Strange tail lesion?

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » May 4th, 2006, 7:45 am

I noticed this on Sidney's tail last night. The hair was sticking out funny, so I examined closer. Then I trimmed the hairs around it so I can keep an eye on it.
It doesn't really seem to bother her, I saw her chew at it only once. It is hard and kind of bumpy, not really red, and the skin on it is sort of flaky. It really doesn't seem to have any puss or fluid inside. It feels like a callous (sp?)
Anybody have any ideas about what it is? I will talk with my vet about it this afternoon to see if he wants me to bring her in.

The photos aren't the best, but you can get the idea.
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby a-bull » May 4th, 2006, 10:08 am

My girl had almost an identical issue with her tail, and the hair was really sparse, but just in a small area like that. I could never really find anything specific wrong with it, so I just kept an eye on it. It never got worse, but it never went away, either---so finally I used an anti-bacterial/antifungal spray from the pet supply store, just spritzing a little on like once or twice a day, (as I remembered), for only about a week or so. I didn't think it was doing anything, so I gave up. Lo & behold, the fur very slowly started growing back, and now her tail is all full and fluffy again, (but it did take quite a while).

:| :|

From your picture, it certainly doesn't look like a crisis, so maybe go for the "watch & see" approach for a bit??

Let us know how you make out. :)
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby Marinepits » May 4th, 2006, 10:28 am

That is an odd "spot" for sure. :?

I know dogs have a gland on their tails (about half-way down on the topside of the tail) and sometimes the hair just gradually falls out at that spot. I've asked several vets about this and no one seems to have an answer and they aren't concerned. Doesn't seem to bother the dogs, though, so I haven't done anything about it. :|
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby a-bull » May 4th, 2006, 10:32 am

Marinepits wrote:That is an odd "spot" for sure. :?

I know dogs have a gland on their tails (about half-way down on the topside of the tail) and sometimes the hair just gradually falls out at that spot. I've asked several vets about this and no one seems to have an answer and they aren't concerned. Doesn't seem to bother the dogs, though, so I haven't done anything about it. :|

That's right! Say, you're good!! I remember my vet saying that!!! When Soph was having anal gland problems, he said sometimes they'll start biting at that area, too---but then when he checked her glands, they just needed a little expressing, but were fine. :| Plus, what's odd, is her tail now looks great, and she has been scooting, etc., but not bothering with the tail.

:|
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby Marinepits » May 4th, 2006, 10:42 am

Ugh. No anal gland stories -- Shorty has major issues there and it is NOT pleasant! It's way worse than dripping winkies, that's for sure! :shock: :)

The only other things I can think of are (1) possibly ringworm, but doesn't really look like it and (2) a lick granuloma, but that's only if she is chewing/licking at it a lot.

Maybe a scraping is in order, just to rule out something like ringworm or some possible fungal thing? :|
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby a-bull » May 4th, 2006, 10:48 am

A scraping is probably a good idea.

The spray I used, just fyi, is "Septi-Clens" antibacterial spray---helps infections and reduces fungal growth . . .
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby Marinepits » May 4th, 2006, 10:53 am

I used something that looked like Windex (but wasn't, of course). I think it was diluted chlorhexiderm, but that was a long time ago.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby a-bull » May 4th, 2006, 10:58 am

I think I know the stuff . . . light blueish---not presecription??
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby Marinepits » May 4th, 2006, 11:02 am

Yup. Worked great on Sam's nail fungus.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby a-bull » May 4th, 2006, 11:04 am

"Pet Relief" Anti-Itch Spray??
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby Marinepits » May 4th, 2006, 11:13 am

No, I got it at the vet years (10 +/-) ago, and it wasn't a brand name, per say. It was just a generic medicated solution. It was good for ear-cleaning, too.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby a-bull » May 4th, 2006, 11:15 am

:|

Do you have a closet full of animal lotions & potions like I do?? :rolleyes2:
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby Marinepits » May 4th, 2006, 11:20 am

Actually, this conversation has inspired me to clean out said closet! LOL.

Plus, Mac needs a bath, the itchy bugger.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » May 4th, 2006, 11:20 am

a-bull wrote::|

Do you have a closet full of animal lotions & potions like I do?? :rolleyes2:

lol I have one too!

Thanks for the responses. I was going to do a "wait and see". I'll talk with my vet, since I have to stop in this afternoon anyway. He'll let me know if he thinks we should scrape or not.
Like I said, it doesn't seem to bother her. :|
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby Marinepits » May 4th, 2006, 11:22 am

Ringworm usually itches like crazy, so that's another reason I don't think it's ringworm, but you never know. Plus, if it IS ringworm, that's extremely contagious and ALL members of your family will need to be disinfected and treated. Fingers crossed that it isn't! :D
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » May 4th, 2006, 12:25 pm

Marinepits wrote:Ringworm usually itches like crazy, so that's another reason I don't think it's ringworm, but you never know. Plus, if it IS ringworm, that's extremely contagious and ALL members of your family will need to be disinfected and treated. Fingers crossed that it isn't! :D

Well, this gets me wondering, because last week I noticed that our girl Jasmine had a spot of ringworm on her arm (looked totally different than the lesion on Sidney's tail, though). I just treated it with a topical antifungal and it went right away.
But if ringworm can look different, like maybe different types of ringworm :? , that might be what it is. I'll have to check it with a black light.
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby SpiritFngrz » May 4th, 2006, 12:41 pm

Marinepits wrote:No, I got it at the vet years (10 +/-) ago, and it wasn't a brand name, per say. It was just a generic medicated solution. It was good for ear-cleaning, too.

Nolvasan?
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby Marinepits » May 4th, 2006, 12:43 pm

SpiritFngrz wrote:
Marinepits wrote:No, I got it at the vet years (10 +/-) ago, and it wasn't a brand name, per say. It was just a generic medicated solution. It was good for ear-cleaning, too.

Nolvasan?

*DING*DING*DING*

Give the lady a prize! :D Yup, that's it!
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby a-bull » May 4th, 2006, 12:47 pm

Does she want a small stuffed animal from the bottom two shelves, or would she like to play again for one of the larger ones up top??? :popcorn2:
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby Malli » May 4th, 2006, 12:48 pm

chlorhexidine is great stuff!!
Antifungal and antibacterial.

Hibitane soap and cream has it, lots of different products for peopel and animals do!

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health