposure and socialization. The idea is that I will come back to re-evaluate Gator periodically and will more than likely take him back once he has matured mentally and is more suited for the work that I am asking of my dogs.

At the farm, Gator will be living with 2 other dogs and 3 cats. The cats won't be a problem since he lives with 2 now and is pretty good with them. I have gone over the need for Gator to be separated when eating and that he needs to be crated when he is not supervised. Gator has not displayed any aggression toward other dogs at this point but if it turns into a situation where he needs to be crated/rotated from the other dogs then I will go get him back. If any major behavioral issues arise or my Dad is not comfortable keeping Gator, then I will go get him.

I will be giving my Dad this forum site, we will see if he makes any posts or not but he will do research as needed. I will also be giving him the contact information for the breeder and obviously I am just a call away if he has any questions at all.

Is there anything I am missing? What can I do or show my Dad to do to help with Gator's acclimation to the new house? My plan is to take a week off of work, drive Gator up to the farm and stay there for 3-4 days to help everyone get settled in and to do a couple training sessions with my Dad and Gator.

I really think this is a win-win situation for both me and Gator but I am gonna miss my little guy. I've never rehomed a dog before and will probably cry like a baby.

Sorry for the rant or tangents or whatever, I just want to make sure that I do everything I can to prepare my Dad and Gator to be together.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » February 9th, 2010, 5:23 pm

Can I ask why? You seemed like you were having a lot of fun training him. And I'm not judging - just being nosy.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby furever_pit » February 9th, 2010, 5:33 pm

I do have fun training Gator. I don't have anything against Gator, that is not what this is about.
I will spill the beans later, I am a little nervous to jinx myself at the moment...but an opportunity has arisen that requires me to either move or have one less dog for a little bit.

ETA: I also honestly think this will benefit Gator. I would never do this if I thought he would be negatively affected by it.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » February 9th, 2010, 7:11 pm

What's going to happen if you get this other dog and then Gator needs crated/rotated? I know you said you'd go get him, but then you'd have too many dogs and you're back at square one.

And I have trouble with rehoming a puppy because he isn't what you thought he would be and you want another dog instead. Sorry to be negative, but that's just me.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

pitbullmamaliz

Postby BullyLady » February 9th, 2010, 7:31 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:What's going to happen if you get this other dog and then Gator needs crated/rotated? I know you said you'd go get him, but then you'd have too many dogs and you're back at square one.

And I have trouble with rehoming a puppy because he isn't what you thought he would be and you want another dog instead. Sorry to be negative, but that's just me.

The only thing I have to say is, remember that Gator was bought as a working dog.
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby LMM » February 9th, 2010, 7:34 pm

I'm a little confused but I think it's because of your fear of being jinxed and we aren't getting the full picture.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby furever_pit » February 9th, 2010, 7:37 pm

I have a roommate and plans to move in August. Between the two of us we can rent a house that allows 3 dogs. That was always the plan to begin with.

And if Gator needs to come back before then I have 3 backup plans. :wink:

And I am not getting rid of Gator. He needs to go somewhere where he can get some life experience for a bit. He may or may not get over what I am currently contributing to "puppy brain". This is why I will be doing intermittent evaluations. When he is ready, he is coming back to work.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby Marinepits » February 9th, 2010, 7:48 pm

Sounds like you've really thought this through. I wish you all the best of luck! :)
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby pitbullmamaliz » February 9th, 2010, 7:56 pm

I shall agree to disagree. Coming from a "pet dog" owner as opposed to a "working dog" owner, if my dog needs more socialization and life experience, it's up to me to provide it, not put him with somebody else while I get the dog I really want to work with. Dealing with "puppy brain" is part of getting a puppy.

But I do (in all sincerity) hope it works out and is what Gator needs. I hope your dad joins up and posts pics.

pitbullmamaliz

Postby mnp13 » February 9th, 2010, 8:02 pm

Without full story, I can't really comment. Sorry.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby furever_pit » February 9th, 2010, 9:15 pm

mnp13 wrote:Without full story, I can't really comment. Sorry.

To be honest, I'm not real sure what the reasons behind the rehome have to do with advice on the rehome itself. :| :dontknow:

I think we should also keep this in perspective. It is not like I am dropping the dog off at the shelter. He is going to an experienced dog home where he will receive regular vet care and he won't be bred, fought, or abused. Tragic eh?
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby madremissy » February 9th, 2010, 9:18 pm

I have no doubt that you are looking out for the best interest of Gator. It was the hardest thing I ever did to rehome Gotty but he is living the high life right now and I am pleased with my decision.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby furever_pit » February 9th, 2010, 9:27 pm

Marinepits and madremissy, thank you. Your trust/support really means a lot to me.
You too BL. :wink:

I knew that I would take some heat for even considering this but those who know me and see me training day-in and day-out know that I would never do anything to hurt my dogs.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby plebayo » February 9th, 2010, 11:27 pm

I don't really see anything wrong with it. You aren't really "rehoming" the dog. I'm not even sure why you're asking this question. :| If the circumstances are what they are, whether we tell you you can or can't you have to do what is right for Gator and for your situation.

