First Day Back on Raw

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby luvmyangels » May 3rd, 2006, 3:47 pm

Magnolia618 wrote:I switched all of my dogs er... cold turkey lol and they did wonderful.

Everyone over analyzes everything when they start raw. I was SO damn confused and scared. I wanted to make sure everything was perfect and 100% correct and blah blah blah blah blah.

Once you get over that part, you just throw them a hunk of meat every night and that is it. I give kelp and eggs and stuff a couple times a week, and I fast for one day, but I dont keep track of anything. Raw feeding is EASY people. Just take a deep breath and jump right in. Also, remember that some people feed meat/organs ONLY. No kelp, no eggs, no veggies, and they're dogs are as healthy as can be. I suggest adding stuff, though.

I guarentee that all of you who have started raw will think it is the easiest thing in the world in a couple weeks. And it will be SOOOOOOOOOOO much simpler.

Thank you. I appreciate your understanding and the fact that you can empathize with my over analyzing.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby luvmyangels » May 4th, 2006, 11:41 am

Ok here is my next question because I am a little concerned. I have been giving them chicken thighs and both Cookie and Teddy are chewing them. Today was the first time Teddy ate one and I am so proud of him. But my concern is for Knuckles. He chews once or twice and then just swallows. He does not crunch very much. Should I be concerned?? I am getting scared again.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » May 4th, 2006, 11:43 am

Yeah, he needs to chew. Maybe you should try holding the thigh as he eats it, force him to chew. Or you could chop it up into pieces so he has no choice but to eat slowely.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby luvmyangels » May 4th, 2006, 11:51 am

cheekymunkee wrote:Yeah, he needs to chew. Maybe you should try holding the thigh as he eats it, force him to chew. Or you could chop it up into pieces so he has no choice but to eat slowely.

Do you think he is going to have a problem since he has not been chewing it? I am so afraid something will happen to him?
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » May 4th, 2006, 12:28 pm

No, he shouldn't. The main thing I would worry about is choking. My little dog threw up & choked on some pretty big pieces she had gulped down. Luckily I was right there when it happened & saved her.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby luvmyangels » May 4th, 2006, 9:30 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:No, he shouldn't. The main thing I would worry about is choking. My little dog threw up & choked on some pretty big pieces she had gulped down. Luckily I was right there when it happened & saved her.

That must have been scarey.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Magnolia618 » May 5th, 2006, 12:00 am

Maggie is good at chewing her food, but if its something that is easy to eat (like wings) she chews it once or twice and then swallows. I've never had a problem. :|
“Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.â€
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby dogcrazyjen » May 5th, 2006, 8:31 am

You can buy (or steal from your husband:wink: ) a small hatchet, and use that on a plastic cutting board to break up the bones. Works awesome, but you may want to go outside-it will splatter a bit!
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby luvmyangels » May 5th, 2006, 8:31 am

This morning I tried to hold the thighs for Knuckles and he took two bites and stared at me. So I put him in his crate (where I normally feed him) and I kept telling him to slow down. He actually ate a little slower and I heard a few more crunches.

Has anyone ever fed chicken legs? Is there too much bone in them?
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Maryellen » May 5th, 2006, 8:52 am

he might be gulping to prevent the other dogs from stealing his food.. i used to feed chicken quarters to mine, which is the thigh and leg, and also just the legs and thighs too.. they all did fine .. i would also tell them to eat slow eat slow., and anyone that gulped i would step in and hold the chicken while they ate.
you could do what everyone else is suggesting too, hammer the bones if you feel uncomfortable
Maryellen
I live here

Postby luvmyangels » May 5th, 2006, 11:32 am

This morning my husband and I were skinning the chicken thighs and when we got done we looked at it and could understand why Knuckles may have vomited from it last time.

When I am feeding everyone they are all separated. Knuckles is crated in the kitchen, Teddy is out on the deck with the gates closed on the deck and Cookie is in the yard area.

The area for the dogs will hopefully be done soon. They are putting the poles in for the chainlink fence today. The dogs will have a 21x24 area for themselves. Yeah!!!
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby luvmyangels » May 7th, 2006, 9:42 am

Hi everyone! So far Raw is going fine. But I have some questions regarding cost factor and how everyone keep their costs down. How much is everyone paying per pound for things? Unfortunately there is not a coop group around me to get better pricing. In a few months I will be going upstate to my in-laws and I know there are some farms up there that sell Raw for dogs so I will drop by them. I am going this week to check out a store where everyone in the area buys their Raw. But they only have mixtures and I do need meaty bones too.

