I'm thinking Celena should get her CGC...

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby HappyChick » February 8th, 2010, 8:34 pm

she is 5 months old and I need help figuring this all out. I plan to enroll her in obedience classes as soon as they are offered here again. That will probably be in the Spring. I really want to do things right this time, not that Vinny was a bad dog, he was great, but I know I can do even better by Celena.

Am I giving her a good start at home? She does sit very well, stay is good, come is good (unless she is outside and finds something more interesting to her than I am), she is learning "leave it" and "look at me", and working on not jumping on people when they come in the front door. I think she does pretty good for a baby. She also walks well on a leash, but we haven't been out walking at all since the weather has been nasty.

I'm also thinking she may be cut out for other things as well, but I'm not sure how far I want to go with this or would even be able to go with the limitations of where we live. She FLYS over the baby gates in the house, doesn't even touch them when she jumps. She loves to jump. She army crawls a lot. She is lean, muscular, and seems very athletic. She can run almost as fast as Reno and Reno is FAST.

Please give me any and all suggestions you've got. Thanks!
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby BullyLady » February 8th, 2010, 8:37 pm

Sounds like she is off to a good start!

Here is a list of the test items, you can decide if you think she is ready for each of these items before you take her in for a test:

http://www.akc.org/events/cgc/training_testing.cfm
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby amazincc » February 8th, 2010, 8:57 pm

I think Celena should get her pictures updated. :rolleyes2: :|

:wink: :D
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby HappyChick » February 9th, 2010, 5:18 pm

BullyLady wrote:Sounds like she is off to a good start!

Here is a list of the test items, you can decide if you think she is ready for each of these items before you take her in for a test:

http://www.akc.org/events/cgc/training_testing.cfm

Thank you for the input, it gives me a better understanding of the specifics we need to work on. Do you see any problems with what I'm doing with her now at her age? Does it seem I'm going at a good pace for her age? I don't want to overwhelm her, but I also don't want to be too slack.

amazincc wrote:I think Celena should get her pictures updated. :rolleyes2: :|

:wink: :D

Christine, you and the pictures!!! I can post the latest, but she isn't doing anything in them really and that makes for boring viewing. I'll try to get some "action" shots later today. :D
Angie & crew

HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby furever_pit » February 9th, 2010, 6:11 pm

I think the CGC is an excellent goal!

I may not win any friends with this, but I personally will not do the CGC with a dog under 18 months. I feel that the temperament of the dog isn't really set before that time - things like DA/DR have not developed - and IMHO that is not a true test of the dog.

I am also pretty lax with my young dog. Don't get me wrong, Gator has some OB and he trains. I take him out to work with him regularly but I also just let him be a puppy. He's goofy and dorky but he listens. He doesn't have the same rules as Dylan but as he gets older he will gradually be asked for the same caliber of behavior.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby HappyChick » February 12th, 2010, 6:45 pm

:bump:

I've got some good input from a couple of members, but what about the rest of you??? Are there other threads out there I should refer to? Should I be working with her with a goal of summer 2011 to do the test? She will be almost two years old then. Also do the dog trainers here think obedience classes are appropriate for a dog under one year old? I know I'm showing my ignorance here about training dogs, but I want to go farther with Celena than I have wanted to do with my other dogs. I know this forum is the best place to get the guidance that I need.

I'm also thinking that CGC is not where we will stop. Maybe, maybe, maybe she can be a therapy dog, but I know that I will need a lot of training for that...
Angie & crew

HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby amazincc » February 12th, 2010, 7:02 pm

Goals are a good thing. :D

I think it depends largely on each individual dog/owner to figure out when the dog is ready to be tested.
I also think that a dog is never too young to work on obedience... again, it depends on the dog and his/her responsiveness to training.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Return to Training & Behavior