Hello Bully Collar

Have a Bully related CafePress store? Do you make or sell dog products? Let us know so we can shop there! Posting animals for sale is against board policy

Postby Ellas_Daddy » February 4th, 2010, 7:38 pm

The collar will hold up fine. I don't make crap-quality stuff.

Perhaps you should ask CollarMania and Paco Collars the same question. They make equally high-quality products. So does Brad.
Ellas_Daddy
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » February 4th, 2010, 10:15 pm

Ellas_Daddy wrote:The collar will hold up fine. I don't make crap-quality stuff.

I guess I missed where I said anything about crap. :|

Belts stretch at the holes not in the back. Shoes give at the stitching not in the middle. My question related to the amount that that number of punctures would affect the overall strength and durability of the collar.

I never said - or implied - it was going to tear in half like paper.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Ellas_Daddy » February 4th, 2010, 10:46 pm

Collars like these have been made for years. I'm curious to as why you are singling us out for questioning.

The leather is not the weak point of the collar. The weak points would be rivets under stress. These rivets would be the ones immediately behind the big D-ring and to a lesser extent the buckle bar. Also, the rivets around the secondary D-ring would be under stress if pulled by a leash. We put four rivets behind the main D-ring for security. Again, the leather is not the weak point even if it was swiss cheese. Steel I-beams have lightening holes punched through them (even ones used in a sheering application). The weak point is where they are bolted. Thus, all the emphasis on torque values when assembling them. The rivets are equivalent to the bolts. I make sure each one is secured and properly mushroomed in its head. Of course, the tongue holes elongate with time. I could slap steel grommets in them and they would still elongate. The grommet would probably fall out first.

Don't act all innocent when you are clearly calling us out on a non-issue. If you don't want a decorated leather collar, get a quadruple ply nylon, then.
Ellas_Daddy
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » February 5th, 2010, 12:36 am

Ellas_Daddy wrote:Collars like these have been made for years. I'm curious to as why you are singling us out for questioning.

I happened to ask the question in this thread because I happened to look at that collar and happened to see a great number of rivets on it in very close proximity. If there have been others then I must have missed them because I would have asked the same thing.

Of course, the tongue holes elongate with time. I could slap steel grommets in them and they would still elongate. The grommet would probably fall out first.

Uh... that would be EXACTLY what I asked about. The tongue holes elongate because they are holes in the leather. Every hole in the leather is a point where there is higher stress because the material has been punctured. So if there are 20 rivet holes in a line, then there are 20 holes to elongate. If 20 holes each elongate a 32nd of an inch, that's over a 1/2 inch that the collar just "grew" and if I don't notice the collar is slowly growing, then that half inch could very well be the difference between a collar that fits my dog aggressive dog, and one that he can yank his head out of. And THAT makes my question plenty valid.

Oh - the grommet would fall out because a 1/4 inch grommet will remain 1/4 inch in diameter, the hole stretches so when the hole gets to be too large to hold that 1/4 inch grommet the grommet falls out. You're pissed off at me, but you are actually stating exactly what I asked in the first place... that holes in leather tend to stretch.

Don't act all innocent when you are clearly calling us out on a non-issue. If you don't want a decorated leather collar, get a quadruple ply nylon, then.

I'm not "acting" anything. It was a simple question. I find it rather interesting that you had a freekin heart attack over it.

Ellas_Daddy wrote:If you don't want a decorated leather collar, get a quadruple ply nylon, then.

I greatly prefer leather actually, and I like them decorated. But frankly, if you can't handle a simple direct question about how they hold up with that much decoration on them then I'll pass on ordering one.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Ellas_Daddy » February 5th, 2010, 8:38 am

I'm done with this BS. I'm not having a heart attack. I have much more important matters to deal with than this forum drama. You know exactly what you are doing. You've done it in the past and continue to do so. I'm done.
Ellas_Daddy
Just Whelped

Postby chewbecca » February 5th, 2010, 8:46 am

Our collars are fine and durable.

This is stupid.
Michelle, you asked a question (or questions) and I answered it (them).

We didn't punch holes all over that collar.
The bordering is done with prong spots, which are set with small slits cut into the leather, not holes.
Not rivets.

There are rivets, however, near the buckle area to hold it in place.

You wanna question the functionality of rivets in leather, fine.
But most leather makers use them. And guess what? Their stuff holds up fine.

This thread has gone down hill, and that was NEVER my intent. I posted a collar I made for an organization that does wonderful things, and an organization that we are proud to have donated to, and this thread has gone to crap.
If you didn't want to accept my answers, why didn't you PM me for further questioning instead of polluting my positive thread with drama?

As I've already stated: If I trust MY dog aggressive dog in our collars, then they are fine for anyone else's dog aggressive dog.
Sheesh.
I tried to answer politely.
Oh, and the buckle action secures the collar, not the tongue. The tongue is usually bent to minimize elongation. The tongue hole gets elongated from being passed through the hole day in and day out. And this is going to happen on ANY leather collar.

Does that answer your question???

Sorry to all who may be reading this thread that you have to witness and read such stupid drama.
I didn't intend for it to go this way.

On that note, I hope all questions were answered, if not, anyone can feel free to PM me or contact me via our email address on our website, http://www.ellaslead.com

I, too, am done with this thread, or at least, the drama portion of this thread.
http://www.ellaslead.com
The only lead you'll ever need.
chewbecca
Loyally Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » February 5th, 2010, 9:14 pm

I think it is beautiful & if I had any cash I would get on for Justice & one in black for Munkee. We love "bling"
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby mnp13 » February 5th, 2010, 11:23 pm

Hi! Just back from the auction!!

