cooling down

Weight pull, Protection, Agility, Flyball... you name it!

Postby dogcrazyjen » May 4th, 2006, 10:55 am

I took Tallulah out in her sled today, she was tired after one lap of the yard with no weight. (1/3 mile?)

Anyone have any ideas about conditioning dogs for heat? She has such a hard time cooling herself down. If I have to wear a hat and gloves she can go forever, but as soon as you are in shirtsleeves she just has no stamina. Maybe wet her down first?

She weighs 38 pounds and is 16 inches at the shoulder, so she is not built for cooling.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby mnp13 » May 4th, 2006, 11:12 am

Wetting your dog down throughally is ok if they are overheated, but don't use cold water. If you do the blood vessels constrict from teh cold and the dog actually overheats faster.

She needs to adjust to the heat just like we do. Keep sessions short and make shure she drinks plenty. If she doesn't want to drink add a little milk to the water and they usually drink every drop.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby dogcrazyjen » May 4th, 2006, 11:22 am

Thanks, I never thought about adding milk to the water, good idea!

I didn't realize cold water did that. Good to know. I will use a squirt bottle with room temp water.

Thanks!
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Return to Sports