Poor Doogle dog

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby airwalk » February 4th, 2010, 8:32 pm

While I was gone, I got a call that he was limping a bit and didn't seem to want to stand for a long time. I had Tamara watch him and see if he was in any pain, refusing to stand, non weight bearing...nope none of that other than toe touching and had quite a waggle to his walk.

I decided to wait until I got home to deal with it. Took him to the vet today....severe hip dysplasia. Vet said one of the worst cases he's seen in a long while. Essentially Doogie has no ball and almost no socket. His hip was "out"..sort of since there is really no in for it to be out of.

So we are looking at surgery, but probably not for another year when he and his joints have matured a bit. In the meantime, I'm putting him on Ester C and continuing his glucosamine, fish oil and coconut oil hoping to manage it until he's matured.

We have no idea what he did to pop his hip out...and he never indicated any pain or discomfort.

On a side note...he doesn't come up out of telazol well...little tripper boy growled at everyone but me.
airwalk
I live here

Postby BullyLady » February 4th, 2010, 8:36 pm

If he has almost no socket then he didn't have to do anything to pop it out, it can just slide in and out. :(

Poor guy, I'm so sorry you and he have to deal with this. I hate hip dysplasia. :hug3:
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby pitbullmamaliz » February 4th, 2010, 9:14 pm

Poor kid. :( He may feel better if you post some pictures of him.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby madremissy » February 4th, 2010, 10:00 pm

:hug3: for Doogie.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby airwalk » February 4th, 2010, 10:31 pm

Yep it can basically slide out without actually having to do anything, should make the next year fun....he may feel better with pics...but not tonight, gotta go grocery shopping and to find him some Ester C.
airwalk
I live here

Postby BigDogBuford » February 4th, 2010, 11:00 pm

We had a four month old stray GSD pup come into the vet clinic I worked at like that. Worse they'd ever seen. I took him as a compassion case thinking he probably wouldn't live past a year or so. Sweetest dog....named him Petie. I kept him small, we did a femoral head/neck on the worse hip and he did well and lived to be almost 10! *hugs*
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby ArtGypsy » February 4th, 2010, 11:21 pm

Sending Warm Thoughts to You both.....

I'm so sorry this wasn't good news....
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby airwalk » February 5th, 2010, 12:15 am

My assumption is a femoral head on Doogs when he's about 18 months or so, if possible we are going to wait for his joints to mature a bit more. I am confident it'll be fine....I told Mike, instead of saving in the vacation fund...we now save in the Doogie's cute hips fund :)
airwalk
I live here

Postby Malli » February 5th, 2010, 4:05 am

HD ain't the end of it, not by a long shot! But it can be discouraging to hear about anything Chronic.

Have you considered Cartrophen or similar products?
Swimming will do wonders for the muscles around the joints too if you can get him to go in calmly :rolleyes2:

Give Doogie an extra treat for me.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Marinepits » February 5th, 2010, 8:57 am

Malli wrote:
Swimming will do wonders for the muscles around the joints too if you can get him to go in calmly :rolleyes2:

Agreed. Any low-impact exercise you can get him to do (calmly, LOL) will help strengthen the muscles around his hip joints and that will help stabilize his hips. We've done this with Mac and his hips are still "okay", but he's not as bad off as the Dooge.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby airwalk » February 5th, 2010, 2:31 pm

Calm...low impact..did you guys forget he's a puppy???? :D Actually, he's a pretty calm dog so while I refuse to try to keep him from being a puppy, we are monitoring activity and making sure there is plenty but it's relatively low impact.

We will begin Ester C which has shown some help with HD...and continue the low impact exercise and go from there.

I wish I had a scan of the xray..you guys would be saying something like I did ... which is "where's the hip"
airwalk
I live here

Postby LMM » February 5th, 2010, 2:48 pm

Awwww poor Doog!
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby amazincc » February 5th, 2010, 2:49 pm

Wow... he is so young. :shock: :sad2:

It's good thing for him that he adopted you. :wink: :hug3:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby TheRedQueen » February 5th, 2010, 2:57 pm

amazincc wrote:It's good thing for him that he adopted you. :wink: :hug3:

That was my thought too...what a lucky boy!

:hug3: to all of you...
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby blabsforbullies » February 8th, 2010, 5:25 pm

Oh geeze... I'm so sorry to hear about this. :sad2: I hope that he is doing ok after his telazol and sending you good hip vibes!!! :dance:
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby airwalk » February 8th, 2010, 11:04 pm

Thanks Doc...he did finally sleep off his telazol. We now know that Doogie can growl quite seriously :o :D he apparently doesn't like tripping much.

As long as I stay on top of his "cutting up" he does pretty well. Although he's getting very good and giving me to pitiful look when he "needs" to be lifted onto the bed. :rolleyes2: and of course, I fall for it.

I am giving him Ester C, which some research seems to show helps a bit. Won't cure it, nothing will, but if it brings him a bit of comfort while we wait for him to mature...okay.
airwalk
I live here

Postby madremissy » February 8th, 2010, 11:45 pm

:hug3: Doogie
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby airwalk » February 13th, 2010, 12:26 pm

Surgery for the left hip scheduled for February 25th! Any extra good thoughts would be very appreciated.
airwalk
I live here

Postby Malli » February 13th, 2010, 2:01 pm

good thoughts Doogie!
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » February 13th, 2010, 2:11 pm

I'm so glad that you're doing it sooner rather than later. Poor kid has to be uncomfortable. And I would think that being younger he would have a faster recovery, right?

:goodthoughts:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health