Thank you for any info. you can provide.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » May 7th, 2006, 12:02 pm

Well, last night I paid 21 cents a pound for quarters, 39 cents a pound for beef liver, 49 cents a pound for pork necks, 69 cents for beef kidney. There are several ethnic grocers near me and that's where I buy their food. I wait for sales & stock up. Look for chicken quarters in 10 pound bags. Most grocers around here carry them and I know other parts of the country have them too. They run CHEAP, the most I have ever paid has been 49 cents a pound for them at Walmart. I have found pork neck bones at Walmart for 89 cents a pound but I think that is too expensive. Check out Asian stores, Mexican stores, you can find great deals there.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby cheekymunkee » May 7th, 2006, 12:13 pm

I looked up Long Island grocery stores & found these in the way of Asian & Mexican stores, check them out!

Eastwind Trading Oriental Market
27 Jackson Ave., Syosset (OysBy)..........................................................................Tel: 516-496-3585
Syosset RR; Map

Oriental Groceries & Crafts
2460 Nesconset Hwy., Stony Brook (Brkhvn)........................................................Tel: 631-689-8787
Map

Tokyo Sushi & Grocery
41 Berry Hill Rd., Syosset (OysBy)............................................................................Tel: 516-677-9742

Coyoacan Mexican Grocery
1026 New York Ave. (110 so./25A), Huntington Station (Hunt)..........................Tel: 631-547-7259
Map

La Bodega Hispana
1888 New York Ave. (110 so./25A), Huntington Station (Hunt)..........................Tel: 631-549-1676
Map

Quisqueya Grocery
19 Bridge St., Glen Cove (OysBy)..............................................................................Tel: 516-759-4346

ANd don't be afraid to try new meats with them. I have bought whole talapia for 99 cents a pound & fed them. It grossed me out to no end ( a fish head fell on my foot & stared at me) so I doubt I do that again. Munkee also peed on a fish head that was staring at him. Now I give them canned mackeral a couple times a week for their omegas. I have given them duck which they liked, and lamb whcih gave them the WORST gas ever. Paint peeling gas. SHop around & experiment, it's fun!

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby luvmyangels » May 7th, 2006, 2:06 pm

Debby-

Thank you so much for looking up the stores you did. You have found some great deals where you live. When you go to these places do you find the prices you have paid or do you try and see what items they may have for dogs that may be less money? Or will they be offended?

The Tilapia (however you spell it) made me laugh especially because Munkee peed on its head. LOL. We have a small boat which has a motor that we are not sure is that reliable but I'd like to try and get it in the water this year to see because we can go fishing for fluke and other fish. Free works for me but then again with the gas prices.

I have seen a lot of people saying they feed their dogs pig and sheep head. How do people feed their dogs heads of animals? That scares me.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » May 7th, 2006, 2:29 pm

I just pay whatever they have advertised. I haven't asked the butcher for scraps, bones or meat they are pulling from the shelf but I know a lot of people do! They won't be offended & it could save you some money. Just tell them you are feeding your dogs meat & ask if they have any meat scraps & bones they could sell you. Our grocers send out weekly circulars & I watch for good prices & stock up but I do visit the smaller family owned gorcers too. I also visit butcher shops occasionally too but I seem to find better deals at the mexican grocery stores.

ANd I have never fed a head. That grosses me out. I have fed beef cheek meat & they liked it.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby luvmyangels » May 7th, 2006, 2:33 pm

Debby-
Thanks so much for your insight. I am just thrilled at this point that no one has puked since we started. I know I am now jinxing myself but let's hope it stays this way.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby luvmyangels » May 7th, 2006, 2:35 pm

How long until after you start feeding Raw do you see a difference? I think I already see a difference when looking at both Cookie and Knuckles. But Knuckles is still a baby and is growing everyday. I had to loosen his collar today because his neck grew again.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » May 7th, 2006, 3:03 pm

Pretty quick! Their coats looked better almost immediatly, their breath smelled better & Munkee's eye buggers went away. Ollie is a pom/spitz mix & her coat always smelled doggy no matter how much she was bathed. She smells much better on raw.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby luvmyangels » May 8th, 2006, 3:58 pm

I am happy to say we have made it to the 6th day without anyone of my 3 dogs vomiting. They seem to be doing very well.

But when I went out in the yard for poop patrol I have not seen as much as I had when they were on kibble. Is it normal that they have less poop? I have not yet seen a change as in diarrhea or anything. This is a much different experience than I had last time.

When feeding green tripe how often are you supposed to give it? How much do you give at one time? My dogs are 70, 55 & 50 lbs.

Thanks for your time.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition & Health