Ellas_Daddy wrote:I'm done with this BS. I'm not having a heart attack. I have much more important matters to deal with than this forum drama. You know exactly what you are doing. You've done it in the past and continue to do so. I'm done.

:rolleyes2: WTFE. Yup, I know exactly what I'm doing alright - asking a question about the durability and strength of a collar that appears to have well over 50 holes in the base layer. As for "doing it in the past" uh.. yeah, sure, if you say so.

chewbecca wrote:I tried to answer politely.

I didn't think you were rude. :|

chewbecca wrote:This thread has gone down hill, and that was NEVER my intent

Funny, mine either.

chewbecca wrote:We didn't punch holes all over that collar.
The bordering is done with prong spots, which are set with small slits cut into the leather, not holes.
Not rivets.

Oh dear Lord - now let's not split hairs or anything! They aren't "holes" they are "slits"... which are just thin, rectangular holes instead of round ones. :rolleyes2:

chewbecca wrote:The tongue is usually bent to minimize elongation. The tongue hole gets elongated from being passed through the hole day in and day out. And this is going to happen on ANY leather collar

You know something, I'm not an idiot, neither are any of the people reading this thread. The tongue holes get elongated as the leather stretches. I have belts with holes I have NEVER used that are elongated. They are elongated because the leather has broken in and stretched. The holes that I use the most are the most elongated because that's where all the "pull" from the buckle is. Yes, it happens in any leather collar and any leather belt and any leather anything.

It's extremely obvious on my stirrup leathers - the holes at the top that have NEVER had a buckle through them are long ovals, the holes that I have used are long ovals, the holes near the end that have never had a buckle through them but have also never held the weight of a rider are nice and round just like new.

You know, you're right, this never had to digress to this rediculous level... here, let me start again:

mnp13 wrote:That's a LOT of holes in that leather, I would worry about the overall strength of it under working load. What sort of stress tests are you putting it through before and after?

I think it's pretty, but my dogs are very hard on collars.

Now you:
"Yes there are a lot of decorations on it, but most are not rivets so they are set using small fine slits in the leather, not holes. We haven't had any complaints of excessive stretching or other problems with the collars even when they have a lot of decorations on them. We don't do any specific tests on them, but have had no problems with our dogs or reports of problems. We don't consider them working collars or tie out collars."

Now me:
"oh, ok, thanks for clarifying."

fin.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby chewbecca » February 6th, 2010, 12:42 am

cheekymunkee wrote:I think it is beautiful & if I had any cash I would get on for Justice & one in black for Munkee. We love "bling"

Thank you. :mrgreen:
chewbecca
Loyally Bully

Postby plebayo » February 6th, 2010, 2:58 am

:rolleyes2:

I think the collar looks AWESOME! I'm saving up for a collar for at least one of my dogs. I know the price reflects the materials and handy work but I'm too poor to get my kids a nice leather collar. :|

I REALLY love all the bling with the pink, it's totally awesome!
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby chewbecca » February 6th, 2010, 10:24 am

Thank you, Suzanne! :D
I appreciate the compliments.

On another note, does anyone here plan to make it to the Hello Bully Gala this year?
I'd go if I lived closer.
chewbecca
Loyally Bully

Postby DeeNtheChillas » February 6th, 2010, 8:40 pm

One of these days ill have a dog big enough for such a collar!
Dee and the furry babies:
Lizz (11 y/o beagle x toy fox terrier)
Blazer (7 y/o chihuahua x boston terrier)
Valentino (less than a year old pit bull)
Tyler and Victoria, the kitties
and the 'chillas
Humble Acres Chinchillas
http://www.humbleacreschinchillas.com
DeeNtheChillas
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby airwalk » February 6th, 2010, 10:47 pm

Wow that is beautiful....I have all boys and they are definitely not bling guys, but if they were...we'd be talking girlfriend.

Plus that if I buy any more collars for a bit...Missy and I may be looking for a flat together.....You guys know of any place that would take .... a pack like ours.
airwalk
I live here

Postby amazincc » February 6th, 2010, 10:50 pm

airwalk wrote:
Plus that if I buy any more collars for a bit...Missy and I may be looking for a flat together.....You guys know of any place that would take .... a pack like ours.

Yup. :wave2: :D :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby airwalk » February 6th, 2010, 10:52 pm

Cool...watch for the moving trucks out front! Missy, Diana, Kinzly, Scooter, Magic and little Mr. No Hips could be showing up any day now.
airwalk
I live here

Postby madremissy » February 6th, 2010, 10:55 pm

airwalk wrote:Cool...watch for the moving trucks out front! Missy, Diana, Kinzly, Scooter, Magic and little Mr. No Hips could be showing up any day now.

Don't forget about Sammy. He can't live without his Mama. :D

Rebecca, I wish I could come to the gala but I unfortunately I can't. Can't wait to hear how it went
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby airwalk » February 6th, 2010, 10:57 pm

I am soooo sorry Sammy, I would never forget the little dog! Wow Christine we are going to have a full house.
airwalk
I live here

Postby LMM » February 7th, 2010, 12:34 am

DeeNtheChillas wrote:One of these days ill have a dog big enough for such a collar!

Yes, yes you will :D
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby LMM » February 7th, 2010, 12:35 am

airwalk wrote:I am soooo sorry Sammy, I would never forget the little dog! Wow Christine we are going to have a full house.

Additions can always be built.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby Patch O' Pits » February 7th, 2010, 9:49 am

Pretty! :)
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

PreviousNext

Return to Marketplace