Truman isn't acting right

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby iluvk9 » February 7th, 2010, 9:48 am

I can't figure out what it is. I get the feeling he hurt his back, but he isn't limping.

Here is what I see:

When he goes to stand up, he gets up fine, but is very cautious. But he growls to himself, and makes a weird throat noise like he is in pain somewhere.He bristles his fur near his tail. His body sometimes quivers. He won't run outside with the others even after a squirrel.

He always comes upstairs to sleep, but the past 3 nights, he is staying in the dog den on the twin bed with Lenny. (I had him walk up the stairs and he was slow, but fine.)

When I get their food ready, he usually is up my ass. Now he just waits in the other room until I call him. (He eats/pees/poops fine.No vomiting.)

He is a loner. He prefers to NOT go outside when normally, he was breaking down the door to go play. (No limping noticed.)

He hasn't gotten into any poisons, eating plants in the house or animals outside. (No fur or feathers lying around, and Darlene is the one that usually eats small animals.)

I am at my wits end trying to figure out what it could be. You got anything?
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Marinepits » February 7th, 2010, 9:58 am

Mac gets up VERY slowly and stiffly if his hips are bothering him, and he's been known to grumble when this happens. Sometimes his hackles go up, too. I usually just enforce rest on him and he's better in a couple of days. I generally don't give him pain meds unless he's REALLY bad, just because I don't want him to injure himself further while the pain is masked by medication.

It does sound as if Truman's back and/or hips are bothering him. Did you see him take a spill or weird slip recently that could have wrenched his back out-of-shape?

If this goes on for another day or so with no signs of improvement, I would definitely take him in for an exam/x-rays.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby ArtGypsy » February 7th, 2010, 9:59 am

:( :( :( :(
Oh Joyce, Of course I don't have anything, but can send you both some warm_luv-thoughts......
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby Pit♥bull » February 7th, 2010, 10:02 am

:goodthoughts: :goodthoughts: :goodthoughts:
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby iluvk9 » February 7th, 2010, 10:04 am

Thanks Jen. I know he plays VERY rough with Lenny and is always being slammed on his back when Lenny grabs his legs and yanks on them. Maybe that is what happened.

He "always growls like a Rotti" but this is just a different growl.

I just took him out on a leash in the yard and he walked "too well" next to me. He is usually a bull in a china shop, but was VERY reserved.

And all the others kept smelling him, like when one returns from the Vet. :|

I will leash walk him in the yard and get a Vet appt for an xray. :sad2:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby LMM » February 7th, 2010, 10:25 am

I agree with taking him in for x-rays to see what's going on. I hate when you know something is going on but there are no really overt signs.

Lots of thoughts coming your way! We can't have anything happen to our horse now!
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby Marinepits » February 7th, 2010, 10:30 am

iluvk9 wrote: but was VERY reserved.

And all the others kept smelling him, like when one returns from the Vet. :|

Yup, those are the two signs in my household where I KNOW something is going on, but there are no specific signs/symptoms other than an "off-ness". All the dogs (even Mac who normally couldn't care less) have been sniffing Katy a lot lately, so.....
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby madremissy » February 7th, 2010, 10:58 am

Same symptoms Sammy had with his back. Sending my big guy lots of love and good thoughts.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby katiek0417 » February 7th, 2010, 11:14 am

Lots of good thoughts from here, Joyce...and I agree, sounds a lot like back or hips...has it been icy up there at all?

Do you have any Rimadyl or anything you can give him for now (until you can get in for x-rays)?
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby iluvk9 » February 7th, 2010, 11:20 am

No, ice. But he literally throws himself on the ground and wrestles with Lenny for fun.

No Rimadyl in the house.

Off to buy buffered aspirin until Vet sees him. He is rather snarky right now. :sad2: I am going with 5 mg/pound, but not to exceed 325 mg in 12 hours. (As per all my googling Vet sites and information in our nutrition section.) I will not go by his actual weight of 130 pounds, because that would exceed the amt of 325mg. I will just go with the lower amt.