The only thing that can be griped about is that you should have thought about this before you got a puppy if you knew your living situation wasn't a permanent one in which you could have both dogs.

But even then it isn't like your selling him off somewhere or renting him out haha.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby furever_pit » February 9th, 2010, 11:31 pm

I am not asking for permission.
I am asking for ideas of things I can do to help make the transition go smoothly. I do have a plan for how to go about doing this , if I do this, but there are always things to learn or that I don't know about.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby Jenn » February 9th, 2010, 11:35 pm

I don't really know how much of a difference there is, my only concern would be the training that would need to be continued (I'm only assuming here, OBVIOUSLY there is a big difference in your dogs vs mine) and your dad's ability to be as devoted as you are.. :| Things always seem great, but sometimes it doesn't work out that way.
Otherwise, I wish you luck, hope your dad is all "into" continuing his training, and I hope everything works out! Your plan sounds like a good start as far as spending days there to set up your dad with all the info he needs. I'm sure it will be extremely hard to leave him for a while.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby mnp13 » February 10th, 2010, 3:17 am

furever_pit wrote:
mnp13 wrote:Without full story, I can't really comment. Sorry.

To be honest, I'm not real sure what the reasons behind the rehome have to do with advice on the rehome itself.

If you truly didn't see how it pertained to the discussion then you wouldn't have made a point of saying that you were intentionally not going to share details.

We purchased ruby to work. It was appaernt in under 24 hours that she would likely never be suited for it. Demo wanted to return her that day, I said no. If you bought him to work and he is unsuited, rehoming him makes sense. Rehoming him because you don't feel like dealing with the pain in the ass stages of development? Not so much. Rehoming because the opportunity to get another puppy has come up and you are picking the puppy over him for the time being... Well, in my book that's just not cool. (Please forgive me if I am not correctly reading between the lines on this one, but from other posts and this, that's what its seeming like)

Sure you are intending to get him back at some point, but foundation work is critical and he's been started. Your father is not you, and though he is very competent it doesn't mean that things will be followed the same way.

I think we should also keep this in perspective. It is not like I am dropping the dog off at the shelter. He is going to an experienced dog home where he will receive regular vet care and he won't be bred, fought, or abused. Tragic eh?

A good, responsible home with vet care. That's great. I'll say the same thing to you that I tell everyone who tells me they want to rehome their dog - a dog's best home is usually where it already is. I don't think this is an easy choice for you, or that you're being flip about it.

Missy - the situation with Gotty was very different
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Malli » February 10th, 2010, 3:28 am

I myself would have a difficult time doing what you are talking about...

I would be worried that the bond between you and Gator would be broken in this time frame, would that not affect his working ability?

I guess whatever the situation, as long as the dog's mental and physical needs are met :|
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby TheRedQueen » February 10th, 2010, 7:29 am

I personally would have a really hard time handing my dog's puppyhood over to someone else. :nono: I'm very particular, in my own way, about what I want my dogs to experience, see and do while they're young. If I adopt an older dog...it's been done, I can only work on who they are...but if I have a puppy...I want to have my say about what they see/do. I have high hopes for my dogs also...and I like to help them be the best for the sports/jobs I participate in...and I really can't see letting anyone else help out. But again, that's me. Score is exactly what I want in a flyball dog, a service demo dog and a pet dog...with a few minor issues of course, because no dog is perfect...but I'm not sure I would have gotten the same dog if I'd handed him off to someone else. Maybe, because part of it is just HIM...but a lot of it is what he did with me.

So yeah, put me on the confused "eh, not so much" side...not sure what you're asking...not sure what you're doing... :| But good luck to you and Gator...whatever happens.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby furever_pit » February 10th, 2010, 8:23 am

mnp13 wrote:We purchased ruby to work. It was appaernt in under 24 hours that she would likely never be suited for it. Demo wanted to return her that day, I said no. If you bought him to work and he is unsuited, rehoming him makes sense. Rehoming him because you don't feel like dealing with the pain in the ass stages of development? Not so much. Rehoming because the opportunity to get another puppy has come up and you are picking the puppy over him for the time being... Well, in my book that's just not cool. (Please forgive me if I am not correctly reading between the lines on this one, but from other posts and this, that's what its seeming like)

Sure you are intending to get him back at some point, but foundation work is critical and he's been started. Your father is not you, and though he is very competent it doesn't mean that things will be followed the same way.

A good, responsible home with vet care. That's great. I'll say the same thing to you that I tell everyone who tells me they want to rehome their dog - a dog's best home is usually where it already is. I don't think this is an easy choice for you, or that you're being flip about it.

Missy - the situation with Gotty was very different

Just because I am curious, what others posts are you talking about?

No concrete decisions have been made about what is going to happen with Gator. It is just a possibility that I am exploring.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Next

Return to Pit Bull Talk