If anyone has any other interpretation of how much I am giving him, please post it. I will read this before I give it to him. Thanks. :dance:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby katiek0417 » February 7th, 2010, 11:26 am

iluvk9 wrote:No, ice. But he literally throws himself on the ground and wrestles with Lenny for fun.

No Rimadyl in the house.

Off to buy buffered aspirin until Vet sees him. He is rather snarky right now. :sad2: I am going with 5 mg/pound, but not to exceed 325 mg in 12 hours. (As per all my googling Vet sites and information in our nutrition section.) I will not go by his actual weight of 130 pounds, because that would exceed the amt of 325mg. I will just go with the lower amt.

If anyone has any other interpretation of how much I am giving him, please post it. I will read this before I give it to him. Thanks. :dance:

I know you checked his back...but will he lay down and let you stretch his legs out, etc? That might give you a better idea if it's his hips...

I'm sorry, Joyce...I'm sending lots of good thoughts from here... :hug3:
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby hugapitbull » February 7th, 2010, 11:36 am

Oh, Truman, feel better soon, big guy!
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby airwalk » February 7th, 2010, 11:40 am

Sending good thoughts your way. I hate it when you know something is "off" but you can't figure out what. Hopefully it will be just that he strained something when being a goof.
airwalk
I live here

Postby Suzi » February 7th, 2010, 12:00 pm

Awwww,,,,poor Truman (I have secretly adored him afar for sometime now).
Would it be out of order to maybe give him a buffered asprin just to keep him comfy for today until he can get into the vet?
Sending well wishes.........
Suzi
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby iluvk9 » February 7th, 2010, 12:48 pm

Thanks, everyone. I gave him half the buffered aspirin, and will give him the other half later.

katiek0417 wrote:I know you checked his back...but will he lay down and let you stretch his legs out, etc? That might give you a better idea if it's his hips...

He is so "out of sorts" I am not going to chance it. I think he would bite me, or I might hurt him more.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Pit♥bull » February 7th, 2010, 12:51 pm

iluvk9 wrote:I will leash walk him in the yard and get a Vet appt for an xray. :sad2:
You may want to check with a Farrier, he may need reshoed :|

Sorry Joyce... I couldn't resist.
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby iluvk9 » February 7th, 2010, 1:47 pm

Pit♥Bull wrote:You may want to check with a Farrier, he may need reshoed :|

8)

Here he is looking so NOT TRUMAN.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Pit♥bull » February 7th, 2010, 1:58 pm

iluvk9 wrote:Here he is looking so NOT TRUMAN.
Poor baby, he looks so sad and under the weather. :(

:hug3: :goodthoughts:
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby carrieinindy » February 7th, 2010, 2:22 pm

In regards to aspirin usage, I would give 5-10mg/# with a small meal and an H2 blocker (pepcid i.e. 30mg-for his weight- once to twice daily) to protect/prevent gastric irritation. If your vet finds that the hips are bothering him, he/she may recommend a "wash-out" period between changing types of NSAIDs. If that is the case, tramadol is a pain med that can help during this time frame. I think your idea of starting at the low end dosage is great until you can get in to see your vet. HTH!
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated”
~Mahatma Gandhi
carrieinindy
Just Whelped

Postby Malli » February 7th, 2010, 2:34 pm

Hi Joyce :)

IME definitely sounds like a pain response. Could also be abdominal pain like Pancreatitis etc - back pain and abdominal pain can look almost identical; with both he'll be hesitant to lay down or stand, may have a hunched appearance or be reluctant to stretch, and will be careful how he moves and places his feet and steps.

Please do make sure to tell the Vet that Truman has taken the Aspirin when you take him in.

You could also try offering him a Heating Pad or hot water bottle(s for the pony!) to see if it helps for some temporary relief.

Good thoughts for Truman...
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health